Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

because every single mile is 5280 feet.....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 05:08 PM
Trying to stay upright.

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads ~1996

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did 5.1 miles today. A new record (again). We have been having temps above 100 for the past week, and it's been miserable. Today it rained for a few minutes, and the temperature dropped about 15*F. WHooohoooo!!! I finished some errands, and went to Google maps and pulled up my area, then clicked on topo and found a flat area, and went over there and rode. It was still pretty hot, but on a relatively flat area, I was able to pedal most of the ride. That was fun. There is a paved bike trail about 30 miles from here that I would like to ride, but since it was already getting to be evening on a Friday, I figured it would be packed. I don't have the reflexes for a crowded bike path yet. I am going to try that path on a weekday, later in the morning, after the morning runners and strollers are gone, and before the lunch time bunch descends. I am hoping it will be quiet. The whole trail is 10 miles. I might do parts of it back and forth over a few days and work up to the whole 20 miles (up and back).

Last edited by Wreader; 07-22-11 at 05:10 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-22-11, 05:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep up the good work & have fun. 10 will turn into a 100 before you know it.
Old 07-22-11, 05:16 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you, Wreader. I am glad you were able to get a ride in despite the brutal heat. I am going to try to get my Saturday ride in tomorrow, though I will be very cautious about the heat. It hit 104 degrees here in the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pa., today, making it the hottest temperatures I have ever experienced. You can bet I will be cycling very early in the day, tomorrow, if I decide to go.
Old 07-22-11, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Know what you are dealing with concerning the weather. Here in East Texas I try to get off by 6AM and be thru riding in an hour or two. Trying to build up my stamina but it would sure be easier if the weather would cooperate. Keep at it.
Old 07-22-11, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't worry about distance, concern yourself with time. Aim at at least 45 minutes per ride, 4-5 time per week. Get in the time, and the miles and speed will come. You'll be surprised how fast you improve, so long as you put in the time.
Old 07-22-11, 08:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
Don't worry about distance, concern yourself with time. Aim at at least 45 minutes per ride, 4-5 time per week. Get in the time, and the miles and speed will come. You'll be surprised how fast you improve, so long as you put in the time.
+1

And make sure you take a rest day during the week. Don't think that you have to get out there all the time. Your body needs time to recover as well.
Old 07-22-11, 08:54 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Your title led me to believe you lived in Denver, where we constantly have 5280 feet as a starting point, and we call ourselves the Mile High City (actually, I live at 6,000 feet).

But, congratulations - ever figure out how many inches you went?
Old 07-30-11, 09:43 AM
Trying to stay upright.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up in Denver and ABQ, both a mile or more high. That is the one measurement I always got right in school. I could tell you inches, it might be better because I would have bigger numbers, but this is hard enough.
I did another 2.1 miles today. 80*F, 80% humidity. :-( I made it up the first little hill to get out of my area. There are two hills, stair-stepped going one way, and a larger hill going the other way. Have not made it up the larger one, and have walked up the two stair-stepped ones before, today I got up over the first stair. I feel like "the Great Escape"; just trying every day to get a little closer to getting out of my own little area and out into the big, wide world. :-)

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Your title led me to believe you lived in Denver, where we constantly have 5280 feet as a starting point, and we call ourselves the Mile High City (actually, I live at 6,000 feet).

But, congratulations - ever figure out how many inches you went?
Old 07-30-11, 09:54 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you get out and ride at dawn? In hot weather beating the sun transforms a midday endurance contest into pure pleasure.

At whatever time of day, enjoy your rides.
Old 07-30-11, 01:56 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations! Any ride is a good ride as long as you enjoy it. I love this cycling thang!!
Old 07-30-11, 02:05 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
So do you have to subtract 720' from the length of every ride?
Old 07-30-11, 02:08 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the good work of getting a little farther each day.
Old 07-30-11, 04:15 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wreader
I did another 2.1 miles today. 80*F, 80% humidity. :-(
For what it's worth, you're not alone out there.

It was 75F and 95% humidity when I left this morning before 8 am, then about 80F when I got back 40 minutes later, still 95%. Pretty much a dead calm except for wind from passing vehicles.

Riding (or not!) as I've been lately -- Once a month or so --- due to various reasons, it could easily turn to frustration, but I'm trying not to go there. Today was 7.x miles. I've discovered that as long as it's flat, within my 'personal context' I'm OK for the most part. But, throw in even a small overpass-sized hill or two and my lungs really start to complain. I guess that means I'm working them, eh? My legs are nothing stellar, but right now they're ahead of my lungs.

I'd really like to find a suitable riding partner... i.e., someone in even worse shape than me but that may not be possible.

Tell you what - You keep it up and I'll keep it up, OK?
Old 08-03-11, 09:17 PM
Trying to stay upright.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[/QUOTE]Tell you what - You keep it up and I'll keep it up, OK? [/QUOTE]

If I were in Louisiana, I would not be going outside in the summer AT ALL.... Yes it gets discouraging. I can find a whole host of excuses not to get all fitted up and ready to go on a ten minute ride, but all in all, it is fun, and I am getting better as I go along. One day we will look back on this and laugh... :-) But if nothing else, WE got up off the couch and did something. My goals are modest. They should get bigger with time.
Old 08-03-11, 09:39 PM
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The interesting thing is that in the end result, weather conditions are not usually what keep me from a ride on the occasions I decide against one. Don't misunderstand... all things being equal, I'll opt for calm 65F air and 15% humidity anytime it's a choice , but more often than not time is actually the deciding factor - Not so much simply having the time to ride, per se (although that's it some times), but usually just not wanting to 'use up' X amount of my free time riding.

It's a bit difficult to describe, but I guess I cherish so much every free minute away from work that I tend to be jealous (for lack of a better word) of how I spend it, YKWIM? I enjoy the riding, but when I take, eg., a two-hour ride that includes an hour on each side of it for getting ready and wrap-up afterwards, that's four hours gone. Once I'm done, I always wonder what where the bulk of my morning/afternoon/evening went... It seems as if that's been lost time, to some degree.

Maybe as I continue to improve and the rides become less of a struggle I'll more and more see riding as a "quality use" of my time and not just something that creates a hole in my time off from work. Intellectually, I know riding is good for me, and I can see glimmers of improvement. However, once it's over and done with and I'm X hours closer to (going back to) work again, it's not as satsifying and just seems to be a time sink. But that perception always seems to go away before the next ride.

Probably didn't make much sense there, but like I said it's difficult to explain.
Old 08-04-11, 04:36 AM
Banned.

but when I take, eg., a two-hour ride that includes an hour on each side of it for getting ready and wrap-up afterwards, that's four hours gone.
WTF do you do for that hour before and that hour afterwards?

I can't imagine that much time and effort going into a ride preparation and debriefing - or whatever you do!! I am ready in about 5-8 minutes, even including kit when I use it.

Bibs on, jersey on, slip on the riding sandals, check and fill the water bottle(s), lift the bike off the rack, check the tire pressure - I only fill every 3 days unless I detect a leak, and then I have to fix it, but that hasn't happened much this year, 20 pumps into each tire if necessary, a quick safety check and I am off.

So, what is it that takes an hour? Each way?

(If I am not using "kit" I just jump on a bike with platforms and head out.)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-04-11 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-04-11, 05:28 AM
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTF do you do for that hour before and that hour afterwards?
Before -
  • Get dressed, get gear, etc.
  • Get the 70 lb. 3-bike rack out of the carport and put it on my wife's minivan (which means moving my car out of the carport so I can get to the stored rack; her minivan has a 2" receiver, my car doesn't)
  • Get the bike out of my storage building, air up, etc. and put it on the rack
  • Drive ~20 miles across town to where I ride
  • Unload the bike, etc.

Ride.

After -
  • Reload the bike on the rack
  • Drive ~20 miles across town back home
  • Unload the bike and re-store it
  • Remove the rack from the minivan and re-store in the carport
  • Put the car back in the carport
  • Shower

All told, that can eat up an hour both ways, more or less.

Sometimes I occasionally ride directly from my house, but I live in a small "non-connected" neighborhood that opens on a busy multilane highway which tends to have very trashy shoulders (glass, etc). As a result, I rarely ride directly from my house. I wish I could, but I'm a bit hesitant particularly after having an aquaintance killed on that very highway not far from where I live (while cycling) several years ago. As time goes on, I'll probably ride more "locally", but the other location is in every other respect vastly better*, so I usually drive there. My neighborhood itself is only 0.6 miles completely around it, so I'd have to ride round and round, over and over, which doesn't appeal to me.

* Considering my current "state of ability". Hopefully as that improves my choice of routes will open up.
Old 08-04-11, 05:49 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by lphilpot
Before -
  • Get dressed, get gear, etc.
  • Get the 70 lb. 3-bike rack out of the carport and put it on my wife's minivan (which means moving my car out of the carport so I can get to the stored rack; her minivan has a 2" receiver, my car doesn't)
  • Get the bike out of my storage building, air up, etc. and put it on the rack
  • Drive ~20 miles across town to where I ride
  • Unload the bike, etc.
Ride.

After -
  • Reload the bike on the rack
  • Drive ~20 miles across town back home
  • Unload the bike and re-store it
  • Remove the rack from the minivan and re-store in the carport
  • Put the car back in the carport
  • Shower
All told, that can eat up an hour both ways, more or less.

Sometimes I occasionally ride directly from my house, but I live in a small "non-connected" neighborhood that opens on a busy multilane highway which tends to have very trashy shoulders (glass, etc). As a result, I rarely ride directly from my house. I wish I could, but I'm a bit hesitant particularly after having an aquaintance killed on that very highway not far from where I live (while cycling) several years ago. As time goes on, I'll probably ride more "locally", but the other location is in every other respect vastly better*, so I usually drive there. My neighborhood itself is only 0.6 miles completely around it, so I'd have to ride round and round, over and over, which doesn't appeal to me.

* Considering my current "state of ability". Hopefully as that improves my choice of routes will open up.
OK

I guess you answered my question. 20 miles to find a place to ride?

BTW, I put my bikes directly in the back of my minivan - if I am driving the bike somewhere. No hitch required. I also put my bike (either mtn bike or road bike), front wheel removed, in the back seat of my Neon.

Thanks for responding.
Old 08-04-11, 06:24 AM
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 miles to find a place to ride?
Well, now that I check the mileage it's about 17, I think, and I'm always on the lookout for something closer but so far that's it.

I used to put the bike in the back of my truck, but when I traded it for a Honda Accord, that took care of that. The minivan (Oddysey) can hold my bike, but it's a very tight fit. I'm 6'2" and currently have a bike with upright geometry (and correspondingly high saddle/handlebars), so even then I have to fold down/remove seats, etc. to get it in there. All in all, the rack is just about, although it is more work.

I got the receiver and three-bike rack so that me, my wife and daughter could all carry our bikes on trips, etc. So far that's not happened too much, but I'm hoping. I've looked a couple of times for a trunk rack for the Accord, but so far haven't found anything that I was confident wouldn't scratch it over time. Maybe as the car ages I'll relax my requirements.
Old 08-04-11, 07:30 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Y'all need to take a road trip to PA. I'll take you on an all day ride that will amaze you.

Old 08-04-11, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
These posts make me realize how lucky I am to: (1) Be retired; (2) Get bike out of shed in 2 minutes; (3) Ride out directly from my home onto shaded roads that lead past the ocean with cooling breezes; (4) Come home and take a shower in 5 minutes; (6) plop down in a soft chair on our porch with a root beer float and doze off for 30 minutes.
Old 08-04-11, 07:30 PM
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The multilane highway a few hundred feet from my door is definitely closer (and I ride its shoulder occasionally), but it does get a bit old riding almost within arm's length of speeding semi trucks, cross-country mobile homes and farm implements in addition to the cars and such.
Old 08-04-11, 07:41 PM
Trying to stay upright.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
These posts make me realize how lucky I am to: (1) Be retired; (2) Get bike out of shed in 2 minutes; (3) Ride out directly from my home onto shaded roads that lead past the ocean with cooling breezes; (4) Come home and take a shower in 5 minutes; (6) plop down in a soft chair on our porch with a root beer float and doze off for 30 minutes.
That sounds absolutely wonderful. I ride from my house, but with the big hills that I can't get over yet, I don't ride too far - a mile one way and half a mile the other, then repeat. I usually try each hill once; them I'm about done in. I can fit a hybrid bike in the back seat of a Toyota Corolla though, and I can take it somewhere that the roads are flat, which I did once, but felt like a total weanie doing it. Maybe I shouldn't have felt like that. Maybe I will start taking the bike somewhere that I can ride, and when I get stronger and can do the hills here, move back toward home. I will have to do some google-maps/topo searching....
thanks for the ideas.
Old 08-05-11, 01:32 PM
Trying to stay upright.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is the first day in about three weeks that it hasn't been near 100*F It is still plenty hot 80*F with 70% humidity. There is a ten mile, paved bike trail about 20 miles from me. I am going to go there and see how much of it I can do before the Friday rush hour starts.
Old 08-05-11, 01:52 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So do you have to subtract 720' from the length of every ride?
Yes, and I save those 720 feet up till the end of the year, and give them away as Christmas presents!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.