Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-11, 11:39 PM   #1
rosinante25
wreckrider

Bikes: cannondale carbon synapse 5/ specialized secteur elite/moto cafe sprint/ jamis steel hybrid
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does a carbon seat post alleviate back pain?

currently riding an alum secteur elite. on occassion i come home with an achy lower back. my secteur has a carborn fork and i wonder if installing a carbon seat post would help reduce the back aches. i probably should have bought a bike with carbon stays also but couldn't afford more at the time. any ideas?
rosinante25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 12:31 AM   #2
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No. A carbon seat won't make any meaningful difference. The length of the stem...overall fit...the height of the handlebar in relation to the seat and the seat itself will make a difference. First check the overall fit of the bike and get a shorter stem if necessary. Raise the stem/handlebars if necessary. Check the saddle...try a different one..play with the tilt of the saddle. You could try a saddle with built in springs. There are some seat posts with springs/rubber inserts that may have a meaningful effect but carbon vs aluminum in and of itself won't do anything significant. I would also add that changing up your position will help a lot. Get down on the drops for a while here and there. It may make you even more sore for a while but it will help strengthen your back too. Back exercises will help. And do some drugs. Like Ibuprophen. A sore back is my limiting factor when riding. In a recent race the last 5 miles or so of my 70 mile section were just pure agony from my aching back so you're not alone.

Last edited by digibud; 07-22-11 at 12:38 AM.
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 02:54 AM   #3
chasm54
Banned.

Bikes:
A carbon seat post may take some of the buzziness out of the ride, but I doubt it will make much difference to back pain. If you're happy with the way the bike is set up, then I'd suggest that the only thing that is likely to sort it out is working on your core muscles.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 06:26 AM   #4
NOS88

Bikes:
As the first two responses indicate, it's not likely it will make any real difference. I'd advocate checking your setup vry carefully. Sometimes folks get lower back pain because they are not stretched out enough (i.e., they have their seat too far forward). It's hard to tell what is causing your back pain, but it never hurts to work on building core strength.
Old 07-22-11, 09:20 AM   #5
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
does a carbon seat post alleviate back pain?
Yes, because it makes your wallet thinner and lighter.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 10:00 AM   #6
Looigi

Bikes:
As already stated by others, basically no. Try experimenting with riding position. Contrary to what conventional wisdom suggests, I found a lower more stretched out position to be better for my back. Tops of my bars are 10cm below the top of my saddle.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 01:29 PM   #7
Terex

Bikes:
Your lower back probably hurts more on 1) longer rides, and, 2) hillier rides. Do as noted above, plus strengthening exercises specific to lower back support. Lot's of info, but here's one: http://www.free-weight-training-prog...exercises.html

Also, Cat pose with alternate arm/leg extended (right arm/left leg, etc.). When you can hold these, rotate extended hand and foot in small circles to count of ten, alternating sides. Do several sets. Also, lay on floor, bring knees to chest, wrap arms around legs, and roll side to side on lower part of back will usually bring some relief to those areas.

Do not do the typical core strengthening exercises, such as crunches and leg lifts while laying on your back. These will only exacerbate the problem.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote