Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to be a snowbird on $1000/month?

I want to ride my bike in Jan and Feb next year. So for $2000 can I go south for two months? I'm not talking regular expenses. Just the additional expense of being a snowbird? It's just me. No wife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda depends on where and just how "rough" you want to live, I think. To do it in the metropolitan New Orleans area,where I live now, I wouldn't want to stay in the neighborhoods where apartments rent for $500-600/month - if you can find any available for short term renting.OTOH, if you lived north of Pensacola in a mobile home as I did while in the military, you might be able to limit your rent expenses to that range ---- can you live on $400/month for food, gas, electricity, water, etc? I used to be able to do that.. Unfortunately, I've gotten "soft" in my "older age".

And don't forget, even Florida gets cold enough to make the citrus fruit people cry and wail every year due to frosts.
    -----------------------------------------
    While others have labelled me antisocial at various times, it's actually not true. I just don't like people.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can!
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drmweaver2: Thanks for the reply. I'm talking about additional expenses. My thinking is that setting my Thermostat to 50 here in Central Illinois should cut my utilities and offset much of a southern bill. Food should be a wash as I don't eat out. I've never done something like this and really at loss as to how to go about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it kinda depends on the area you want to "make a nest in" then. Obviously, the closer to a major urban center, the more expensive in general. set up 30-45 miles outside New Orleans and go the mobile home route, for example, and you save a couple/few hundred a month on rent.

How to find where to stay/what's available and the price? I'd do a Yahoo/Google search for rental agents in the general geographic area you're considering. Obviously you'll get different results depending on area. Could also take a look at the online newspaper real estate/rental clssifieds for the area.

Remember that short term rentals are generally more expensive than long-term rentals.

Good luck.
    -----------------------------------------
    While others have labelled me antisocial at various times, it's actually not true. I just don't like people.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't suppose you own a travel trailer or motor-home. Florida is full of snow bird parks for the winter and in the area I'm at, it normally only gets cold a few days at a time. We had a nice winter this past year, as compared to the one before which set some record breaking lows and lasted longer than normal. If you have neither, and it's just you, some of the snow bird parks have cottages for rent, but off hand, I don't know which ones.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get a 26' travel trailer and I have a 2500HD GMC. Would just coming down in Jan and finding a Central Fl. RV park be a good idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro56 View Post
    I can get a 26' travel trailer and I have a 2500HD GMC. Would just coming down in Jan and finding a Central Fl. RV park be a good idea?
    Here is an idea. (If they still have this program?) Arizona State Parks have a program where you can park your RV/trailer for no charge in exchange for 20 hours of work per week. Also think this includes hookup utilities. Pretty sure the work is like staffing the entrance booth and not digging ditches. Met a retired guy from Canada who has done this for a number of years. He was driving a van for a birding festival when we met. With no daily fees your $1000 a month could go quite far. Check with the other states you are looking at to see if any of those kind of programs are available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just get some studded tires, ride next January and February, and pocket the $2,000?
    Personally, a winter without at least one good blizzard always leaves me bummed out.

Paul

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Inverness or Hernando Florida areas. The Withlacoochee Bike Trail runs thru both. The trail is awesome -- 46 miles long with only one major crossroad.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of places in central Florida where you can get a short-term rental for just a few hundred dollars a month. So long as you're inland, rents are pretty cheap. Heck, here in Titusville, now that everyone out at the space center is getting laid off, you might be able to find someone to pay you to stay in their house.

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't be a problem. Having ridden across the U.S. on the southern tier, I'd suggest So. CA, AZ or NM. The weather is much better than points east of NM. My wife and I spend about 6-9 weeks down in S. CA every winter at a county park in our travel trailer and do lots of cycling. It costs us about $2-3,000 for the entire trip, including gas, food, entertainment, etc., but we have our own RV. Might consider purchasing a small trailer (tent or otherwise).

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BLM in Arizona and California offers several long term camping areas with fees of $180 for up to 7 month stays. The areas are open from September 15 to April 15. As you might expect, services are pretty limited, but vendors offer tank pumping and food delivery. Your $1000 a month will go pretty far if you have a travel trailer or motor home to live out of. Here is one of them, there are several others.
    http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/rec.../imperial.html
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Average December and Jan temps in Yuma

44F - Low

68F - highs

http://www.desertusa.com/Cities/az/az_yuma.html

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try smaller towns in AZ sunbelt like Casa Grande (between Phoenix and Tucson).
    Or a bit north of Tucson like Catalina, Oracle Junction; or further south Green Valley, Nogales.
    Should be do-able.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To live on $1000/mo. is easy in SOME places in Fl. I live in N. Central Fl. & there are small motels that rent to Snowbirds. Also, as stated above RV parks are everywhere . Here is a link to volunteering in a Florida State Park, in exchange for a campsite. Be sure to pick the park which has activities & a location that you like . I love Manatee Springs , near Chiefland . It is BEAUTIFUL ! In Chiefland, you can buy anything you need & there is a nice paved " Rails to Trails " bike path.
    \ pm me if you have any questions about the area .

http://www.floridastateparks.org/get...andresidential

http://www.google.com/search?q=Manat...w=1059&bih=393
    Last edited by Esteban32696; 07-25-11 at 07:18 AM.