Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the saddle again... well, sorta

Still trying to resolve this recalcitrant form of tennis elbow and haven't ridden my bike since last December, so I started thinking about buying an indoor trainer. Wrote to a friend who got one last year to ask how she likes it, pros and cons, etc... and she offered to let me borrow it for a few weeks while she is out of town. (Thank you Pam!) So a few days later her husband delivered it to our home and we put my Roubaix on it that weekend. Oh it felt so good to be on the bike again! My legs are unbelievably weak; just last November I rode 75 brisk miles, and now......... I was surprised to learn that shifting with the fingers of the affected arm is much more painful than braking, so I learned to engage the whole arm to shift. I know I don't need to brake on the trainer -- I was only testing my strength and pain while doing that.

Meanwhile... I'm undergoing Prolotherapy treatments, still trying to exhaust conservative treatments to avoid surgery if I can. Last treatment involved PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma). Unlike surgery, I can return to work and my other regular activities much sooner than surgery. Hoping and praying this will fix it.... then, we can return to the shoulder issue, where all this began last September.

Hubby is riding more and is considering riding in the Tour de Foothills in November. Yesterday, he learned that the dark spot cut off his leg last week was Malignant Melanoma - In Situ (stage 0, 100% curable). I'm glad I saw it on the back of his leg, a spot we don't see. He is not particularly high risk with his dark hair, dark eyes, and ability to get very tanned, but had some bad burns as a kid. I'm a little freaked out since I'm fair, freckled, and always loved the sun.

Enjoying watching the Tour de France and living vicariously through them.

Planning to convert to half-time status in October, working just Tues-Wed-Thurs. Hoping that shorter hours and fewer days will mean better sleep and lower stress and help my arm heal. This has been a weird year for me, health-wise: my shoulder, then my elbow, then a bad cold followed by Shingles, then another bad cold, then a stubborn case of Angular Cheilitis for which I finally found my cure and is almost gone (emotionally, AC was worse than Shingles!!!).

Today, helping Hubby spread mulch over the garden areas, then crushed stone over a path. Hoping my arm will heal well enough by fall to install a lot of new plants in the side yard and finish that part of our landscaping.

Life goes on, enjoying what I can and not brooding over the things I can't do. However, in the interest of full disclosure, the biggest challenge is beating back depression. I will not let it in the door... it's a slippery slope and will take me down. Exercise helps a lot, and getting back on the bike, even on the trainer, reminds me how important it is for our physical and emotional health.
    Last edited by Yen; 07-15-11 at 11:47 AM.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, thanks for the update. I truly hope you continue to build strength and get back to where you want to be. You're absolutely right to focus on beating back depression. There are many ways to build, restore, or maintain quality of life. Never, give up the effort to do so!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tennis elbow and another form that over here is called Golf Arm. Same pain and in the same way of causing it but there are two different types of strapping -one for each one. Wife had tennis elbow diagnosed and it was not comfortable. Got the strapping from the chemist and it did absolutely nothing. Next visit and she mentioned it to the chemist who gave her the one for Golf Elbow. Within a week she was able to use her arm fully and a week later absolutely no pain. A Month before she gave up on the strapping though.

Glad to see you are getting back but beware of sorting that garden. It is your job to choose the plants- design the garden and tell Hubby how to do it. Leave the Macho stuff till the arm gets better.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope the shorter work week will allow your arm/elbow to heal. Enjoy the trainer and the TdF.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein