Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should I fight the N+1 urge?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 07:54 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I sold three bikes earlier this year and have been using my all-purpose Cyclocross bike for... well... all-purposes. My CX bike is like a great old friend; in that it never lets me down and is a great combination of 100% versatile and 100% comfortable. Its only limitation is that it is not the kind of bike that anyone would use for keeping-up with the faster riders.

I have all the parts needed to build a race bike, but have been holding off on completing the project. No, I don’t race and I have no interest in racing, but I do ride with people who do race. Normally I don’t need an advanced performance bike, but when the pack is holding 23 mph and wants to accelerate up the next little incline, a heavy & flexy CX bikes feels... heavy & flexy.

I’ve been shying away from carbon fiber bikes. A good new one can cost an arm-and-a-leg and buying used CF seems risky. Not only could the used bike have hidden damage, an older CF bike lacks the refinement that comes with the latest CF models.

I may have found a race bike frame that will work. This is my check list;

Fit: I need a 59cm virtual top-tube length and a head-tube longer than 20cm.
Features: it needs to be stiff with a beefy BB area and an asymmetrical head-tube (upper 1-1/8" / lower 1-1/4") to stiffen up the front end.
Finish: I would like a paint-free finish
Affordable: Less than $600 for the frameset

I may have found what I’m looking for: https://pedalforce.com/online/product...ducts_id=20494

Should I fight N+1?

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-28-11 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-25-11, 08:28 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Why would anyone fight the urge to buy an affordable toy!
Old 07-25-11, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
If you do, I wouldn't fight very hard.
Old 07-25-11, 09:32 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope
Old 07-25-11, 10:06 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You're really asking us? Please post pictures of your new bike. Some during the build process would be nice.
Old 07-25-11, 10:12 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do not fight, surrender imediatly.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 07-25-11, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, resist for a while. If you can.
Old 07-25-11, 10:41 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Should I fight N+1?"
Sure, I like a good fight!
Old 07-25-11, 11:02 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You lost Kudos earlier in the year by selling 3 and not replacing so Don't ask us if you can buy a new bike.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-25-11, 01:11 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Pedal Force ZX3

My only input would be on the frame. The 2005 pedal force zx3 received very fine reviews as both frame and built-up bike. It's not clear how your chosen frame compares, but it's likely superior.

I have a house-brand carbon bike that was (either loosely or exactly) on the zx3 frame mold. I really like the way it rides. Certainly not flexy or heavy. The fork has a heavier steerer tube, not likely the case with your newer model.

My vote would be to pull the trigger and accept the inevitability of N+1.

Phil
Old 07-25-11, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
If you're going to build the bike, consider getting a CF frame directly from China. The merits pro and con as well as lot's of first hand experience and examples in the thread below:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=241785
Old 07-25-11, 01:57 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Looigi
If you're going to build the bike, consider getting a CF frame directly from China. The merits pro and con as well as lot's of first hand experience and examples in the thread below:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=241785
The thread has 107 pages! I contacted Deng Fu https://dengfubikes.com/ , A CF frame factory near Hong Kong. The frame is a little old school, so I'm not a buyer. The price was stunning;

"hello friend:

thanks for your inquiry.
445usd for FM028 60cm non-isp frameset with clear coating include frame and fork and seat post english BB;
80usd for shipping cost;
i can shipping right now if you confirm your order.
we accept paypal and TT payment, but you need pay for extra charge for paypal and bank.
if you have any question pls contact me.
best regards
tony"

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-26-11 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-25-11, 10:05 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resistance is futile !

Don't fight it. But remember ! Everything in moderation. Besides, I want to see how your build turns out.

Mind you, I should be one to talk.

Last year, ski equipment
This year, Winter: CF bike
Summer: sea kayak
Old 07-26-11, 06:25 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My only input would be on the frame. The 2005 pedal force zx3 received very fine reviews as both frame and built-up bike. It's not clear how your chosen frame compares, but it's likely superior.

I have a house-brand carbon bike that was (either loosely or exactly) on the zx3 frame mold. I really like the way it rides. Certainly not flexy or heavy. The fork has a heavier steerer tube, not likely the case with your newer model.

My vote would be to pull the trigger and accept the inevitability of N+1.

Phil
Hi Phil,

Yes, the reputation of Pedal Force is very good. People love the bikes and people are very happy with the customer service. I like building a bike from the frame-up. It allows me to use componients that work for me. If I was to purchased a new bike, I would change many items, including handlebars, seat, wheels, tires, crankshaft... the list goes on.

I'll start with a mixture of Sram parts, including the crank & cassette and Shimano parts, including the shifters & derailleurs. I'll have a frame that can be upgraded in the future.
Old 07-26-11, 06:50 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spanner in works:

If you want something that doesn't need painting, and were previously steering away from carbon, have you thought about titanium?
Old 07-26-11, 06:55 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Resistance is futile

I get a lot of compliments on my PF CX1... something about the all black look that many people like. Built up with some black wheels and spokes it is a very good look. As I recall the tracking of your order with PF is excellent too. I think I got notified when it was loaded on the plane in Shanghai. It was at my house in just over two days.

This isn't a road frame of course but I use the bike mostly like a road bike and am pretty happy with the ride characteristics and frame quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010835.jpg (49.6 KB, 15 views)
P1010837.jpg (40.7 KB, 19 views)
P1010836.jpg (51.9 KB, 18 views)
P1010834.jpg (47.5 KB, 20 views)
P1010832.jpg (47.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by billydonn; 07-26-11 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 06:59 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My worst nightmere is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about how "sensible" dad was. I feel an obligation to leave them a more interesting legacy than that.

Sorry, kids, the last check out of my checking account is going to the undertaker and it's going to bounce.
Old 07-26-11, 07:42 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Boudicca
Spanner in works:

If you want something that doesn't need painting, and were previously steering away from carbon, have you thought about titanium?
I had a Lynskey built ti road bike until this winter. A flexy fork & headtube plus a fit that was less than perfect, gave me reason to sell in April.

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-26-11 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 07:44 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by billydonn
I get a lot of compliments on my PF CX1... something about the all black look that many people like. Built up with some black wheels and spokes it is a very good look. As I recall the tracking of your order with PF is excellent too. I think I got notified when it was loaded on the plane in Shanghai. It was at my house in just over two days.

This isn't a road frame of course but I use the bike mostly like a road bike and am pretty happy with the ride characteristics and frame quality.
I like that frame, too. If I didn't already have a CX bike, the CX2 would be my first choice. I would build it as a road bike, as you did.

Michael
Old 07-26-11, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
When was the last time self denial worked out well for you? If you can't remember when, get the frame. bk
Old 08-05-11, 04:49 AM
Have bike, will travel

The Pedal Force group-buy will almost certainly go forward. I'll be receiving my frame in about 30 days.

I'm really excited to be building a lightweight fitness road bike with ample stiffness from the BB30 and the asymmetrical head-tube. The sport oriented geometry with the taller head-tube and moderate head-tube & seat-tube angles should allow enough comfort for century rides without being too relaxed.

The frameset will cost $550, including shipping. Pedal force will keep the group-buy open until the 7th, see: https://pedalforce.com/online/product...ducts_id=20494

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-05-11 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 05:20 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
When was the last time self denial worked out well for you? If you can't remember when, get the frame. bk
Old 08-05-11, 05:43 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by jethro56
J56,

Congrats on the weight loss! You should do this event, it starts at Coal City: https://bikepsychos.org/html/century_2011.html

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-05-11 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 05:57 AM

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I had a Lynskey built ti road bike until this winter. A flexy fork & headtube plus a fit that was less than perfect, gave me reason to sell in April.
Michael
I've been looking at Lynskey for a winter build and this is the first negative that I've heard about it. Could you expand on this a little? What model frame and fork was it? Did you have any positive impressions on it?

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 08-05-11, 07:23 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Brew1
I've been looking at Lynskey for a winter build and this is the first negative that I've heard about it. Could you expand on this a little? What model frame and fork was it? Did you have any positive impressions on it?

Thanks,

Bruce
Mine was a model that is no longer sold, I had a Lynskey made-for-private-label Planet X Sportive from 2008. The largest size was too small for me and the Alpha Q fork was too flexy for my 210 lbs. It might have been better with a stronger fork. I have a CF Ridley fork on my CX bike, this bike feels a little more stable on 40+ mph decents when the pavement is imperfect. I've hit 50+ mph a few times while riding near Blue Mounds, WI. The Planet X with the Alpha Q fork was less secure feeling than my CX bike at very high speeds.

Otherwise the bike was very nice with a sweet ride and a stiff rear triangle for climbing & sprinting.

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-05-11 at 07:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.