Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

wreckrider
    My Bikes
    cannondale carbon synapse 5/ specialized secteur elite/moto cafe sprint/ jamis steel hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does a carbon seat post alleviate back pain?

currently riding an alum secteur elite. on occassion i come home with an achy lower back. my secteur has a carborn fork and i wonder if installing a carbon seat post would help reduce the back aches. i probably should have bought a bike with carbon stays also but couldn't afford more at the time. any ideas?
    For those adventurers who "wish to wander into the history of their lives" Don Q-Cervantes
    cannondale carbon synapse 5* specialized secteur elite (alum) * Jamis Citizen (steel-hybrid)

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. A carbon seat won't make any meaningful difference. The length of the stem...overall fit...the height of the handlebar in relation to the seat and the seat itself will make a difference. First check the overall fit of the bike and get a shorter stem if necessary. Raise the stem/handlebars if necessary. Check the saddle...try a different one..play with the tilt of the saddle. You could try a saddle with built in springs. There are some seat posts with springs/rubber inserts that may have a meaningful effect but carbon vs aluminum in and of itself won't do anything significant. I would also add that changing up your position will help a lot. Get down on the drops for a while here and there. It may make you even more sore for a while but it will help strengthen your back too. Back exercises will help. And do some drugs. Like Ibuprophen. A sore back is my limiting factor when riding. In a recent race the last 5 miles or so of my 70 mile section were just pure agony from my aching back so you're not alone.
    Last edited by digibud; 07-22-11 at 12:38 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A carbon seat post may take some of the buzziness out of the ride, but I doubt it will make much difference to back pain. If you're happy with the way the bike is set up, then I'd suggest that the only thing that is likely to sort it out is working on your core muscles.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the first two responses indicate, it's not likely it will make any real difference. I'd advocate checking your setup vry carefully. Sometimes folks get lower back pain because they are not stretched out enough (i.e., they have their seat too far forward). It's hard to tell what is causing your back pain, but it never hurts to work on building core strength.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does a carbon seat post alleviate back pain?
    Yes, because it makes your wallet thinner and lighter.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As already stated by others, basically no. Try experimenting with riding position. Contrary to what conventional wisdom suggests, I found a lower more stretched out position to be better for my back. Tops of my bars are 10cm below the top of my saddle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your lower back probably hurts more on 1) longer rides, and, 2) hillier rides. Do as noted above, plus strengthening exercises specific to lower back support. Lot's of info, but here's one: http://www.free-weight-training-prog...exercises.html

Also, Cat pose with alternate arm/leg extended (right arm/left leg, etc.). When you can hold these, rotate extended hand and foot in small circles to count of ten, alternating sides. Do several sets. Also, lay on floor, bring knees to chest, wrap arms around legs, and roll side to side on lower part of back will usually bring some relief to those areas.

Do not do the typical core strengthening exercises, such as crunches and leg lifts while laying on your back. These will only exacerbate the problem.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."