Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-11, 12:10 PM   #1
Kevin Wheeler

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old steel bike?

Hi folks,

I'm starting riding again and I have this 1990 alloy road bike that's a mix of Campagnolo, Durace, Wolber, 300 and 105 that's been in more races than I can count and blown the doors off of a lot of folks. Back in the day it was a pretty cool bike (I think it still is) and I rode it regularly until 5 years. Anyway seriously a'm I going to have to wear a paper bag on my head if I ride this old girl in public?
Kevin Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 12:14 PM   #2
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes:
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wheeler View Post
Anyway seriously a'm I going to have to wear a paper bag on my head if I ride this old girl in public?
I get more positive comments from other cyclists when I ride my 1985 ugly steel beater than any of my other bikes. Ride Wit Pride!
Bob Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 12:21 PM   #3
Kevin Wheeler

Bikes:
It hasn't changed since I raced it and it's still got the 1990's profile tri bars with the shifters out on the end along with a 3rd brake lever. Probably something folks have never seen.
Old 07-13-11, 12:21 PM   #4
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
I am curious as to why you would care about other's opinions (if you really do)?

FWIW, I get a lot of compliments on my 1998 Lemond. Anyway, I am (hopefully) at an age where I don't really GAD about other's opinions.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 12:25 PM   #5
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Steel is real. My two steel framed bikes are my favorite bikes to ride, even though they're the bikes into which I have the least amount of money sunk. In fact, I'm in the middle of going through my old Panasonic as I've decided I'm going to keep it versus getting a new road bike.

Ride it. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Regardless of which bike I'm riding, half the people who see me commuting to work probably figure I lost my drivers license in a DUI anyway.
Old 07-13-11, 12:51 PM   #6
bigbadwullf

Bikes:
I dragged my old Cannodale R400 out last fall. I got looks and questions but really no one cared and I certainly did not. Just get out and ride. That is the important thing. We all know where this is going anyway. Me especially
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 01:17 PM   #7
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
What model bike is it? Kind of interesting that you say it is an alloy bike. That term generally refers to an aluminum frame, not steel.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 01:47 PM   #8
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Used correctly, 'alloy' tells nothing about whether the metal is aluminum or steel or titanium. Often used to mean aluminum.
Curious to know what the OP means by 'alloy'.

If you wear a bag over your head, be sure to cut out eye, mouth and nose holes, so you can see and breathe.
Old 07-13-11, 01:54 PM   #9
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Quote:
Hi folks,

I'm starting riding again and I have this 1990 alloy road bike that's a mix of Campagnolo, Durace, Wolber, 300 and 105 that's been in more races than I can count and blown the doors off of a lot of folks. Back in the day it was a pretty cool bike (I think it still is) and I rode it regularly until 5 years. Anyway seriously a'm I going to have to wear a paper bag on my head if I ride this old girl in public?
I can often by found on my Raleigh, was built in 1975 in Waterloo, Qc and was built before Raleigh became just another pile of scrap brand.... Old bikes are like old cars, sometimes the young'ns like to see them.....
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 02:13 PM   #10
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Used correctly, 'alloy' tells nothing about whether the metal is aluminum or steel or titanium. Often used to mean aluminum.
Curious to know what the OP means by 'alloy'.

If you wear a bag over your head, be sure to cut out eye, mouth and nose holes, so you can see and breathe.
You are technically correct, but I was referring to common usage. In bicycle talk, the term "alloy" is almost exclusively used in reference to aluminum. ime
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 02:15 PM   #11
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Old bikes have plenty of style;

Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 02:41 PM   #12
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
People who actually ride; who have been in the sport and know good machines... will "oooh and aaaah". People new to riding, who think you ain't nothing unless you are riding the very latest, lightest, overpriced production taiwanese carbon bike and wearing a team kit (my apologies in advance if that's someone here but I don't think so) won't be impressed but then, do you care?

I have several very old steel bikes (plus one new custom Landshark) and have kept them clean and in working shape. Occasionally I take one of them out riding with friends on their beautiful old Italian wonder bikes. Some people get it... those are the only people I care about.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 03:03 PM   #13
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
I havent had many comments good or bad when riding my '85 Trek. I love it, it feels good when I ride it and it rides like the wind. That's all I care about.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 03:40 PM   #14
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
I regularly ride my old steel bike, it is fast, comfortable and gets a lot of attention. It is on it's third drive train, now with a compact chorus and ultra torque crank. She just got a new carbon seat post. Those old bones still run like a scalded dog.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 04:46 PM   #15
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
Old bikes have plenty of style;
Absolutely. In fact, I really love the looks of a classic steel bike, even if it's not old:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/gran-fondo/brava/
http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=*****_tonk
http://www.schwinnbikes.com/le-tour-classic-9782
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/casseroll/
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...satellite.html
http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer_complete/

(that's a pretty Schwinn you have there, BTW)
lphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 04:54 PM   #16
Kevin Wheeler

Bikes:
That clears up a lot. I saw the Granfondo go by the other day and I didn't see what I thought was a steel bike 95% composite and the rest I thought were aluminium. I had a look at the vintage section and saw some nice Gardin's too. Good I didn't want a new bike anyway.
Old 07-13-11, 05:25 PM   #17
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to riding. C&V is another good forum to visit. Your bike sounds great but we really won't believe it exists without pictures.
Old 07-13-11, 06:01 PM   #18
Terex

Bikes:
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
'90 isn't that old. Only thing that would concern me about an older bike would be internal corrosion if improperly maintained.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 06:02 PM   #19
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
That clears up a lot. I saw the Granfondo go by the other day and I didn't see what I thought was a steel bike 95% composite and the rest I thought were aluminium. I had a look at the vintage section and saw some nice Gardin's too. Good I didn't want a new bike anyway.
I refuse to buy one. Being brought up on a 70's Motobecane Mirage and 70's Stella.....steel is the only way to go. My 85 Trek 460 racer is the only bike I'll ride.

I had a non-riding friend look at my bike and say, "why dont you drop a couple grand on a new bike". I sharply told him it wouldnt ride any better than this one and very likely wouldnt make me any faster.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 06:03 PM   #20
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Bikes:
Quote:
Hi folks,

A paper bag?

Oh no. Oh hell no!!!!!

Ride with pride on a bike you know and like.

Screw the rest of the world it they don't like it. (I don't even think they will notice you)

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 06:34 PM   #21
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
Back in the 70's & 80's, I became a bit of a tech junkie ever seeking to go faster and faster. Each new thing, be it wheels, tires, frames, etc. seemed to help, but never as much as I planned. The thing is - it's really your muscles and lungs that get you there. What I was after, with my custom frame, silk sewups, and pro team jersey (wool - can you believe it!) was going a bit faster, but more importantly, looking like I was fast.

When I started riding again last year after a few decades off, the newest bike I had was over 25 years old. Not having kept up with bike tech, I was floored to find out what folks were spending their money on to look like they were fast. So I dusted off my old steel and hit the road and guess what - snickers don't last long when they see some old goat on old technology go much faster than they expect. Yep - it's still in the muscles and lungs.

Throw your old Skid Lid out though. Everybody will laugh at that.

-Gary
gmt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 07:00 PM   #22
bgross

Bikes:
Of the four bike I own, three are steel. And the newest one is a replacement for one that I was riding when I got rear-ended.
Yup, "Steel is Real".
bgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 07:19 PM   #23
oldster

Bikes:
I would not trade my Gianni Motta steel,that I built in 1983, for any of these "Plastic" things that are around these days..
oldster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 07:35 PM   #24
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, '86 Gazelle champion mondial, '81? Grandis, and lots of uncertainty on some
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Wear a paper bag over your head? For riding steel?

My '72 commuter:

My '73 speed bike:

Anybody disses you you just ride away from 'em. With style.
jimmuller
jimmuller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 08:26 PM   #25
El Segundo

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

I ride old steel bikes (my newest bike is an '88 Trek) and enjoy them very much.Would not mind having one of the new high tech bikes, but would have troublejustifying another bike to the wife.

At the end of the day I remember the definition of a bicycle:

noun /ˈbīsikəl/ 
A vehicle composed of two wheels held in a frame one behind the other,propelled by pedals and steered with handlebars attached to the front wheel.

Just ride what you got and don't worry about critics.
El Segundo is offline   Reply With Quote