Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Loving my addiction - Kicked the Hills today!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/754558-loving-my-addiction-kicked-hills-today.html)

david58 07-24-11 09:55 PM

Loving my addiction - Kicked the Hills today!!

Wanted to take a longer ride today (30+) given the time I had, but it turned out to be a bit too warm to try the ride I had mapped (88 degrees, first time I think I've been on the bike on an 80+ day all year, but then we've only had a couple....). So, I decided to stay in town, and try all the hills in this hilly side of town.

Having had my butt handed to me last weekend by the final hills on a 72 miler (my longest ride ever), I was a bit apprehensive. But doggone it, I kicked every hill I tried, and then rode over them in the opposite directions to make sure I got em both ways. Took me an hour and forty to go only 19 miles, but I think I knocked off all the bullys that had my psyched out. Two months ago, I couldn't ride a single one of those hills - no, more like 6 weeks ago.

I am thoroughly re-addicted to riding after a 25 year hiatus. Have lost 20 pounds since mid-May, and am simply loving being on my bike. Already wanting to upgrade to a road bike (I have a cyclocross bike, insane enough to think I am going to try 'cross in October), and my wife is considering doing the same.

Wish I hadn't spent the last 25 years not cycling - but it sure is fun now. Next month, after a few more local hill workouts, going to hit a couple that "Map My Ride" calls Category 3 (1.5 miles at 6%+).

And, a nice thing about losing weight - I figger that I've saved thousands on a lightweight bike every time I lose 5 pounds. :D

Berta 07-24-11 11:48 PM

Wow, that's fantastic! I noticed I'm improving on hills, finally. I hoped for this and made sure to ride much more than I did last year, and it's paying off. I'm in a very hilly area and want to use my bike for more errands. Sounds like you're having a great time!

nutmegTN 07-25-11 02:59 AM

Fantastic, David58! :thumb:

I'm noticing the same improvement after 6 weeks too. It is thrilling to ride right up these hills that used to have me walking! Even a short ride with all the hills around here used to kill me, but now I can go anywhere I need to and get my errands done easily.

Yay, us! We're getting stronger every day. :)

bruce19 07-25-11 08:48 AM

That's a good story. Congrats. Keep on enjoying every ride.

NOS88 07-25-11 09:37 AM

David, don't beat yourself up over the last 25 years. Rather, focus on the next 25 years. Think about how many miles you'll ride and the places you'll go.

PatW 07-25-11 10:50 AM

Dave, glad to hear of your success on the hills. Now I just don't like to talk about "kicking hills". I don't think they really care. It am glad to hear that you have been able to successfully climb some of your local monsters.