User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Allez 56cm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got it,, and already a 9.11 mile first ride!

Got home with the 2010 Specialized Allez, took a few pictures and had to go for a ride, No bike shoes, my LBS doesn't have my size in stock, so 9.11 miles, regular tennis shoes, docker shorts, and a bright orange HD "T" shirt! LOL,,, Averaged, 15.5 mph, max 21.9, 35:10. I didn't save the cadence but was watching, maintained 70 - 75 cranks per minute for 80% or more of the ride.

Legs were like jello and I was sweating like a dog when I got back, it's 89* here. Ride was at 2:30 in the afternoon!

Last edited by JimTjr; 07-16-11 at 02:19 PM.
    Retired UAW, General Motors. Federal Employee with the USAFR. I have worked on the F-4 Phantom, F-15 A-D models, B-2 Stealth Bomber, and now working with the F-15E Strike Eagle.
    My new Bicycle, 2010 Specialized Allez, 56cm. Cateye Strada wireless computer, Speedplay pedals, Profile design aero bars. in the fastest color, RED.
    First "HALF CENTURY" Aug 20th 2011

http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?...ine=1310903096

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought your title was a cleverly worded code for having a crash on your first ride. I'm sure glad I was wrong. Like marriages, new bikes are fun, but they can get better with age if you treat them right. YMMV.

Now go have some pie to celebrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike, like the color too; red bikes are faster. That's a great first ride, especially with tennis shoes on speedplays.

Congrats!!

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride...i am always getting passed up by red bikes.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, 10wheels, maybe I'll be one of the guys passing you some day! LOL
    I look forward to getting shoes, and really getting serious. I'd like to do the organized ride from the LBS, they have a beginner ride on Tuesday nights. I won't have shoes by then I doubt.

Anyone know of a good place to order them from? And what's the best way to order shoes online? I ordered bowling shoes and am not real happy with how they fit when I got them. Worried this would happen with these too...
    I wish I had looked at the distance before I turned around, I'd like to have rounded the ride to 10 miles even! LOL
    Retired UAW, General Motors. Federal Employee with the USAFR. I have worked on the F-4 Phantom, F-15 A-D models, B-2 Stealth Bomber, and now working with the F-15E Strike Eagle.
    My new Bicycle, 2010 Specialized Allez, 56cm. Cateye Strada wireless computer, Speedplay pedals, Profile design aero bars. in the fastest color, RED.

My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 2.0, Trek 7100 (and too many assorted vintage bikes). :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. Great color. Nothing more fun than getting a new one. Now get out there and ride it some more!

My Bikes
    Trek 1400, Trek 6500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the T-Shirt! Nice ride.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! You're going to love the new bike. Ordering shoes online can be tricky. No two manufacturers use the same sizing standard. It can even vary within a brand. I bet your LBS has some cage pedals with toe clips and straps you could use for free until they can get you set up with shoes that fit.

Enjoy the bike. Sounds like you are about 3/4 of the way there on the cadence.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, JimTjr. Your new bike looks awesome! I hope you have many enjoyable miles on it in the future.

I am a new rider, and I am glad I bought my bike shoes in person at the LBS where I bought my bike. I bought a pair of Specialized "Expert Road" shoes. I had a lot of questions about bike shoes and integrating them with the clip-on cleats, and I relied on the information the store personnel told me. Many bike shoes are sized using the European metric system, so getting the right size online may be tricky. For instance, I normally am a size 8 1/2 in shoes, but I ended up buying a 42.5 European size bike shoe which, according to the shoe box, translates into a 9 1/2 USA size. I don't know if you have a lot of bike stores in your area, but you may want to shop in person for your first pair until you get a little experience in this area.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legs were like jello and I was sweating like a dog

Yeah! Isn't it great!
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bike.

Quote Originally Posted by JimTjr View Post
    You gonna flip the stem?
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try those shoes on. And, allow for your feet swelling in that heat. We get lots of posts from folks with toes that hurt - either from too tight shoelaces or shoes.

And congrats on the ride. Sure it wasn't 9.12, or 9.10 or is your computer accurate to the 1/100th ?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Nice looking bike.

You gonna flip the stem?
    I don't know,,, why? LOL,, educate me.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Yeah! Isn't it great!
    And yes,, it is great!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know,,, why? LOL,, educate me.
    You now have a Racing bike and as such it should always be ridden hard. You can't do that with the bars up that high.

You have to flip the stem to get those bars lower so that your ride position will put your head between your knees. That way yopu will be able to put maximum effort in --Or at least until you can until your back gives out

If you look at the stem you will find that it can be set up to give you two different heights for the bars along with spacers that can be taken out or replaced below the stem to give different heights. To the younger set- and face it you are not old yet- having the bars below the Saddle is the way they want it set up. Whether they find it comfortable is a different matter but to them the bike has to look right. Hence the term "Flip the stem" to give it the right look. It is down to individuals and you may find you want the bars lower at a later date. Till then just ride the bike set up to make it comfortable.

Below two pics- Both the same bike but with the black wheels is how it arrived- and the red wheels how it evolved. Flipped stem in the pics but the bars are now below the saddle for my body. I find it comfortable that way but as this bike does get loaned out occasionally- I have not cut the stem yet to cut the excessive weight of 2" of surplus stem.

B1.jpg B7.jpg
    Last edited by stapfam; 07-17-11 at 12:24 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I see that now, thanks. I think it was fairly comfortable the way it is, probably leave it for now. I did mess with riding on the aero bars, kinda tricky to handle. I'll get more comfortable there eventually I'm sure. That did get me down lower of course. Maybe in the future I'll do the flip just to see how it feels. I did have a very slight numbness in the palm of my left hand when I got back,, maybe how I was riding, I don't know.

To the replies on the shoes, I did decide I will not try ordering them. I'll shop the bike shop and see what they can do for me. (They have Bontragers) (SP?)
    I assume those a good shoes? (They make many other bike accessories, wheels and such, right?) Cost on them are around 130.00. I'd hoped to get into shoes for a little less, but some things shouldn't be shopped by price I guess! There is a Performance cycle over in Greensboro, they had a broader price range for shoes.
    What are you guys preference for shoes?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go check out the Performance shoes. You will get the same sales there as online, or you can order through www.performancebike.com and have them delivered to the store and if they don't fit, order something else.

I am surpsrised you are on aerobars?? Any reason for that? They are not allowed on some portions of the TdF, and many folks consider them a bit dangerous as they don't provide the best control, especially for beginners. I've never used them, and I see them on the trails and rides around here only with those who are high performance riders.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They came with the bike! Wouldn't have ran out and bought a pair, but 160.00 worth of aero bars for free, not a bad deal. I only paid 500.00 for the bike the way it sits, with the Cat Eye, aero bars, and Speed play pedals!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They came with the bike! Wouldn't have ran out and bought a pair, but 160.00 worth of aero bars for free, not a bad deal. I only paid 500.00 for the bike the way it sits, with the Cat Eye, aero bars, and Speed play pedals!
    Personally, I would take them off for now. JMHO, YMMV

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awe, they look cool! LOL,, and I am experimenting with them when it's safe to do so. I think I will like using them on occasion.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, I'm going out again right now!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back,,, 1 hour 17 minutes,, 18.72 miles, according to Map my ride and my Android phone.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/41944562#climbs

Figures to be just about 14.5 mph I guess. Oh, I DID have a 26.1 mph max! (Down a slight incline)

Still, in regular shorts and tennis shoes,, "the boys" ain't real happy right now!

I did do probably two miles on the aero bars, on a long stretch of deserted road, kept the bike in about an 18" path,, but couldn't "Stay on the white line" for a long distance. I think I may like them once I get used to them.

I did have some numbness in my hands the last couple miles,, an adjustment needed I presume?

Had some decent elevation change, if you look at the ride. (Is it viewable by everyone?) The link I posted?
    Last edited by JimTjr; 07-17-11 at 10:22 AM.

My Bikes
    DeSalvo Custom Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of different shoes with different widths, toe boxes and heel shapes and sizes. Make sure you buy them in the afternoon, your feet swell as the day goes on, and try a couple of different brands if possible. I like my Sidis, only 2nd pair in 25 yrs of riding, and I also have a pair of specialized shoes that I used on a mountain bike. Also don't buy the most expensive shoe in the beginning, and get a couple pairs of the same socks to wear only when you ride, I find low cut athletic socks the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should buy shoes in a store, rather than online. Different companies seem to size them quite differently - last time I tried buying online I ended up sending back about three pairs.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    You should buy shoes in a store, rather than online. Different companies seem to size them quite differently - last time I tried buying online I ended up sending back about three pairs.
    Yea, I agree, up in post #16 I decided that's the way. I bought a pair of bowling shoes on line, not crazy about how they fit, they're usable,, but not the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast