Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cut 4 minutes off my 'special section'

I have a ride that has a section that is about 6 miles long, maybe 7. It is mostly uphill. Decent grade. When I started to train for a ride I decided to time this one section. A month ago it took me 28min 50sec to do. Yesterday I did it in 24'50".
    Just a fun thing to do. I usually do it when I'm alone on a ride and it gives me something to do, rather than be bored to tears.
    That's all. Rock on.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal TT's are a hoot. They really help guage progress if you are in specific training or just wanting to ramp up your ability.

I have a 20mi "triangle" that returns me to the starting point at home. It has 2 good sized hills to "mess up" the mph avg but really sharpens your glutes for open road riding.

Yesterday afternoon I bested my PR by 5min and finished the 20.1mi ride in 1:17.

Feels great, doesnt it?
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ride that I like doing and many years ago took my time on that ride. only a short one of 11.6 miles and my time was 51 minutes. That time has now got down to 40 minutes give or take a couple. Reason for the difference can be put down to several things though- mainly to do with wind strength or temp but it does always give me an idea of how I am progressing or slacking off.

Don't have a PB for it though but maybe it is time I did the ride again. I have no idea if that last mod I did to the bike will affect my speed.. If slower- I'll take the extra water bottle off again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a 30 mile loop here that has been a standard ride for more than 20 years that I know about. Getting to the finish in under 2 hours is kind of a rite of passage for developing riders. My best time to date is 1:49 and I usually ride it in the mid 1:50's. The regular hotshots routinely ride it in the low 1:40's and occasionally get under 1:30 when they really work at it.

There is a tough hill that tops out at about 10.5 miles into the loop that I like to shoot for getting under 40 minutes. My best time was just over 38 minutes.

I go through spells of doing it every week and noting my time and then I'll get tired of it and do other rides for a while. But it is always there for me to gauge my fitness when I want.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I used to live there was a quiet little road about five miles out of town that had a ten-mile (round-trip) out-and-back informal time trial event onTuesday evenings. Since this road is along the way to many of the most popular local rides, just about everyone timed themselves on both the way out and the way back in from longer rides. It was always fun when the pace picked up as we approached the "course". It was just unthinkable to ride that stretch and not go all out. Last year I was on that road with a fully loaded touring bike on my way to visit old friends and I found myself pulling out all the stops when I reached the turn-around mark. Old habits die hard, I guess.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Personal TT's are a hoot. They really help guage progress if you are in specific training or just wanting to ramp up your ability.

I have a 20mi "triangle" that returns me to the starting point at home. It has 2 good sized hills to "mess up" the mph avg but really sharpens your glutes for open road riding.

Yesterday afternoon I bested my PR by 5min and finished the 20.1mi ride in 1:17.

Feels great, doesnt it?
    I'm with you. I have a 15 mi. TT that has a variety of terrain. I started this route about 4 yrs. ago at 14 mph and built to the point that I did 17.6 mph the year before last. Last year I rode about 1/2 the miles I did before and still managed 16.5 mph. It really is good to be able to measure fitness this way and I really love the feeling of letting all hang out. There's nothing like "leaving it all on the field."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I'm with you. I have a 15 mi. TT that has a variety of terrain. I started this route about 4 yrs. ago at 14 mph and built to the point that I did 17.6 mph the year before last. Last year I rode about 1/2 the miles I did before and still managed 16.5 mph. It really is good to be able to measure fitness this way and I really love the feeling of letting all hang out. There's nothing like "leaving it all on the field."
    "Ride like there is no return trip". Really nothing like it.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal TT's ? +1 to that !

It's a good way to measure progress for sure. I do it on certain routes myself.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I've tried to do is identify my cycling weaknesses (of which there are many) and do rides dedicated to "training" to better each one. For example, one day I will trade wheel speed for pedal speed so I can work on spinning. I ignore my speed on the flats and concentrate on doing at least 85-90 rpm's before I shift. Another day I will just cruise until I hit a hill, then I go all out. And, then there is the "balls to the wall" TT done strictly to measure improvement. The variety is fun and takes the sameness out of familiar routes.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I love about cycling. There's always something to work on.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! I've got a highway feeder road loop thats about 11 miles long. I've been trying to get it done in under 40 minutes . I really dig this cycling thang!!!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, then there is the "balls to the wall" TT done strictly to measure improvement.
    Which in itself can do wonders for the improvement of strength and mental fortitude. TT's are subject to winds and heat.....good training stuff.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with the oppressive heat we are having I managed to get my 15 mi. TT in last Tuesday. Went out at 6 am to avoid the heat. Managed to get 16 mph for the TT which is my fastest this year. I'm starting to think I can get up in the 17-18 mph range by Sept.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with the oppressive heat we are having I managed to get my 15 mi. TT in last Tuesday. Went out at 6 am to avoid the heat. Managed to get 16 mph for the TT which is my fastest this year. I'm starting to think I can get up in the 17-18 mph range by Sept.
    What are your speeds while on the flats? Good run in spite of the heat, by the way.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    What are your speeds while on the flats? Good run in spite of the heat, by the way.
    There aren't a lot of true flats around here but I can safely say I'm in the mid-20's. BTW, the best part of that ride was that I felt great. Everything just sort of came together. At age 65 you don't get that feeling every day.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There aren't a lot of true flats around here but I can safely say I'm in the mid-20's. BTW, the best part of that ride was that I felt great. Everything just sort of came together. At age 65 you don't get that feeling every day.
    That's being in the zone

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also heard it called "riding without the chain."

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come join us for one of our remaining events. It's a great way to see what progress you're making over somewhat controlled conditions.

www.carolinatt.org
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal TT is my ride home from work. Though I have to ride through town for a section of it, I get a total of about 9+ miles for the ride, with three good climbs in it. Even the days I catch myself telling myself to take it easy, by the time I cross the river out of town I am working it hard. Though our strong afternoon winds can really skew the numbers, I've gone from almost an hour for the ride home to now just over 35 minutes if I really push hard. I don't have time for long rides during the week, so putting as much energy into my commute as I can gives me a target, and I can max my calorie burn. Plus, to get home quick, I have to kick the hills quick, so I am seeing myself moving to higher gears now on hills I had to stop or walk on just six weeks ago.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I need an eye exam. I read the title of this thread as "I cut 4 inches off my 'special section."
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest