Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving my addiction - Kicked the Hills today!!

Wanted to take a longer ride today (30+) given the time I had, but it turned out to be a bit too warm to try the ride I had mapped (88 degrees, first time I think I've been on the bike on an 80+ day all year, but then we've only had a couple....). So, I decided to stay in town, and try all the hills in this hilly side of town.

Having had my butt handed to me last weekend by the final hills on a 72 miler (my longest ride ever), I was a bit apprehensive. But doggone it, I kicked every hill I tried, and then rode over them in the opposite directions to make sure I got em both ways. Took me an hour and forty to go only 19 miles, but I think I knocked off all the bullys that had my psyched out. Two months ago, I couldn't ride a single one of those hills - no, more like 6 weeks ago.

I am thoroughly re-addicted to riding after a 25 year hiatus. Have lost 20 pounds since mid-May, and am simply loving being on my bike. Already wanting to upgrade to a road bike (I have a cyclocross bike, insane enough to think I am going to try 'cross in October), and my wife is considering doing the same.

Wish I hadn't spent the last 25 years not cycling - but it sure is fun now. Next month, after a few more local hill workouts, going to hit a couple that "Map My Ride" calls Category 3 (1.5 miles at 6%+).

And, a nice thing about losing weight - I figger that I've saved thousands on a lightweight bike every time I lose 5 pounds.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's fantastic! I noticed I'm improving on hills, finally. I hoped for this and made sure to ride much more than I did last year, and it's paying off. I'm in a very hilly area and want to use my bike for more errands. Sounds like you're having a great time!

My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic, David58!

I'm noticing the same improvement after 6 weeks too. It is thrilling to ride right up these hills that used to have me walking! Even a short ride with all the hills around here used to kill me, but now I can go anywhere I need to and get my errands done easily.

Yay, us! We're getting stronger every day.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good story. Congrats. Keep on enjoying every ride.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David, don't beat yourself up over the last 25 years. Rather, focus on the next 25 years. Think about how many miles you'll ride and the places you'll go.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave, glad to hear of your success on the hills. Now I just don't like to talk about "kicking hills". I don't think they really care. It am glad to hear that you have been able to successfully climb some of your local monsters.