Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 79
  1. #1
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Oooops - wham...

    I started what was to be a long ride yesterday morning with eight other people. We planned to ride 120 miles, with some major climbing and a long fast descent in the middle of the route. We got through the climb and descent, stopped for a nice lunch, and then were heading for local bike shop in Aptos (near Santa Cruz) where one of the riders was going to have a broken spoke replaced. On that short five mile leg, I hit a cable stretched out just inside of the white line on the shoulder (at 20 mph) and was on the ground before I knew it. I landed hard on my left side - my head hit first, then my left arm and hip. I never lost consciousness, but I knew I was hurt. I was transported by ambulance to the ER at Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz where I was assessed, given eight stitches in my left eyebrow, had lots of gravel picked out of my left arm, and had the many other contusions I'd acquired tended to. I have to "rest" for a few days, can't swim for six days (when the stitches come out), so basically my training has come to a - ummm - crashing halt. Today, I'm pretty stiff and sore, especially my left arm, shoulder and hip, and I have a major shiner around my left eye, which I can't see out of very well right now. I look like holy hell! But, I'm not daunted, s**t happens, and I'll be back in the saddle as soon as I can.

    They talk about "road furniture" a lot in the TdF commentary. Well I now know just what that is!

    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  2. #2
    Senior Member bobbycorno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarals View Post
    I started what was to be a long ride yesterday morning with eight other people. We planned to ride 120 miles, with some major climbing and a long fast descent in the middle of the route. We got through the climb and descent, stopped for a nice lunch, and then were heading for local bike shop in Aptos (near Santa Cruz) where one of the riders was going to have a broken spoke replaced. On that short five mile leg, I hit a cable stretched out just inside of the white line on the shoulder (at 20 mph) and was on the ground before I knew it. I landed hard on my left side - my head hit first, then my left arm and hip. I never lost consciousness, but I knew I was hurt. I was transported by ambulance to the ER at Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz where I was assessed, given eight stitches in my left eyebrow, had lots of gravel picked out of my left arm, and had the many other contusions I'd acquired tended to. I have to "rest" for a few days, can't swim for six days (when the stitches come out), so basically my training has come to a - ummm - crashing halt. Today, I'm pretty stiff and sore, especially my left arm, shoulder and hip, and I have a major shiner around my left eye, which I can't see out of very well right now. I look like holy hell! But, I'm not daunted, s**t happens, and I'll be back in the saddle as soon as I can.

    They talk about "road furniture" a lot in the TdF commentary. Well I now know just what that is!

    OW! That hurt just READING about it! Glad you're keeping a good attitude. Hang in there!

    SP
    Bend, OR

  3. #3
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer! and OUCH!

    I hope you feel better soon. Why was there a cable in the road?

    The road furniture I hear about in the race coverage is usually concrete islands and curbs and such. Permanent structures, not things left in the road to create a hazard.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N.W.Ohio
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iam sorry that happened sarals.I bet you dont lose any conditioning the way you train.Just take it easy and you will be back stronger than ever.

  5. #5
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I know why I prefered falls offroad to Asphalt.


    Good job it was the left arm that hit--You can still use the right one to down a few cold ones to help with recuperation.

    Take care on the recovery and the cold ones might be needed toget sleep in tonight.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  6. #6
    Senior Member Allegheny Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Medina, OH
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Posts
    5,708
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heal quickly Sara. You are a very strong person, to be able take a hit like you describe, to come away with a few stitches and road rash!

    Were you in pace line and didn't see the cable?
    oldschool areodynamic brick

  7. #7
    Senior Member bigbadwullf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West, Tn.
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. Hope you heal up soon!

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

    2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

  8. #8
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! I'm glad you don't have any broken bones. Feel better soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  9. #9
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,470
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how quickly this s**t happens when it does happen. The six days will pass before you know it. Mind if I use the photo the next time I hear negative talk about older athletes? You are one tough woman. Heal quickly.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

  10. #10
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,514
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word: Teraderm!

    Well, a few more words. Truly sorry it happened, and congratulations on your positive attitude about it.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

  11. #11
    Senior Member SaiKaiTai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeowwww! You are truly one tough human being. Remind not to go riding in Aptos any time soon
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

  12. #12
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prayers up for a speedy recovery! Saral you are a trooper; would you like sirloin or ribeye with that eye? Can you elaborate on the cable? What was it doing there?
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  13. #13
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    It's amazing how quickly this s**t happens when it does happen. The six days will pass before you know it. Mind if I use the photo the next time I hear negative talk about older athletes? You are one tough woman. Heal quickly.
    Sure, you can use the photo! Help yourself. And thank you!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  14. #14
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    One word: Teraderm!

    Well, a few more words. Truly sorry it happened, and congratulations on your positive attitude about it.
    Thank you, my friend!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  15. #15
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Heal quickly Sara. You are a very strong person, to be able take a hit like you describe, to come away with a few stitches and road rash!

    Were you in pace line and didn't see the cable?
    Thank you, AJ!

    Yes, I was in a pace line. I was ninth wheel. We were rolling along at 20MPH, not terribly fast. The cable was an electrical cable, as it turns out, with sockets (that looked like hockey pucks) for lights to be used to light the entrance to a temporary camp ground. The cable was laid out parallel to the shoulder, right next to the white line, it wasn't secured, and the traffic cone marking it was at the end, not the beginning, of it (this is all second hand, I never saw the damn thing).

    Road furniture - okay, the permanent stuff! This didn't qualify.

    Tough? Me? No. Just determined.

    Thanks to everyone for the kind words and wishes.
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  16. #16
    Senior Member Cyclomania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    American SPacifNorthWest. PDX
    My Bikes
    American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear about your tragic fall! Sometimes group rides can prevent one from seeing obstacles: distractions--talking with others (similar to being on one's cell), watching the person's cadence ahead of you! One time I hit the light rail tracks on Market Street SF and yeah, "Whoom splat!," I went down quick. So I kinda can relate to the shock factor. Too bad I couldn't gather up the track and put it in my pannier like one of your friends did with your cable as a memento.

    Heal quickly my fellow cyclomaniac!

    Put some neosporin on that cheek right quick!
    Last edited by Cyclomania; 07-20-11 at 11:59 AM. Reason: grammer

  17. #17
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the road hazard I hit...

    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  18. #18
    Idiot Emeritus sarals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Posts
    4,340
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclomania View Post
    So sorry to hear about your tragic fall! Sometimes group rides can prevent one from seeing obstacles: distractions--talking with others (similar to being on one's cell), watching the person's cadence ahead of you! One time I hit the light rail tracks on Market Street SF and yeah, "Whoom splat!," I went down quick. So I kinda can relate to the shock factor. Too bad I couldn't gather up the track and put it in my pannier like one of your friends did with your cable as a memento.

    Heal quickly my fellow cyclomaniac!

    Put some neosporin on that cheek right quick!
    Thank you!!! I've been liberal with the neosporin! My left arm is far worse, but - it works!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

  19. #19
    Sore saddle cyclist Shifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Posts
    3,786
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! So sorry to read about your fall, glad there were others there to help you. Heal quickly, you'll be back in the saddle in no time.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

  20. #20
    Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Posts
    2,395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sara,
    Your attitude has been inspirational to me - still is. I hope that you heal fully and get back out there better than ever!
    Phil G.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Cyclomania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    American SPacifNorthWest. PDX
    My Bikes
    American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you contacted an attorney. See if you can get some compensation. Who's liable for this crime?

    Uninvited road furniture! Bahhh!
    Last edited by Cyclomania; 07-20-11 at 12:57 PM.
    Sometimes when I'm out doing a shopping run, I'll be offered a free sample (cut of pizza, doughnut, cheezywiz thingy)...little do they know that behind every bite is my gasoline!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Solo, Specialised Sirrus Triple (quick road tourer), Santana Arriva Tandem
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouchey!

    My very best wishes for fast healing and recovery. Your picture of the offending cable looks like a real hazard.

    And there was I, feeling that Bahrain has some issues which are becoming tiresome and that I should settle back in Santa Cruz....

    Heal up fast!

  23. #23
    ES&D t4mv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Roadieville, USA
    My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Posts
    1,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word: Teraderm!

    ...
    Actually, I think you want Tegaderm, but you can get lower cost alternatives from Longs, etc, and they work great. Just slap 'em on and leave it for a week+ to let the skin heal up. Maybe you can wander over to Bike Station and play with all the bike bits while you recover. Heal up fast!

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bristol, R. I.
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Posts
    1,598
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy mackerel, here I had been thinking Le Tour was exciting. All I have to do for a charge is read the 50+ forum. You have proved what I've suspected for some time - women are tougher than men. I know you will be back in no time and as strong as ever but don't do that again. I can only stand so much excitement.

  25. #25
    Senior Member ItsJustAHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    FYI, whoever laid that cable may have been in violation of state regulations per the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD - the CalTrans document that covers temporary work done on state roadways) by failing to properly cone off the work area. Might be worth looking into so that someone else doesn't crash.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •