My Bikes
    Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clipless Pedal Necessities, DUH

Guys and Gals,
    Ordered me some Shimano SH-R077 shoes the other day along with Shimano clipless pedals PD-A530. I ordered this type of shoe because you can walk on them as you have recessed cleats. Also the clipless pedals because they can be ridden clipped in, or with regular athletic shoes. Had SM-SH56 cleat set ordered to put on the shoes. Lo and behold, didn't know that I also needed to order Shimano SPD Adapter so I can walk around in the shoes with the cleats without scuffing up the floor, etc. It is the rubber piece that goes under the cleats and provides rubber contact with ground. Amazing, how one can get "nickel and dimed" to death. The learning curve for this newbie continues.
    Last edited by Roustabout; 07-21-11 at 12:15 PM. Reason: didn't finish post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are road shoes. MTB shoes have recessed cleats. If you use SPD cleats on road shoes, you need pontoons to be able to walk in them and not scrape up the floor or damage the cleat.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might as well have used road pedals with road shoes. With MTB shoes the cleat is recessed into the sole so you can walk in them. Still some minor cleat contact with the ground.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully what I have will work out well and I didn't screw up. Just wanted some decent shoes so I can clip in to help with power and keep my feet and knees aligned well. We'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    see if you can exchange the shoes for mountain shoes...

train safe-

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are road shoes. MTB shoes have recessed cleats.
    I don't know why one would do it because it has to be uncomfortable, but there are a few regulars at the wilderness park I ride at that wear road shoes with SPD cleats. Only thing I can think of is that they had the shoes with another system and then went to MTB pedals.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried out the Shimano SPD shoes with the new dual platform pedals today on a short 15 mile ride and everything seems to work very well. The shoes are comfortable for riding (for which I bought them), not for tackling mountain trails. To the naysayers, I am pleased with my purchase and my setup. I set the release on the pedals at an easy clip-out setting starting off while I get used to clipping in and out. Later as I get more accustomed to them, I will probably make them a little more tight. Again, I am pleased that I bought road shoes, and not MTB footwear. BTW, the adaptor works well with the shoes to make them "recessed".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on a short 15 mile ride
    Are you sure it wasn't a long 15 mile ride?

Flying & Biking Member Rickochet's Avatar
    My Bikes
    TREK 2005 Navigator 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good example of why it is so important to shop at our LBS. I scoured the internet sites for clip-less pedals and shoes that I could walk in to a restaurant without walking like a duck. I almost ordered the same Shimano set up, but after visiting a few LBS's, I went with the Specialized GB Tahoe shoes and Shimano PDM-324 pedals. This makes for an awesome combination that works well for my application. With this setup, I can walk right in to my favorite cafe` after a 30 miles ride and nobody knows the difference. Except for some sweat....
    TREK 1.2
    TREK Navigator
    Giant MTB

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roustabout View Post
    Hopefully what I have will work out well and I didn't screw up. Just wanted some decent shoes so I can clip in to help with power and keep my feet and knees aligned well. We'll see.
    If it's leg alignment that you're concerned about stongly suggest that you consider adding a set of "kneesavers" to your pedal set up. (more nickles & dimes)

http://www.kneesaver.net/

Kneesavers will take out that inward pull all bikes have at the bottom of the pedal stroke which , with clips, will become important to your knee, ankles & hip joints.

On a personal note: I think that clipless is dumb on the street but not everybody believes me.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    If it's leg alignment that you're concerned about stongly suggest that you consider adding a set of "kneesavers" to your pedal set up. (more nickles & dimes)

http://www.kneesaver.net/

Kneesavers will take out that inward pull all bikes have at the bottom of the pedal stroke which , with clips, will become important to your knee, ankles & hip joints.

On a personal note: I think that clipless is dumb on the street but not everybody believes me.
    Sigh. Can you provide evidence that the average person needs a pedal or crankarm extension with clipless? Or is this just another "opinion" you are presenting as fact, ala your previous claim that all fat cyclists have problems with blood circulation?

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    Can you provide evidence that the average person needs a pedal or crankarm extension with clipless?
    Can YOU provide evidence that my suggestion will not benefit the rider from trying my suggested "kneesavers"??
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Can YOU provide evidence that my suggestion will not benefit the rider from trying my suggested "kneesavers"??
    I can't evidence of it any more than I can provide evidence he'd be better off on taking a medication when he has no physical complaint. But recommending a pedal extension as a "necessity" for clipless is as absurd as your claims fat people can't wear Lycra for health reasons. I ride with clipless riders all the time, and none of them use extenders. In fact, the only person I know who does is me, and I don't ride clipless.