astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will I be on Google Street View?

This morning I was riding on Mountan Road in Hunterdon County, NJ, and was passed by a Google Street View Car. As it went by, and I saw the camera pod mounted on a tower above the car, I thought what the heck is that??? After some thought I figured it must be a street view car and checking Google, that's what it was.

The thing is, Mountain Road is in the Sourlands - a very wooded area. The houses are on big lots and are set way back, so mostly what street view will show is trees and possibly a cyclist with a US flag on the back of a pannier!

- Ed

My Bikes
    69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know when you show up!

Essentials Bike Works DirtyHarry714's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See signature
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ha i was on this but not on my road bike, i was just kickin' it skating in front of my house with my brother. Yeah put the pic up when you find it!

My Bikes
    Giant Boulder SE, Fuji 3.0 Newest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be too cool if you were on Google street view. Good luck, let us know!
    With God all things are possible.

Fuji Newest 3.0
    Giant Boulder!

http://app.strava.com/athletes/117694

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...Iqb/weight.png

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by groth View Post
    This morning I was riding on Mountan Road in Hunterdon County, NJ, and was passed by a Google Street View Car. As it went by, and I saw the camera pod mounted on a tower above the car, I thought what the heck is that??? After some thought I figured it must be a street view car and checking Google, that's what it was.

The thing is, Mountain Road is in the Sourlands - a very wooded area. The houses are on big lots and are set way back, so mostly what street view will show is trees and possibly a cyclist with a US flag on the back of a pannier!

- Ed
    Possibly but also possibly blurred beyond recognition. I followed one of their cars for a mile or so near home and never showed up.

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

I think they eliminate or blur the people out for privacy reasons. Think of the law suit if a google shot showed someone emerging from a lover's home and the husband/wife recognized the house and the individual involved.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before the last updated satellite image on Google Maps, I could see myself mowing the lawn when magnifying the image to maximum. Our gardenís status indicated the image must have been taken sometime in early June. Somehow I missed the satellite up in the sky that day. The current image shows several cars and mini-vans parked in our driveway and on the street indicating that my wife must have had the girl's over for some kind of event.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend can time the picture on the sattelite shot to less than a half hour period. He had spread out a large tarp on his lawn to fold then was drafted to take his daughter to a friends house ,came back folded the tarp and voila a tarp on his lawn from above.
    Last edited by overthehillmedi; 07-21-11 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend told me to google street view his house. He said, look in the NW corner of the house. Yup, his wife sunbathing. And he adds, "yeah that's all she does".

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aerial view of my garden was taken When I was spreading Netting out on the lawns to dry out before storage.

And Street view--One of my customers saw the van coming- Stood in front of his house and jumped in his car and 1/2 mile up the road- There he is again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked up the house in which I spent my formative years. It has a large front window and the current occupant can be seen (face blurred), standing with one hand on her hip and the phone pressed to her ear. It looks to me like she's saying "I'd like to report a creepy looking guy outside my house taking photographs!".

** Edited to add:
    I went back and looked and her face isn't blurred, you just can't really see it through the glass.
    Last edited by Connell; 07-21-11 at 03:36 PM.
    "I heard the music and I wrote to it. Some people beat drums, some people strum guitars. It's all in the music you hear" ~ Hunter S. Thompson