Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pace lines: Are we guilty of breaking the law?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-20-11, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A recent crash post got me to thinking. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

If we ride in pace lines on roadways are we guilty of not allowing room between us and the vehicle(another bike) in front of us? Let the fun begin
Old 07-20-11, 01:23 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Depending on the state, maybe. With a good line you might just break a speed limit or two as well.

In my opinion, though, there are much easier ways to break a state law than organizing an effective pace line.
Old 07-20-11, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a little off the subject but is on pacelines.I have noticed this year people have been running pacelines on the bike path.It does not look like a good idea to me with alot of rec.bikers and kids and walkers and joggers and wildlife on the path.I saw a group of 8 sunday and they just about pulled out infront of me as they were attempting to pass someone on their side.
Old 07-20-11, 02:11 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Several local towns near Chicago forbid more than two cyclist riding side-by-side. A few of the local clubs will run large peletons of 40 or more riders. These take an entire lane and are disliked by the locals.
Old 07-20-11, 02:17 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Pace lines in and of themselves can certainly be dangerous, but not illegal. On the other hand, when pacelines run stop signs, traffic signals or commit other roadway (and/or bike path) attrocities, then for sure, those can be/are illegal.

I've seen all kinds of horrible crashes due to poor paceline techniques, or simply unexpected surprises encountered on the road surface(s). So, legality aside for a moment, pacelines can be very dangerous.

On the other side of the coin, however, a well done paceline is a wonderful thing, very energy saving and a joy to behold (or ride in). I could cover all the usual paceline do's and don't here, but they've already been well covered in other threads. I'll just leave it at: Pick you pacelines wisely!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-20-11, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good advice Rick.
Old 07-20-11, 02:47 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
On the other side of the coin, however, a well done paceline is a wonderful thing, very energy saving and a joy to behold (or ride in). I could cover all the usual paceline do's and don't here, but they've already been well covered in other threads. I'll just leave it at: Pick you pacelines wisely!
This bicycling is a very strange thing.

Many of us (at least me) ride bicycles for exercise and to "stay fit, lose weight or get in shape."

Then we devise all sorts of ways to defeat that objective, such as energy savings pacelines, lighter bikes and on and on.

**********************************************************************???
Old 07-20-11, 02:54 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is a paceline? Please forgive my ignorance...
Old 07-20-11, 03:59 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
This is a paceline...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
paceline.jpg (72.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-20-11, 04:30 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's when ridders ride close behind one another in an effort to draft off the person in front. There is a system where the lead bike changes so everyone gets a chance at the front.
Old 07-20-11, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Many of us (at least me) ride bicycles for exercise and to "stay fit, lose weight or get in shape."

Then we devise all sorts of ways to defeat that objective, such as energy savings pacelines, lighter bikes and on and on.

Same amount of exercise. You simply go further, faster, funner. Same as light road bikes compared to heavy hybrids or mountain bikes. Plus riding with group of fast guys can be highly motivating forcing you to work much harder and get more/better exercise than you would just noodling along on your own.
Old 07-20-11, 05:04 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Looigi
Same amount of exercise. You simply go further, faster, funner. Same as light road bikes compared to heavy hybrids or mountain bikes. Plus riding with group of fast guys can be highly motivating forcing you to work much harder and get more/better exercise than you would just noodling along on your own.
Hmmm!!

Who gets the most exercise out of a Century?

The guys in the paceline who finish in 4 hours and 12 minutes or whatever, or the single rider who does it in 6 hours?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-20-11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 05:49 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Hmmm!!

Who gets the most ex4ercise out of a Century?

The guys in the paceline who finish in 4 hours and 12 minutes or whatever, or the single rider who does it in 6 hours?
I would say they both are getting an almost equal amount of exersize. The paceline riders do have to share the lead and need to put out power as required to keep-up. The 6 hour solo rider is putting out a steady effort, with fewer peaks or valleys in power output.
Old 07-20-11, 05:54 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I would say they both are getting an almost equal amount of exersize. The paceline riders do have to share the lead and need to put out power as required to keep-up. The 6 hour solo rider is putting out a steady effort, with fewer peaks or valleys in power output.
Then Rock@OCRR's statement above in post #5 is false? On the other side of the coin, however, a well done paceline is a wonderful thing, very energy saving

Is it or is it not energy saving? If it is not, then why do it?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-20-11 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Those are for more competitive and advanced cyclists. I find nothing wrong with a well run pace line. I do have an issue with LBS type group rides that are disorganized, don't hold lines and often occupy a full lane.
Old 07-20-11, 07:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil85207
It's when ridders ride close behind one another in an effort to draft off the person in front. There is a system where the lead bike changes so everyone gets a chance at the front.
Oh, I see... Thanks
Old 07-20-11, 08:09 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmmm!!

In a paceline you are exerting a little less effort than if you were doing you best speed riding alone until it is your turn to pull. When pulling you work harder than you would solo because when you fade the other riders will pull you along as you recover. In my experience, most paceline riders work hard. What's gained in efficiency is poured into extra speed.
Old 07-20-11, 08:14 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Everybody who rides a century gets more than enough exercise.
Old 07-20-11, 08:16 PM
Have bike, will travel

Then Rock@OCRR's statement above in post #5 is false? On the other side of the coin, however, a well done paceline is a wonderful thing, very energy saving

Is it or is it not energy saving? If it is not, then why do it?

It's energy saving when you are well protected and in a good draft. However, when you are out of the draft, you need a ton of power to lead or catch-up at 25 mph. Do that too often, and the energy savings in muted.
Old 07-20-11, 08:20 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by gcottay
In a paceline you are exerting a little less effort than if you were doing you best speed riding alone until it is your turn to pull. When pulling you work harder than you would solo because when you fade the other riders will pull you along as you recover. In my experience, most paceline riders work hard. What's gained in efficiency is poured into extra speed.
But if you have extra speed, then you do the exercise for a shorter period of time, resulting in less total energy expended.

I think you guys just like to watch each other's rear tires turn, and make up excuses as to why you think it is necessary!
Old 07-20-11, 08:23 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Hmmm!!

Come on, Denver. You know that depends on a great number of variables, not the least of which is the overall fitness of the individuals involved (how much lean mass vs. extra body fat and cardio-vascular fitness are just two things to think about here), the mechanical efficiency of the bikes they are using, weather conditions that can change in the 1 hours and 48 minute difference given in your example, etc. I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make. Clearly a pace line isn't for everyone. I, for one, despise being in one. I like riding at my pace and don't choose to experience cycling as a team or cooperative sport. If I did, I'm guessing I'd come to appreciate pace lines in a different way.
Old 07-20-11, 08:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks cool.
Old 07-20-11, 08:26 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by teachme
It looks cool.
Yes, that's it!!
Old 07-20-11, 08:26 PM
Have bike, will travel

I review of swimmers times during the 2008 Olympics showed that relay swimmer swim faster than during individual events of the same duration. Needing to contribute to a group is a powerful motivator.

Cycling is strategic, with racers conserving power for the right moment. However, keeping pace with a fast group is always demanding, cycling alone depends on individual motivation.
Old 07-20-11, 08:27 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by NOS88
Come on, Denver. You know that depends on a great number of variables, not the least of which is the overall fitness of the individuals involved (how much lean mass vs. extra body fat and cardio-vascular fitness are just two things to think about here), the mechanical efficiency of the bikes they are using, weather conditions that can change in the 1 hours and 48 minute difference given in your example, etc. I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make. Clearly a pace line isn't for everyone. I, for one, despise being in one. I like riding at my pace and don't choose to experience cycling as a team or cooperative sport. If I did, I'm guessing I'd come to appreciate pace lines in a different way.
In my mind I assumed equal bike, fitness, etc. I guess I didn't state that and should have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.