Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old steel bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old steel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 11:36 AM

Bikes: '91 Davidson Impulse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My '92 Davidson Impulse. Rides great and keeps up with the new bikes. Doing a few mods, but nothing drastic. Love my DT shifters. ;^)
Old 07-14-11, 11:40 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm too mature and too good looking to worry about what others think of my bikes. The most important things about any bike are comfort and is it appropiate for what you wish to accomplish. The rest is just window dresing.
Old 07-14-11, 12:17 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
steel bikes with traditional horizontal top tubes are very much "in style" today.. if you have a nice steel bike you will probably have lots of kids drooling over it
Old 07-14-11, 12:17 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DayTrick

My '92 Davidson Impulse. Rides great and keeps up with the new bikes. Doing a few mods, but nothing drastic. Love my DT shifters. ;^)
Sweet, and looks like my size too..60cm

I can't wait till I land me a red frame vintage bike...Oh boy...
Old 07-14-11, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As much as I absolutely love restoring vintage steel bikes, I have to admit that the bike that gets taken out of the garage most often is a modern one. The big upside to owning a vintage bike is that, for relatively cheap, you can ride what would have been a top-of-the-line bike in the day. I grew up riding the crap out of a Schwinn Continental and could only ‘dream’ of riding some of the bikes I’ve owned since I’ve ‘sort of’ grown-up. I wouldn’t be embarrassed riding a Continental today, I just don’t have to. I can and have restored, ridden, and sold many vintage steel bikes over the past years. Here are 2 that I have sold in the past 6 months. They come and go and are fun to ride and to look at. But, the one I will not sell anytime soon is a modern light 10 speed.

Last edited by rothenfield1; 07-17-11 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-14-11, 12:50 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm still kicking myself for selling my '84 Gitane Tour de France when I lost my job a few years ago. Seemed like a third bike hanging around in the garage was a luxury I couldn't afford. Problem was, as with many (most?) older bikes its street value was considerably less than the personal value it held for me, so getting rid of it didn't help the economic situation anything close to what I'd hoped.

My point, and I do have one, is that older bikes are consistently the most interesting ones you see on rides, unless someone has A - a new bike that you happen to be interested in purchasing for yourself, or B - a high-zoot mega-expensive dream machine made for drooling over by the masses. And I should have realized it and kept the Gitane, warts and all, including a typically bad French paint job, mangled seat-tube decals (thank you , Atkins-Graber), down-tube friction shifters, one set of water bottle bosses, and a frame with enough flex in it to upshift on its own under load. Good times.

Now that I've learned that lesson, when the new Cannondale comes home in a couple of weeks, the 1990 Trek 1500 it's "replacing" will be hanging around for some time, I can tell you now.

Last edited by CraigB; 07-14-11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 12:53 PM
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride what you want to ride and be happy about it. If someone doesn't like what your riding that would be their problem not yours. I'll oggle anything old and taken care of or rebuilt over anything new anytime. I just got a new Bianchi only because I couldn't find anything old in my size to rebuild.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my wifes old Miata triple cross from the 80's. Brand new 105 drive train going in there. She bought it new, rode it to death and wore it out. It's been parked and ridden sparingly for the last several years. She's been test riding new bikes lately but just couldn't find one that felt good to her. I suggested we rebuild it and that's what we are doing.
Old 07-14-11, 12:53 PM

Bikes: '91 Davidson Impulse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Sweet, and looks like my size too..60cm

I can't wait till I land me a red frame vintage bike...Oh boy...
Sorry CE...it's a 56cm. :^)
Old 07-14-11, 01:10 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DayTrick
Sorry CE...it's a 56cm. :^)
Right, I need 60cm to 63cm..
Here is full picture of my 88 Schwinn Prelude, might be an 87.. anyway, $50 on CL. This bike takes up the beater role...

Old 07-14-11, 01:18 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
As much as I absolutely love restoring vintage steel bikes, I have to admit that the bike that gets taken out of the garage most often is a modern one. The big upside to owning a vintage bike is that, for relatively cheap, you can ride what would have been a top-of-the-line bike in the day. I grew up riding the crap out of a Schwinn Continental and could only ‘dream’ of riding some of the bikes I’ve owned since I’ve ‘sort of’ grown-up. I wouldn’t be “embarrassed” riding a Continental today, I just don’t have to. I can and have restored, ridden, and sold many vintage steel bikes over the past years. Here are 2 that I have sold in the past 6 months. They come and go and are fun to ride and to look at. But, the one I will not sell anytime soon is a modern light 10 speed.
Ah man, the Centurion is off the hook!!

Now, I know the Fuji Roubiax cost way more than the Centurion. But, in my opinon, that Fuji couldn't hold a candle to the Centurion Elite..

I guess that boils down to taste. IMO, the Centurion looks are way, way, and way over top the Fuji.. In my eyesight. Also, I know the ride of the Fuji is the tits.. But, old Coleman loves that old steel ride and feel.. I would go for the Centurion over that Fuji 10 out of 10!!

Man, just looking at your Centurion has me slobbering at the mouth, gawking with my eyes, even getting a little $@t!!

BTW, what size is the Centurion?
Old 07-14-11, 01:29 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
You got a valid point there. I ride my steel bikes 95% of the time. However, I am 100% riding by myself. The other day I was talking to a rider that also races, and does long rides. He was the one that fitted me to my Lightspeed. When he saw me, I was on my 79 Raleigh, and told him I am crazy about the old stuff. He told me wait until I go on one of the long group rides. He said, then you will pick the Lightspeed. He MAY be right. I like the older stuff. Even when it comes to cars. I like the older sportscars. With the motorcycles, I tend to stay current.

However, the more people into the latest and greatest, more vintage bikes for me..

I agree and I used to be into classic sports cars and motorcycles as well. As long as you are riding by yourself they have more draw but when in a group it is hard not to notice how much better some of the new stuff "works". I had a BSA A 10 that was a joy to ride even if having a soul as some have indicated meant it was hard to kick over when it was humid and every now and then would try to kick me off when it kicked back when I jumped on the crank.
I have read about the ride of a steel bike being so much better than any other and will admit I am skeptical because I have had old steel bikes with friction shifters and I no longer own one for many reasons.
I would add a steel Waterford to my N+1 list because as Stapfam indicated it is the components and the design of some of the newer equipment makes them worth looking at.
Also as Stepfam has said just because it is steel doesn’t make the bike more comfortable in itself. If I can add to the example I used earlier the ride our group had Wednesday may be a good example. One of our newer riders has been with us for a few weeks and rides an older steel Trek with down tube friction shifters. He mostly rode alone till joining us and said he loved his steel bike. We were going on a longer ride so I offered my back up Jamis aluminum road bike if he wanted to try one with bifters. We were close to the same height and inseam so I thought it might work. He tried it for a day and on the morning of the metric showed up on the bike. After the first hill you simply couldn’t wipe the smile off of his face. Lighter wheels, CF seat post, better bars, more gears, Compact crankset, and Bifters may be the cause of his N+1 even if he keeps his steel bike for riding around the neighborhood.
Old 07-14-11, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
steel bikes with traditional horizontal top tubes are very much "in style" today.. if you have a nice steel bike you will probably have lots of kids drooling over it
Doesn't have to be that nice. My kids friends keep drooling on my Bianchi. PIA having to wipe it down all the time.
Old 07-14-11, 05:24 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
People who actually ride; who have been in the sport and know good machines... will "oooh and aaaah". People new to riding, who think you ain't nothing unless you are riding the very latest, lightest, overpriced production taiwanese carbon bike and wearing a team kit (my apologies in advance if that's someone here but I don't think so) won't be impressed but then, do you care?

I have several very old steel bikes (plus one new custom Landshark) and have kept them clean and in working shape. Occasionally I take one of them out riding with friends on their beautiful old Italian wonder bikes. Some people get it... those are the only people I care about.
+1000.

Nothing wrong with a good steel frame. Local custom builder Peter Mooney will work with nothing else. Yes, "Steel is Real".

One of the things I like best about being over 50: You truly don't have to care what anyone things.
Old 07-14-11, 07:32 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
I agree and I used to be into classic sports cars and motorcycles as well. As long as you are riding by yourself they have more draw but when in a group it is hard not to notice how much better some of the new stuff "works". I had a BSA A 10 that was a joy to ride even if having a soul as some have indicated meant it was hard to kick over when it was humid and every now and then would try to kick me off when it kicked back when I jumped on the crank.
I have read about the ride of a steel bike being so much better than any other and will admit I am skeptical because I have had old steel bikes with friction shifters and I no longer own one for many reasons.
I would add a steel Waterford to my N+1 list because as Stapfam indicated it is the components and the design of some of the newer equipment makes them worth looking at.
Also as Stepfam has said just because it is steel doesn’t make the bike more comfortable in itself. If I can add to the example I used earlier the ride our group had Wednesday may be a good example. One of our newer riders has been with us for a few weeks and rides an older steel Trek with down tube friction shifters. He mostly rode alone till joining us and said he loved his steel bike. We were going on a longer ride so I offered my back up Jamis aluminum road bike if he wanted to try one with bifters. We were close to the same height and inseam so I thought it might work. He tried it for a day and on the morning of the metric showed up on the bike. After the first hill you simply couldn’t wipe the smile off of his face. Lighter wheels, CF seat post, better bars, more gears, Compact crankset, and Bifters may be the cause of his N+1 even if he keeps his steel bike for riding around the neighborhood.
Can't be said any better!! .. My Litespeed has the lowest and the tallest gear..I can almost take a hill straight up with it, plus, it is the only bike that I have clipless pedals on, and use cleats. Dam, you have made me take out the Litespeed tomorrow...
Old 07-14-11, 07:40 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
But on the days we know the group is going to do serious climbing CF and Ti bikes show up. It doesn't mean they love their steel less only that they love bikes more and there have been some improvements that are hard to dismiss. So maybe you will not like any of the newer offerings that are out there but you never will know untill you try one and see.
Serious climbing? What is that? I've seen videos of it. I live in South Florida, when I ride a serious hill, I'm riding over a highway overpass or an old landfill. We call them Mt. Trashmores. I think my n+1 will be a ti bike. My current bike does have a carbon fork though.
Old 07-14-11, 08:37 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My main bike is about the same age. It's a Specialized Hard Rock converted into a utility bike with some Freddie Fenders, a rack, lights, street slicks. I get plenty of compliments on its good looks. It gets ridden everywhere.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-14-11, 10:13 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Garilia
Yup. It doesn't have these oversized tubes that too many modern bikes have.
But the TIG welded frame, sloping top tube, etc....
Old 07-14-11, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
As much as I absolutely love restoring vintage steel bikes, I have to admit that the bike that gets taken out of the garage most often is a modern one. The big upside to owning a vintage bike is that, for relatively cheap, you can ride what would have been a top-of-the-line bike in the day. I grew up riding the crap out of a Schwinn Continental and could only ‘dream’ of riding some of the bikes I’ve owned since I’ve ‘sort of’ grown-up. I wouldn’t be “embarrassed” riding a Continental today, I just don’t have to. I can and have restored, ridden, and sold many vintage steel bikes over the past years. Here are 2 that I have sold in the past 6 months. They come and go and are fun to ride and to look at. But, the one I will not sell anytime soon is a modern light 10 speed.
Agreed. I ride the steel bike to build base km's early in the season or just for a recovery tide or trip to the store. Beyond that, I really enjoy the newer bikes and they get the lion's share of activity.
Old 07-14-11, 11:37 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garilia
Serious climbing? What is that? I've seen videos of it. I live in South Florida, when I ride a serious hill, I'm riding over a highway overpass or an old landfill. We call them Mt. Trashmores. I think my n+1 will be a ti bike. My current bike does have a carbon fork though.
To any that know me they know my mantra is, "I hate hills". But I live in a valley and to leave a valley you have to climb. Last month I started training for the Furnace Creek 508 and did just over 10,000 feet on climbing. But that wasn't the point I was making. There are those that can and do make the climb on old steel bikes with down tube shifters and a standard crank and chainring. I have done it on an old steel bike many years ago. Today however my motor is a bit more tired and I need all the help I can get to do the same kind of mileage and climbing I once did. A modern bike goes a long way in making me feel better about my performance doing a century or climbing a mountain pass. Like I said a Waterford with Shimano or SRAM bifters, Cranks Bearings and Bottom bracket wouldn't be a bad investment. But then it isn't like there is a big price difference between that and a CF bike with the same equipment.

Does your current bike have steel wheels?
Old 07-15-11, 08:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My steel Motta has Shimano indexed 10 speed down tube shifter(thats 2front, 10rear casette)
and Open Pro wheels(that replaced the Weinmans, I couldnt keep modern tires on them ),
Bud
Old 07-15-11, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

Here it is unchanged from 1990. The tires hold air but are 6 or 8 years old so I need to get new ones with tubes. I would like to get new calipers to replace the Modolos and other than that new shoes. The aero bar was really common in the day and really comfortable to ride but perhaps clownish in 2011
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Gardin2.jpg (99.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-15-11, 10:03 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Wheeler
Hi all,

Here it is unchanged from 1990. The tires hold air but are 6 or 8 years old so I need to get new ones with tubes. I would like to get new calipers to replace the Modolos and other than that new shoes. The aero bar was really common in the day and really comfortable to ride but perhaps clownish in 2011
It looks very serviceable. If you still find the aero bars comfortable, I'd keep 'em on.
Old 07-15-11, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh I forgot to say also the it weighs 24.2 pounds is that excessive. Without the bar and extra brake lever I could get down to 22 something. What does your classic weigh and what would a modern bike weigh? Oh and I was in the bike store yesterday and most of the new bikes do nothing for me. Is there a good reason why you would pay $3000 or a lot more on a composite bike?
Old 07-15-11, 12:09 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
YIn bicycle talk, the term "alloy" is almost exclusively used in reference to aluminum. ime
\

An alloy is a metal from a blend of elements. Steel is unquestionably an alloy of Fe, C, and almost always, Cr, Mo, and a few other things (e.g., Mn).
Is the Al in bike frames also an alloy? If so, what are the other element or element(s)
Old 07-15-11, 12:14 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
\

An alloy is a metal from a blend of elements. Steel is unquestionably an alloy of Fe, C, and almost always, Cr, Mo, and a few other things (e.g., Mn).
Is the Al in bike frames also an alloy? If so, what are the other element or element(s)
Oh never mind. Found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumini...Cycling_alloys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.