User Tag List

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pass the Advil please

Looks like adding a couple to your favorite recovery drink just might be the ticket.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The writer confuses aspirin with acetaminophen in one spot.
    I'd like to see another study confirm the results - they seem pretty dramatic.
    Not that I might not stock up on ibuprofen.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ibuprofen has been my friend for a long time. Pain in my ankle from arthritis and stiff and sore muscles like the effect.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

the Bayou City perpetually under construction
    My Bikes
    2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had to swear off the Ibuprofen because I found out it was a blood thickener and not a blood thinner.
    "If we don't change direction, we will end up exactly where we are headed."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vitamin I, as they say.

J.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it now and then, not very often. But when I need it, it's there in my seat bag. Here is an earlier discussion we had on the subject of Ibuprophen over at the 50+ forum:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...phen+my+friend
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

the Bayou City perpetually under construction
    My Bikes
    2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh...er hmmm wait until you're over 50 and then experiment on yourself with brand new over the counter pharmaceuticals. Such wisdom, I can hardly stand it. I'll just stick to the Gatorade.

Phys Ed: Does Ibuprofen Help or Hurt During Exercise?

Dan Saelinger/Getty Images
    Several years ago, David Nieman set out to study racers at the Western States Endurance Run, a 100-mile test of human stamina held annually in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. The race directors had asked Nieman, a well-regarded physiologist and director of the Human Performance Laboratory at the North Carolina Research Campus, to look at the stresses that the race places on the bodies of participants. Nieman and the race authorities had anticipated that the rigorous distance and altitude would affect runners’ immune systems and muscles, and they did. But one of Nieman’s other findings surprised everyone.

After looking at racers’ blood work, he determined that some of the ultramarathoners were supplying their own physiological stress, in tablet form. Those runners who’d popped over-the-counter ibuprofen pills before and during the race displayed significantly more inflammation and other markers of high immune system response afterward than the runners who hadn’t taken anti-inflammatories. The ibuprofen users also showed signs of mild kidney impairment and, both before and after the race, of low-level endotoxemia, a condition in which bacteria leak from the colon into the bloodstream.
    These findings were “disturbing,” Nieman says, especially since “this wasn’t a minority of the racers.” Seven out of ten of the runners were using ibuprofen before and, in most cases, at regular intervals throughout the race, he says. “There was widespread use and very little understanding of the consequences.”
    "If we don't change direction, we will end up exactly where we are headed."