Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Fortunatissimo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My recovery: It's in the stats

Some of you know from other threads that I had my right leg badly broken by a reckless driver who ran a stop sign and crashed into me and my bike on March 29. It has been a long, painful period of recovery.

However, yesterday's ride was a milestone. It was the longest I have taken (42 mi.) since the injury. It was the bulk of a hilly 50 miler I like to do. When I ride over 40 miles, I consider it a long ride. So this was my first long ride in 8 months. It's a beautiful ride through redwood forests in Aptos, CA and then out to Sunset Beach.

When I got home, I felt really good , of course, but my ride log told me something really great. I checked my stats for this ride from before the injury. My exertion, as measured by my average and maximum heart rate was the same for this ride as before the accident. My mph average was just a little bit lower than before. This made me feel that I am getting close to full recovery. The stats are very consoling. If you've ever been through this kind of thing, sometimes you feel that you will never really get back to where you were. The stat log tells me that I'm almost there and I still don't have full use of my leg. No riding out of the saddle: the pain on the still unhealed fibula is too much. So I have to do the steep stuff in my triple--which is easy but slow.

So after yesterday's ride, I think that I am actually going to come out of this even better than before. (Of course, that might be due to my new ride which is lighter and custom built for me). BTW, I am 59 years old.
    How is it that we have let the people who do not believe in the public good be in charge of the public good?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo, Figaro!

By the way, Aptos is a beautiful area.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good going ! I have the same problem with trying to stand up hills since I broke my hip but it too is slowly coming right, we'll get there in the end
    :D
    dont worry be happy ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figaro,

Great news, keep up the work, as you say it sounds like your well on way to getting back in shape.
    "Angel, Bop Bop loves you!!!"