Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pace lines: Are we guilty of breaking the law?

A recent crash post got me to thinking. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

If we ride in pace lines on roadways are we guilty of not allowing room between us and the vehicle(another bike) in front of us? Let the fun begin

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the state, maybe. With a good line you might just break a speed limit or two as well.

In my opinion, though, there are much easier ways to break a state law than organizing an effective pace line.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a little off the subject but is on pacelines.I have noticed this year people have been running pacelines on the bike path.It does not look like a good idea to me with alot of rec.bikers and kids and walkers and joggers and wildlife on the path.I saw a group of 8 sunday and they just about pulled out infront of me as they were attempting to pass someone on their side.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several local towns near Chicago forbid more than two cyclist riding side-by-side. A few of the local clubs will run large peletons of 40 or more riders. These take an entire lane and are disliked by the locals.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pace lines in and of themselves can certainly be dangerous, but not illegal. On the other hand, when pacelines run stop signs, traffic signals or commit other roadway (and/or bike path) attrocities, then for sure, those can be/are illegal.

I've seen all kinds of horrible crashes due to poor paceline techniques, or simply unexpected surprises encountered on the road surface(s). So, legality aside for a moment, pacelines can be very dangerous.

On the other side of the coin, however, a well done paceline is a wonderful thing, very energy saving and a joy to behold (or ride in). I could cover all the usual paceline do's and don't here, but they've already been well covered in other threads. I'll just leave it at: Pick you pacelines wisely!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good advice Rick.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other side of the coin, however, a well done paceline is a wonderful thing, very energy saving and a joy to behold (or ride in). I could cover all the usual paceline do's and don't here, but they've already been well covered in other threads. I'll just leave it at: Pick you pacelines wisely!
    This bicycling is a very strange thing.

Many of us (at least me) ride bicycles for exercise and to "stay fit, lose weight or get in shape."

Then we devise all sorts of ways to defeat that objective, such as energy savings pacelines, lighter bikes and on and on.

??????????????????????????????????????
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a paceline? Please forgive my ignorance...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a paceline...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's when ridders ride close behind one another in an effort to draft off the person in front. There is a system where the lead bike changes so everyone gets a chance at the front.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

Many of us (at least me) ride bicycles for exercise and to "stay fit, lose weight or get in shape."

Then we devise all sorts of ways to defeat that objective, such as energy savings pacelines, lighter bikes and on and on.

Same amount of exercise. You simply go further, faster, funner. Same as light road bikes compared to heavy hybrids or mountain bikes. Plus riding with group of fast guys can be highly motivating forcing you to work much harder and get more/better exercise than you would just noodling along on your own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Same amount of exercise. You simply go further, faster, funner. Same as light road bikes compared to heavy hybrids or mountain bikes. Plus riding with group of fast guys can be highly motivating forcing you to work much harder and get more/better exercise than you would just noodling along on your own.
    Hmmm!!

Who gets the most exercise out of a Century?

The guys in the paceline who finish in 4 hours and 12 minutes or whatever, or the single rider who does it in 6 hours?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-20-11 at 05:57 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm!!

Who gets the most ex4ercise out of a Century?

The guys in the paceline who finish in 4 hours and 12 minutes or whatever, or the single rider who does it in 6 hours?
    I would say they both are getting an almost equal amount of exersize. The paceline riders do have to share the lead and need to put out power as required to keep-up. The 6 hour solo rider is putting out a steady effort, with fewer peaks or valleys in power output.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I would say they both are getting an almost equal amount of exersize. The paceline riders do have to share the lead and need to put out power as required to keep-up. The 6 hour solo rider is putting out a steady effort, with fewer peaks or valleys in power output.
    Then Rock@OCRR's statement above in post #5 is false? On the other side of the coin, however, a well done paceline is a wonderful thing, very energy saving

Is it or is it not energy saving? If it is not, then why do it?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-20-11 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are for more competitive and advanced cyclists. I find nothing wrong with a well run pace line. I do have an issue with LBS type group rides that are disorganized, don't hold lines and often occupy a full lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    It's when ridders ride close behind one another in an effort to draft off the person in front. There is a system where the lead bike changes so everyone gets a chance at the front.
    Oh, I see... Thanks

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm!!

In a paceline you are exerting a little less effort than if you were doing you best speed riding alone until it is your turn to pull. When pulling you work harder than you would solo because when you fade the other riders will pull you along as you recover. In my experience, most paceline riders work hard. What's gained in efficiency is poured into extra speed.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody who rides a century gets more than enough exercise.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then Rock@OCRR's statement above in post #5 is false? On the other side of the coin, however, a well done paceline is a wonderful thing, very energy saving

Is it or is it not energy saving? If it is not, then why do it?

It's energy saving when you are well protected and in a good draft. However, when you are out of the draft, you need a ton of power to lead or catch-up at 25 mph. Do that too often, and the energy savings in muted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    In a paceline you are exerting a little less effort than if you were doing you best speed riding alone until it is your turn to pull. When pulling you work harder than you would solo because when you fade the other riders will pull you along as you recover. In my experience, most paceline riders work hard. What's gained in efficiency is poured into extra speed.
    But if you have extra speed, then you do the exercise for a shorter period of time, resulting in less total energy expended.

I think you guys just like to watch each other's rear tires turn, and make up excuses as to why you think it is necessary!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm!!

Come on, Denver. You know that depends on a great number of variables, not the least of which is the overall fitness of the individuals involved (how much lean mass vs. extra body fat and cardio-vascular fitness are just two things to think about here), the mechanical efficiency of the bikes they are using, weather conditions that can change in the 1 hours and 48 minute difference given in your example, etc. I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make. Clearly a pace line isn't for everyone. I, for one, despise being in one. I like riding at my pace and don't choose to experience cycling as a team or cooperative sport. If I did, I'm guessing I'd come to appreciate pace lines in a different way.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks cool.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    It looks cool.
    Yes, that's it!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I review of swimmers times during the 2008 Olympics showed that relay swimmer swim faster than during individual events of the same duration. Needing to contribute to a group is a powerful motivator.

Cycling is strategic, with racers conserving power for the right moment. However, keeping pace with a fast group is always demanding, cycling alone depends on individual motivation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Come on, Denver. You know that depends on a great number of variables, not the least of which is the overall fitness of the individuals involved (how much lean mass vs. extra body fat and cardio-vascular fitness are just two things to think about here), the mechanical efficiency of the bikes they are using, weather conditions that can change in the 1 hours and 48 minute difference given in your example, etc. I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make. Clearly a pace line isn't for everyone. I, for one, despise being in one. I like riding at my pace and don't choose to experience cycling as a team or cooperative sport. If I did, I'm guessing I'd come to appreciate pace lines in a different way.
    In my mind I assumed equal bike, fitness, etc. I guess I didn't state that and should have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast