Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is BF slow lately, or is it more local to me?

Not a complaint, just curious...

For the past week or so, each time I open a thread, it almost always takes 20 seconds or so to appear. Sometimes trying again before it succeeds will speed it up, which could be a result of the second attempt getting a different route, already-cached content from the first attempt, etc.

I'm in central Louisiana on Suddenlink cable, but I've not noticed any slowness anywhere else significant - Just on BF.

Once again I'm not complaining and I know there's a lot that happens between browser and website (any site), but I'm just trying to get an idea if it's BF or if it's more localized.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it can be a little slow but it seems fast today.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Fail Boat crewman
    My Bikes
    Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is always slow for me. I usually have to stop the page and reload it twice on a good day. Today it does seem downright zippy.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works OK for me - not always the fastest, but fully acceptable.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lphilpot View Post
    Not a complaint, just curious...

For the past week or so, each time I open a thread, it almost always takes 20 seconds or so to appear. Sometimes trying again before it succeeds will speed it up, which could be a result of the second attempt getting a different route, already-cached content from the first attempt, etc.

I'm in central Louisiana on Suddenlink cable, but I've not noticed any slowness anywhere else significant - Just on BF.

Once again I'm not complaining and I know there's a lot that happens between browser and website (any site), but I'm just trying to get an idea if it's BF or if it's more localized.
    99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the time the Internet seems slow, it's because some "genius" is running their full 25GB video advertisment off a server that is connected with something that makes my original 2400 baud dialup modem look fast... It's always ones that I actually don't care to view. I installed Adblock Plus on Firefox a couple of years ago, and that took care of the misbehaving adverts, in fact it took care of most of the adverts. I now sometimes go a week between viewing adverts.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had an update on my Virus scan and at the same time Had installed a program for work. Blamed it on the Program but evry thing ran slow. Then another Virus scan update and back to speed.

But Occasionally I switch on the computer and Find BF slow. Go to another internet site and back to BF and it works fine.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    I installed Adblock Plus on Firefox a couple of years ago, and that took care of the misbehaving adverts, in fact it took care of most of the adverts. I now sometimes go a week between viewing adverts.
    Wanna see slow? Go to Oracle's (software) 100%-written-in-Flash support website... eeech.

Like you, I've been running Adblock for years. And OptimizeGoogle (removes all ads!). And NoScript where necessary. And also Tab Mix Plus, Download Statusbar, IE Tab and a handful of other useful extensions. I have to make sure my daughter isn't watching some movie on the other computer, but the slowness I've occasionally seen on BF is limited to BF. Once the topic loads, navigation is pretty quick, but bringing up topics often takes a while.

But still very usable, so no worries. Although there's far more to connectivity speeds, BF does respond to pings faster than (say) the Trek website from where I'm located:

c:\>ping www.bikeforums.net
    Pinging www.bikeforums.net [98.158.195.199] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 98.158.195.199: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=238
    Reply from 98.158.195.199: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=238
    Reply from 98.158.195.199: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=238
    Reply from 98.158.195.199: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=238

c:\>ping www.trek.com
    Pinging www.trek.com [67.220.221.96] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 67.220.221.96: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=50
    Reply from 67.220.221.96: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=50
    Reply from 67.220.221.96: bytes=32 time=119ms TTL=50
    Reply from 67.220.221.96: bytes=32 time=125ms TTL=50

But not as fast as Yahoo

c:\>ping www.yahoo.com
    Pinging any-fp.wa1.b.yahoo.com [209.191.122.70] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=51
    Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=51
    Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=51
    Reply from 209.191.122.70: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=51

Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen slower times when I hit the "Go Advanced" button but everything else seems to be fine.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of late, it does seem to be a bit slower.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been OK on mine.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Works OK for me - not always the fastest, but fully acceptable.
    It seems Bikeforums got significantly slower when they did a major "upgrade" back in around November of 2008, or maybe 2009, if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-14-11 at 08:44 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 2.0, Trek 7100 (and too many assorted vintage bikes). :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you mention it, it has been a bit slow the last few days.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the time the Internet seems slow, it's because some "genius" is running their full 25GB video advertisment off a server that is connected with something that makes my original 2400 baud dialup modem look fast... It's always ones that I actually don't care to view. I installed Adblock Plus on Firefox a couple of years ago, and that took care of the misbehaving adverts, in fact it took care of most of the adverts. I now sometimes go a week between viewing adverts.
    Ya know yer a 50+ when you remember words like "baud." And when 2400 baud was blazing fast compared to your old 300 baud.
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garilia View Post
    Ya know yer a 50+ when you remember words like "baud." And when 2400 baud was blazing fast compared to your old 300 baud.
    I worked for a Japanese Company in the Mid 1980's and they would dial Japan (yes a big old clunker rotary dial phone, and you had to dial about 145 digits, then when it started to ring, you would put the phone on a cradle and download a file, this was then run through a special VSE/370 job that punched the file onto cards, these cards went to sales who would hand sort the cards by dealer, we would add a JCL job around it and feed it back through. You were guaranteed one thing, whether the deck contained 5 cards or 5,000,000 cards the machine would always chew the third last one, meaning you needed to take a mangled card and re-punch it. I hope they aren't still using that system.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know yer a 50+ when you remember words like "baud." And when 2400 baud was
    blazing fast compared to your old 300 baud.
    My original modem was 300 Baud, and I would leave it on all night to download a very small program.

Now, THAT was slow

My Bikes
    650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes one of the slowest sites that I use.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My original modem was 300 Baud, and I would leave it on all night to download a very small program.

Now, THAT was slow
    I remember when we moved from cassette tapes to 5ľ" floppy disks and thought that was the greatest thing ever, a whole 170K of storage space, what would you do with it all. I was programming in Commie Basic in those days, and what we could do with 64K of memory(32K available to programs) and a 170K floppy drive, and a 2MHz processor now takes 2GB of memory, a 500GB hard drive and a pair of 2GHz processors and it takes 4times as long to boot, and seems to run about half the speed, but it looks a lot fancier....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slow, yes,

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never hurts to reboot all your equiptment. That includes your modem and wireless router you have one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when we moved from cassette tapes to 5ľ" floppy disks and thought that was the greatest thing ever, a whole 170K of storage space, what would you do with it all. I was programming in Commie Basic in those days, and what we could do with 64K of memory(32K available to programs) and a 170K floppy drive, and a 2MHz processor now takes 2GB of memory, a 500GB hard drive and a pair of 2GHz processors and it takes 4times as long to boot, and seems to run about half the speed, but it looks a lot fancier....
    WordStar, at less than 78K did almost everything that MS Word does, except graphics. The whole program was on one of those 78k floppies and ran on CP/M. Later, with MSDOS, as RAM got larger, a "virtual drive" could be set up in RAM, and WS loaded into the VD, for a much faster process.

I think programming has gotten sloppy and we have huge programs because we have large storage available to us, removing the need for precise programming. JMHO, and I am NOT a programmer.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordStar, at less than 78K did almost everything that MS Word does, except graphics. The whole program was on one of those 78k floppies and ran on CP/M. Later, with MSDOS, as RAM got larger, a "virtual drive" could be set up in RAM, and WS loaded into the VD, for a much faster process.

I think programming has gotten sloppy and we have huge programs because we have large storage available to us, removing the need for precise programming. JMHO, and I am NOT a programmer.
    Your right to some degree, there is more room, so creative techniques like overlays (a small machine code program is stuffed somewhere in memory, you poke the name of another program into memory and let the small machine code program take over, it loads a new program into main memory then starts that one). One of the biggest memory hogs though, the constantly expanding needs of Windows. Windows 95 was uncompressed and used less then half of a CDROM, Windows 7 is compressed and doesn't fit on a CD-ROM and it still comes with no real applications. I still wonder how Windows can be as big as it is, and contain no usable software. No, Internet Exploder and Outlook Express (the express outlook for this program is still hopeless) are not usable software, I delete both as quick as I can on machines I manage.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My one complaint about BF is how stinking slow it is. Frustrating. I belong to several different forums and this one has always been the worst.