Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old steel bike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old steel bike?

Hi folks,

I'm starting riding again and I have this 1990 alloy road bike that's a mix of Campagnolo, Durace, Wolber, 300 and 105 that's been in more races than I can count and blown the doors off of a lot of folks. Back in the day it was a pretty cool bike (I think it still is) and I rode it regularly until 5 years. Anyway seriously a'm I going to have to wear a paper bag on my head if I ride this old girl in public?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wheeler View Post
    Anyway seriously a'm I going to have to wear a paper bag on my head if I ride this old girl in public?
    I get more positive comments from other cyclists when I ride my 1985 ugly steel beater than any of my other bikes. Ride Wit Pride!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hasn't changed since I raced it and it's still got the 1990's profile tri bars with the shifters out on the end along with a 3rd brake lever. Probably something folks have never seen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious as to why you would care about other's opinions (if you really do)?

FWIW, I get a lot of compliments on my 1998 Lemond. Anyway, I am (hopefully) at an age where I don't really GAD about other's opinions.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

The Fat Guy In The Back Tundra_Man's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '02 Giant Boulder, '08 Felt S32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steel is real. My two steel framed bikes are my favorite bikes to ride, even though they're the bikes into which I have the least amount of money sunk. In fact, I'm in the middle of going through my old Panasonic as I've decided I'm going to keep it versus getting a new road bike.

Ride it. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Regardless of which bike I'm riding, half the people who see me commuting to work probably figure I lost my drivers license in a DUI anyway.
    '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork

Visit me at the Tundra Man Workshop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dragged my old Cannodale R400 out last fall. I got looks and questions but really no one cared and I certainly did not. Just get out and ride. That is the important thing. We all know where this is going anyway. Me especially

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What model bike is it? Kind of interesting that you say it is an alloy bike. That term generally refers to an aluminum frame, not steel.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used correctly, 'alloy' tells nothing about whether the metal is aluminum or steel or titanium. Often used to mean aluminum.
    Curious to know what the OP means by 'alloy'.

If you wear a bag over your head, be sure to cut out eye, mouth and nose holes, so you can see and breathe.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks,

I'm starting riding again and I have this 1990 alloy road bike that's a mix of Campagnolo, Durace, Wolber, 300 and 105 that's been in more races than I can count and blown the doors off of a lot of folks. Back in the day it was a pretty cool bike (I think it still is) and I rode it regularly until 5 years. Anyway seriously a'm I going to have to wear a paper bag on my head if I ride this old girl in public?
    I can often by found on my Raleigh, was built in 1975 in Waterloo, Qc and was built before Raleigh became just another pile of scrap brand.... Old bikes are like old cars, sometimes the young'ns like to see them.....

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Used correctly, 'alloy' tells nothing about whether the metal is aluminum or steel or titanium. Often used to mean aluminum.
    Curious to know what the OP means by 'alloy'.

If you wear a bag over your head, be sure to cut out eye, mouth and nose holes, so you can see and breathe.
    You are technically correct, but I was referring to common usage. In bicycle talk, the term "alloy" is almost exclusively used in reference to aluminum. ime
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old bikes have plenty of style;

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who actually ride; who have been in the sport and know good machines... will "oooh and aaaah". People new to riding, who think you ain't nothing unless you are riding the very latest, lightest, overpriced production taiwanese carbon bike and wearing a team kit (my apologies in advance if that's someone here but I don't think so) won't be impressed but then, do you care?

I have several very old steel bikes (plus one new custom Landshark) and have kept them clean and in working shape. Occasionally I take one of them out riding with friends on their beautiful old Italian wonder bikes. Some people get it... those are the only people I care about.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent had many comments good or bad when riding my '85 Trek. I love it, it feels good when I ride it and it rides like the wind. That's all I care about.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly ride my old steel bike, it is fast, comfortable and gets a lot of attention. It is on it's third drive train, now with a compact chorus and ultra torque crank. She just got a new carbon seat post. Those old bones still run like a scalded dog.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Old bikes have plenty of style;
    Absolutely. In fact, I really love the looks of a classic steel bike, even if it's not old:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/gran-fondo/brava/
    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=*****_tonk
    http://www.schwinnbikes.com/le-tour-classic-9782
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/casseroll/
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...satellite.html
    http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer_complete/

(that's a pretty Schwinn you have there, BTW)
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That clears up a lot. I saw the Granfondo go by the other day and I didn't see what I thought was a steel bike 95% composite and the rest I thought were aluminium. I had a look at the vintage section and saw some nice Gardin's too. Good I didn't want a new bike anyway.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and welcome back to riding. C&V is another good forum to visit. Your bike sounds great but we really won't believe it exists without pictures.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '90 isn't that old. Only thing that would concern me about an older bike would be internal corrosion if improperly maintained.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That clears up a lot. I saw the Granfondo go by the other day and I didn't see what I thought was a steel bike 95% composite and the rest I thought were aluminium. I had a look at the vintage section and saw some nice Gardin's too. Good I didn't want a new bike anyway.
    I refuse to buy one. Being brought up on a 70's Motobecane Mirage and 70's Stella.....steel is the only way to go. My 85 Trek 460 racer is the only bike I'll ride.

I had a non-riding friend look at my bike and say, "why dont you drop a couple grand on a new bike". I sharply told him it wouldnt ride any better than this one and very likely wouldnt make me any faster.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks,

A paper bag?

Oh no. Oh hell no!!!!!

Ride with pride on a bike you know and like.

Screw the rest of the world it they don't like it. (I don't even think they will notice you)
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the 70's & 80's, I became a bit of a tech junkie ever seeking to go faster and faster. Each new thing, be it wheels, tires, frames, etc. seemed to help, but never as much as I planned. The thing is - it's really your muscles and lungs that get you there. What I was after, with my custom frame, silk sewups, and pro team jersey (wool - can you believe it!) was going a bit faster, but more importantly, looking like I was fast.

When I started riding again last year after a few decades off, the newest bike I had was over 25 years old. Not having kept up with bike tech, I was floored to find out what folks were spending their money on to look like they were fast. So I dusted off my old steel and hit the road and guess what - snickers don't last long when they see some old goat on old technology go much faster than they expect. Yep - it's still in the muscles and lungs.

Throw your old Skid Lid out though. Everybody will laugh at that.

-Gary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the four bike I own, three are steel. And the newest one is a replacement for one that I was riding when I got rear-ended.
    Yup, "Steel is Real".
    B. Gross
    SoCal

'96 Cannondale MT1000 "Los Dos" Tandem
    '84 Santana Arriva Tandem
    '87 Specialized Rockhopper
    '10 Lennard Zinn Stelvio Road Bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not trade my Gianni Motta steel,that I built in 1983, for any of these "Plastic" things that are around these days..

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wear a paper bag over your head? For riding steel?

My '72 commuter:

My '73 speed bike:

Anybody disses you you just ride away from 'em. With style.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride old steel bikes (my newest bike is an '88 Trek) and enjoy them very much.Would not mind having one of the new high tech bikes, but would have troublejustifying another bike to the wife.

At the end of the day I remember the definition of a bicycle:

noun /ˈbīsikəl/ 
    A vehicle composed of two wheels held in a frame one behind the other,propelled by pedals and steered with handlebars attached to the front wheel.

Just ride what you got and don't worry about critics.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast