Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-17-11, 05:03 PM   #1
SVThis

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team
I did a 91 mile tribute ride to my friends today

It was probably about 47 years ago that my two friends and I rode our Schwinn Sting Rays about 50 miles to Lake Wawassee in northern Indiana. Iwas probably about 10 years old, and this was a big deal back then. I know our parents were nervous about the trip, but we finally talked them into it. We rode there and camped, then rode back the following day. As we got older our trips became longer and I moved up to a Schwinn Continental. On of the brothers I rode with latter on free lanced for Bicycle Magazine and did a trip from Canada down to Mexico, along the coast. He is now a renowned author who has written over 20 books on nature and wildlife. He will be writing a book about our adventures when we were kids

Today I retraced our route and took pictures of the house their parents resided at. 92 degree weather with a heat index over a 100 made it more challenging,
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 06:25 PM   #2
ftwelder

Bikes: Many
We used to ride from Northridge CA to Malibu and back on Stingrays when we were kids. It must have taken 14 hours. I remember my rear hub (Bendix grease-drum) would sizzle and smoke after coming down the Santa Monica mountains. I couldn't imagine riding 60 miles on a 20" single-speed with no food or water on a so-cal summer day, but I did it.
ftwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 07:31 AM   #3
oilman_15106

Bikes:
Woa, brings back a memory. Took off on my Schwinn Racer and did a 50 mile loop on the highways when I was about 12 years old. Major mistake of taking no water or food in addition to not telling the parents where I was going. Parents had the PA State Police out looking for me as dark approached. No lights or helmet either. Think I got grounded for a week upon arrival home.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote