Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for feedback

I am making plans to travel by bicycle. Most people have a set schedule or route. I am considering something different. I want to follow temperate weather patterns. Right now I am planning to head north when the temperature hits 80F and head south when the temperature hits 40F. I would head east or west when the temperatures are in between. I also plan on renting a car if the temperature goes below 30 or above 90 as an emergency measure. This seems good in theory but I'm sure there are lots of people out there that can poke holes in this theory. That's what I want. Tell me what I'm not seeing.

This trip may last a month, a year or a lifetime. Don't know yet. Will mostly be in the USA for the time being.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need more of a plan.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naaaa- just get the bike and ride. If Camping and carrying lots- the think of a BOB trailer. If Motels- then panniers will suffice.

Just walk out the door and ride- Return when ready.

And think of a STEEL bike. Garages can repair steel frames easily--C.F. will write off the bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will you carry the bike in the car? Rentals folks don't like bike carriers on their cars. Perhaps there are some rental agencies that provide them?

Temps in Colorado vary widely, as they do in many mountain/high altitude locations. High passes can be 30F in summer, while the valleys can be 80 and 90F, and you can go from one to the other in 1 day, or the temp can vary that much from day-to-day.

But all that is manageable, and, mostly, have fun.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your input.

My Bikes
    Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input.

My Bikes
    Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much just take the wheels off and put it in the backseat. panniers and other stuff in the trunk.
    Thanks for your input.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larryoboyd View Post
    Pretty much just take the wheels off and put it in the backseat. panniers and other stuff in the trunk.
    OK - I do that in my Neon, but somehow manage to get some chain grease spread around in the process.!! I guess that could be avoided.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the means to do this, go for it. As with many things people tend to over think the situation. Take the minimum stuff you will need, and just take it day by day. There will be a lot less stress that way, and I would think that is what you are aiming for.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you can ride fast if you come to Southern Maine on the coast. Our temperatures can vary between 50 and 90 at the blink of an eye if the wind decides to shift suddenly. We either get a warm Southwest wind or a chilly damp wind from the East which has traveled over the cold Labrador current.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking that depending on the locations the weather patterns could change much faster than you might anticipate. I'm also thinking.... hey, and adventure!
    Last edited by NOS88; 07-14-11 at 08:47 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your destination? Or is this a no destination ride?

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larryoboyd seems like one of those hippie type guys from back in the day. Go-get-em guy!!!, ...and keep us posted on your journey.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have THE PERFECT plan. Do what Leonardo de Caprio said about 'himself' in Titanic. "Tomorrow I will be on God's good humor". Let the adventure take you where it will. I think that is AWESOME!! No real plans. Figure out life as you go.
    Do you fly fish? That would be a great way to spend time and get food. A pack fly rod and flies weigh nothing and take up little/no room. You can even tie flies at down times and materials for that you can easily find along your ride. I can see myself lining up streams, lakes and ponds to visit. But that might not be your thing and I understand that.
    But I think your plan is great. Some people have to have every second of the day planned out. I like no plans and do what is directly in front of you. See life for what it IS and not what others tell you it is.

And this is said from a very conservative person. If you want to live off the back of a bicycle I think that is friggen awesome. If you want to ride from 5-star hotel to 5-star hotel that is great. I'm not going to tell you how you have to live your life and I wish other's would do the same. You got room for a tag-along

I don't care if you are a hippy type or a guy that made millions off oil. Heck you might be both. If this is what you want to do, I think it is wonderful and I applaud your adventure spirit.

If you come thru West Tennessee, look me up. I'd be glad to change out a tire for ya
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 07-14-11 at 08:58 AM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check into the site crazyguyonabike.com-lots of good reading and info on bike touring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The journey is the adventure. Start out in whatever manner you feel comfortable and learn as you go.
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Do you fly fish? That would be a great way to spend time and get food. A pack fly rod and flies weigh nothing and take up little/no room. You can even tie flies at down times and materials for that you can easily find along your ride. I can see myself lining up streams, lakes and ponds to visit.
    The only problem with that advice is that he'd have to buy a fishing license for each state he planned to fish in. He'd be a non-resident in all but one of them.

I think it sounds like a great adventure, as long as he can afford it. Off on a walk-a-bout! er, BIKE-a-bout. Good luck!

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to sit down with yourself and consider your expectations. What are you looking for aside from decent riding weather? Are you hitting the road to escape problems that will follow you? What are your hopes for a month/year/decade from now?

I'm not suggesting you answer that kind of question here but rather you owe it to yourself to give them a best shot before you leave.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see the weather chasing thing not working out so well in the West, since we have lots of altitude-driven temperature variations. Other than that, your plan sounds like great fun. Go for it.

When I was fresh out of college, a small group of us were touring along the CA coast. We met an old man at a camp ground. He was a retired school teacher who had decided to take a bike trip soon after he retired and he was still on that trip over a decade later with only short stays at "home" to recharge. He regaled us with stories for hours; I hope you do the same for other youngsters someday.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plan has no provision for returning to your starting point. Regional temps could conceivably prevent it, driving you farther and farther from your home base. That is, if you want to return in the first place.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We met an old man
    Errrr AArrgghh

On the 50+ Forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he's legally posting on this forum then when he was "fresh out of college" nobody here trusted anybody over thirty as the saying said. From his prespective at that time anybody who was retired was old, ergo, the gentleman was old, not that being retired makes one old.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at that time anybody who was retired was old, ergo, the gentleman was old, not that being retired makes one old.

Cake and eat it too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Young whippersnappers think that you have to be OLD to be retired, I may be retired but I am not old yet. I believe that you are in the same boat if I am not mistaken.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    Young whippersnappers think that you have to be OLD to be retired, I may be retired but I am not old yet. I believe that you are in the same boat if I am not mistaken.
    Maybe we should say on the same Tandem - being a bicycle forum ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast