User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sweet Warm Breath of the Strawberry Fields

Another great reason to get out on the bike. Passed the strawberry fields on my regular ride and the delicious aroma of the ripe fruit is heavenly. Did 31 miles today as also yesterday. Decided to increase my regular ride by at least 5 miles. And another great day here in Maine. Let's hope next weekend (our 50th Wedding Anniversary) is like this. People coming from all over as far away as California.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another great reason to get out on the bike. Passed the strawberry fields on my regular ride and the delicious aroma of the ripe fruit is heavenly.
    That's one of the great features of bicycling--it brings one right up close to the environment. This past spring, I was doing a lot of cycling on a local trail, and there is a section which has fairly steep embankments on either side. At the time, there were a lot of wildflowers in bloom on both sides, and the aroma was great! It really made cycling there a treat.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's ride as yet another chance to enjoy the wonders of Georgia's annual humidity season.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the 50th!! We will be there in a couple of years (2014). I love strawberries, anad envy you the smell. Can you bottle some and send it to me?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's ride as yet another chance to enjoy the wonders of Georgia's annual humidity season.
    I'll trade you your heat plus humidity for our current week of rain. I'm getting tired of cleaning my drive train. I'm happy to have rain in the winter, it sure beats snow and ice, but this year's rainy season didn't end until mid-June and here it is coming back for dessert.

I guess I should feel guilty for complaining about the weather in a place with a near-perfect climate for year-round cycling. I guess I'm just in a whiny mood.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B. Carfree.......................................think real long and hard about your proposed trade.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/76450

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    B. Carfree.......................................think real long and hard about your proposed trade.

If I had anything to say about it; my choice would be to live in the PNW.
    Last edited by Louis; 07-17-11 at 12:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    Another great reason to get out on the bike. Passed the strawberry fields on my regular ride and the delicious aroma of the ripe fruit is heavenly. Did 31 miles today as also yesterday. Decided to increase my regular ride by at least 5 miles. And another great day here in Maine. Let's hope next weekend (our 50th Wedding Anniversary) is like this. People coming from all over as far away as California.
    Isn't strawberry season almost over about now? (P.S. I love your title.)

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Isn't strawberry season almost over about now? (P.S. I love your title.)
    They were still picking yesterday and I think I saw another field waiting to be picked.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Congratulations on the 50th!! We will be there in a couple of years (2014). I love strawberries, anad envy you the smell. Can you bottle some and send it to me?
    Surprised someone here has not already thought of that. Maybe I will suggest it to LL Bean.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    They were still picking yesterday and I think I saw another field waiting to be picked.
    In our area the season has been over for almost a month. However, the freezer is stocked with 12 quarts of the ripe red fruit. The smell of a strawberry field is much better than just the strawberries themselves. You get that sweet mixed with the earthy and it creates something wonderful, IMHO.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    In our area the season has been over for almost a month. However, the freezer is stocked with 12 quarts of the ripe red fruit. The smell of a strawberry field is much better than just the strawberries themselves. You get that sweet mixed with the earthy and it creates something wonderful, IMHO.
    Yup. As a child I was a professional strawberry picker...5 cents a quart. Shortly after strawberries went out, tomato season started. I got 10 cents a peck for tomatoes...if memory serves. Tomatoes ran right into school starting in early September. Some summer vacation, more like a bummer vacation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strawberry season generally wraps up around here at or about July 4th weekend.

My bride grew up on a 150 acre farm. The three main cash crops were Strawberries, Apples, and Grapes. Her childhood memories are often of picking berries, snipping grape vines, sorting apples, and working either their booth at the Farmer's Market or their roadside stand/ pick-your-own enterprise.

I think she looks back on her childhood memories fondly though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paid boysenberry and raspberry picker at an early age. I wonder how many child labor laws were violated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That smells more wonderful than the chicken houses I ride by when it's 95 degrees out.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monoborracho

Yikes, it looks like Texas is morphing into Hades!