User Tag List

My Bikes
    1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a 91 mile tribute ride to my friends today

It was probably about 47 years ago that my two friends and I rode our Schwinn Sting Rays about 50 miles to Lake Wawassee in northern Indiana. Iwas probably about 10 years old, and this was a big deal back then. I know our parents were nervous about the trip, but we finally talked them into it. We rode there and camped, then rode back the following day. As we got older our trips became longer and I moved up to a Schwinn Continental. On of the brothers I rode with latter on free lanced for Bicycle Magazine and did a trip from Canada down to Mexico, along the coast. He is now a renowned author who has written over 20 books on nature and wildlife. He will be writing a book about our adventures when we were kids

Today I retraced our route and took pictures of the house their parents resided at. 92 degree weather with a heat index over a 100 made it more challenging,
    84 Miyata 710
    10 Scott CR1 Team

We're not happy till you're not happy.

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We used to ride from Northridge CA to Malibu and back on Stingrays when we were kids. It must have taken 14 hours. I remember my rear hub (Bendix grease-drum) would sizzle and smoke after coming down the Santa Monica mountains. I couldn't imagine riding 60 miles on a 20" single-speed with no food or water on a so-cal summer day, but I did it.
    1886 Surrey machinists Invincible, 1900 Nashua, 1937 Raleigh Golden Arrow, 1938 Raleigh Silver Record, 1951 Armstrong tourmalet, 1970 Motobecane Grand Record, 1971 Raleigh Professional, 1971 Gitane TDF, 1972 Legnano Gran Primio, 1973, Peugeot PX-10, 1975 Roberts, 1984 Battaglin Giro, 1985 Grandis Speciale, 2012 FTW

frankthewelder@comcast.net

le prix s'oublie,la qualité reste ,(michel audiard)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woa, brings back a memory. Took off on my Schwinn Racer and did a 50 mile loop on the highways when I was about 12 years old. Major mistake of taking no water or food in addition to not telling the parents where I was going. Parents had the PA State Police out looking for me as dark approached. No lights or helmet either. Think I got grounded for a week upon arrival home.