Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-15-11, 08:22 AM   #1
bigbadwullf

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cut 4 minutes off my 'special section'

I have a ride that has a section that is about 6 miles long, maybe 7. It is mostly uphill. Decent grade. When I started to train for a ride I decided to time this one section. A month ago it took me 28min 50sec to do. Yesterday I did it in 24'50".
Just a fun thing to do. I usually do it when I'm alone on a ride and it gives me something to do, rather than be bored to tears.
That's all. Rock on.
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 10:01 AM   #2
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Personal TT's are a hoot. They really help guage progress if you are in specific training or just wanting to ramp up your ability.

I have a 20mi "triangle" that returns me to the starting point at home. It has 2 good sized hills to "mess up" the mph avg but really sharpens your glutes for open road riding.

Yesterday afternoon I bested my PR by 5min and finished the 20.1mi ride in 1:17.

Feels great, doesnt it?
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 03:02 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a ride that I like doing and many years ago took my time on that ride. only a short one of 11.6 miles and my time was 51 minutes. That time has now got down to 40 minutes give or take a couple. Reason for the difference can be put down to several things though- mainly to do with wind strength or temp but it does always give me an idea of how I am progressing or slacking off.

Don't have a PB for it though but maybe it is time I did the ride again. I have no idea if that last mod I did to the bike will affect my speed.. If slower- I'll take the extra water bottle off again.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 06:31 PM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
There is a 30 mile loop here that has been a standard ride for more than 20 years that I know about. Getting to the finish in under 2 hours is kind of a rite of passage for developing riders. My best time to date is 1:49 and I usually ride it in the mid 1:50's. The regular hotshots routinely ride it in the low 1:40's and occasionally get under 1:30 when they really work at it.

There is a tough hill that tops out at about 10.5 miles into the loop that I like to shoot for getting under 40 minutes. My best time was just over 38 minutes.

I go through spells of doing it every week and noting my time and then I'll get tired of it and do other rides for a while. But it is always there for me to gauge my fitness when I want.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 10:56 PM   #5
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Where I used to live there was a quiet little road about five miles out of town that had a ten-mile (round-trip) out-and-back informal time trial event onTuesday evenings. Since this road is along the way to many of the most popular local rides, just about everyone timed themselves on both the way out and the way back in from longer rides. It was always fun when the pace picked up as we approached the "course". It was just unthinkable to ride that stretch and not go all out. Last year I was on that road with a fully loaded touring bike on my way to visit old friends and I found myself pulling out all the stops when I reached the turn-around mark. Old habits die hard, I guess.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 05:22 AM   #6
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Personal TT's are a hoot. They really help guage progress if you are in specific training or just wanting to ramp up your ability.

I have a 20mi "triangle" that returns me to the starting point at home. It has 2 good sized hills to "mess up" the mph avg but really sharpens your glutes for open road riding.

Yesterday afternoon I bested my PR by 5min and finished the 20.1mi ride in 1:17.

Feels great, doesnt it?
I'm with you. I have a 15 mi. TT that has a variety of terrain. I started this route about 4 yrs. ago at 14 mph and built to the point that I did 17.6 mph the year before last. Last year I rode about 1/2 the miles I did before and still managed 16.5 mph. It really is good to be able to measure fitness this way and I really love the feeling of letting all hang out. There's nothing like "leaving it all on the field."
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 05:46 AM   #7
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
I'm with you. I have a 15 mi. TT that has a variety of terrain. I started this route about 4 yrs. ago at 14 mph and built to the point that I did 17.6 mph the year before last. Last year I rode about 1/2 the miles I did before and still managed 16.5 mph. It really is good to be able to measure fitness this way and I really love the feeling of letting all hang out. There's nothing like "leaving it all on the field."
"Ride like there is no return trip". Really nothing like it.
Old 07-18-11, 12:13 AM   #8
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
Personal TT's ? +1 to that !

It's a good way to measure progress for sure. I do it on certain routes myself.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 11:58 PM   #9
bruce19

What I've tried to do is identify my cycling weaknesses (of which there are many) and do rides dedicated to "training" to better each one. For example, one day I will trade wheel speed for pedal speed so I can work on spinning. I ignore my speed on the flats and concentrate on doing at least 85-90 rpm's before I shift. Another day I will just cruise until I hit a hill, then I go all out. And, then there is the "balls to the wall" TT done strictly to measure improvement. The variety is fun and takes the sameness out of familiar routes.
Old 07-19-11, 01:49 PM   #10
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
That's what I love about cycling. There's always something to work on.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 03:19 PM   #11
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Congratulations! I've got a highway feeder road loop thats about 11 miles long. I've been trying to get it done in under 40 minutes . I really dig this cycling thang!!!
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 04:44 AM   #12
OldsCOOL

Quote:
And, then there is the "balls to the wall" TT done strictly to measure improvement.
Which in itself can do wonders for the improvement of strength and mental fortitude. TT's are subject to winds and heat.....good training stuff.
Old 07-24-11, 05:44 AM   #13
bruce19

Even with the oppressive heat we are having I managed to get my 15 mi. TT in last Tuesday. Went out at 6 am to avoid the heat. Managed to get 16 mph for the TT which is my fastest this year. I'm starting to think I can get up in the 17-18 mph range by Sept.
Old 07-24-11, 06:21 AM   #14
OldsCOOL

Quote:
Even with the oppressive heat we are having I managed to get my 15 mi. TT in last Tuesday. Went out at 6 am to avoid the heat. Managed to get 16 mph for the TT which is my fastest this year. I'm starting to think I can get up in the 17-18 mph range by Sept.
What are your speeds while on the flats? Good run in spite of the heat, by the way.
Old 07-24-11, 07:47 AM   #15
bruce19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
What are your speeds while on the flats? Good run in spite of the heat, by the way.
There aren't a lot of true flats around here but I can safely say I'm in the mid-20's. BTW, the best part of that ride was that I felt great. Everything just sort of came together. At age 65 you don't get that feeling every day.
Old 07-24-11, 11:01 AM   #16
OldsCOOL

Quote:
There aren't a lot of true flats around here but I can safely say I'm in the mid-20's. BTW, the best part of that ride was that I felt great. Everything just sort of came together. At age 65 you don't get that feeling every day.
That's being in the zone
Old 07-24-11, 01:20 PM   #17
bruce19

I've also heard it called "riding without the chain."
Old 07-24-11, 01:36 PM   #18
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Come join us for one of our remaining events. It's a great way to see what progress you're making over somewhat controlled conditions.

www.carolinatt.org
Old 07-24-11, 10:13 PM   #19
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02
My personal TT is my ride home from work. Though I have to ride through town for a section of it, I get a total of about 9+ miles for the ride, with three good climbs in it. Even the days I catch myself telling myself to take it easy, by the time I cross the river out of town I am working it hard. Though our strong afternoon winds can really skew the numbers, I've gone from almost an hour for the ride home to now just over 35 minutes if I really push hard. I don't have time for long rides during the week, so putting as much energy into my commute as I can gives me a target, and I can max my calorie burn. Plus, to get home quick, I have to kick the hills quick, so I am seeing myself moving to higher gears now on hills I had to stop or walk on just six weeks ago.
david58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 12:41 PM   #20
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29
Wow, I need an eye exam. I read the title of this thread as "I cut 4 inches off my 'special section."
Garilia is offline   Reply With Quote