Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should I just buy a new frame?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-11, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

My commuter is a Cannondale 800T with full fenders and rear rack. I've been riding it to work for about six years. A few months ago one of my sons borrowed it while my wife and I were away for a few days. He dumped it when he hit a set of railroad tracks at the wrong angle. He wasn't hurt, but for some bruises. The bike was left with two dents about the size of grapes along the top tube. It's probably structurally sound given where the dents are. At least my thinking is the top tube is one of the least stressed tubes. However, every time I get on the bike I see those dents and it annoys the daylights out of me until I get the commute underway. Then I forget about them until I arrive at work and have to lock up the bike. I see them again, and get annoyed all over. I hate having those dents there and I don't think there's any way to get them out. Additionally, the rear eyelet on the drive side is stripped and keeping the rack attached requires inserting a smaller bolt with a nut on the other side to tighten it down. Even after using a rotary tool to grind it down as far as possible it extend far enough that I can never shift unto the smallest rear cog. So, I have about $450 to $600 I could spend on a replacement frame. Should I? And if so, what should I be looking at? I know I'm asking this of a group that often gleefully embraces N+1, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
Old 07-29-11, 12:47 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Depends on the state of the components after 6 years. If they are good then new frame is on the cards. But don't forget the "Extras" that will be required- Seat post- bar stem-cables and new parts that will be needed after stripping off the old bike. Price it out and you may come near to a new bike in any case.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-29-11, 01:06 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It does sound to me like you would be happier replacing the frame. At that price level I would look at offerings from Surly, SOMA, Salsa, Civia etc. I'm sure there are others. Nashbar, Price Point and Performance also have frames that seem to be a good value and I see a lot of clearance sales going on lately. I think you would be looking at their touring or CX frames for compatibility with the components on your old bike.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 07-29-11 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-29-11, 01:08 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Depends on the state of the components after 6 years. If they are good then new frame is on the cards. But don't forget the "Extras" that will be required- Seat post- bar stem-cables and new parts that will be needed after stripping off the old bike. Price it out and you may come near to a new bike in any case.
Virtually everything on the current frame is new within two years. I would be swapping all the components from the C'dale 800T to a new frame and fork. At least that's what I'm thinking.
Old 07-29-11, 02:11 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
every time I get on the bike I see those dents and it annoys the daylights out of me until I get the commute underway. Then I forget about them until I arrive at work and have to lock up the bike. I see them again, and get annoyed all over. I hate having those dents there and I don't think there's any way to get them out.
Definitely!

Resentments and petty agrivations will eat you alive. It doesn't matter if anybody else thinks that it's important. Those dents are eating at you 3 or 4 times every day. You only have to spend the money for a new frame once.
Old 07-29-11, 03:07 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
If the T800 frame is big enough, you can recycle it by sending it to me! I don't know who makes a touring frame that light and stiff any more, until you get into custom frames over $2-3,000.
Old 07-29-11, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Definitely!

Resentments and petty agrivations will eat you alive. It doesn't matter if anybody else thinks that it's important. Those dents are eating at you 3 or 4 times every day. You only have to spend the money for a new frame once.
Gee, $450 to $600 is a lot of money for some psycho-therapy.

If the bike has some emotional attachment (and it obviously has), carefully fill the dents with some bog, sand back lightly, then wrap some tape (possibly some fancy stuff from an auto pinstriping joint) around the top tube. Fixed that problem. You might not even to fill the dents if they are shallow.

Then get a tap and bolt at the next largest size (possibly M5) from a shop and rethread the eyelet to the next largest size. Redrill the hole if need be on the rack to the new size, and you're set to go again.

I figure less than 50 bucks should have the bike back in shape, and in six months' time, you won't even think about consequences of the incident your son had.
Old 07-29-11, 05:29 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My commuter is a Cannondale 800T with full fenders and rear rack. I've been riding it to work for about six years. A few months ago one of my sons borrowed it while my wife and I were away for a few days. He dumped it when he hit a set of railroad tracks at the wrong angle. He wasn't hurt, but for some bruises. The bike was left with two dents about the size of grapes along the top tube. It's probably structurally sound given where the dents are. At least my thinking is the top tube is one of the least stressed tubes. However, every time I get on the bike I see those dents and it annoys the daylights out of me until I get the commute underway. Then I forget about them until I arrive at work and have to lock up the bike. I see them again, and get annoyed all over. I hate having those dents there and I don't think there's any way to get them out. Additionally, the rear eyelet on the drive side is stripped and keeping the rack attached requires inserting a smaller bolt with a nut on the other side to tighten it down. Even after using a rotary tool to grind it down as far as possible it extend far enough that I can never shift unto the smallest rear cog. So, I have about $450 to $600 I could spend on a replacement frame. Should I? And if so, what should I be looking at? I know I'm asking this of a group that often gleefully embraces N+1, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
Go to a marina, ask what they use to fill dents in AL boats, get a small can of the stuff, fill in your dents, sand smooth, prime and paint, that's one problem fixed, now go to a tool rental place and rent a set of taps, find the tap for your threads and run it through, that may fix it, if not go one size larger, get the appropriate size bolt (buy two) and put it in, make sure it's the same length as the original bolt, which is on the other side. At this point to save aggravation, tap out the other side to the larger size as well, if the hole in the rack will not accommodate the larger bolt, drill it out to fit.

Better idea, make the son who dumped your bike go and get the stuff to fill in the dents and the paint and sand paper, and make him do the work of fixing it. Heck I don't know about anyone else, but if I would have damaged my dad's bike, I would have been offering to at least help fix it.
Old 07-29-11, 05:34 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Go to a marina, ask what they use to fill dents in AL boats, get a small can of the stuff, fill in your dents, sand smooth, prime and paint, that's one problem fixed, now go to a tool rental place and rent a set of taps, find the tap for your threads and run it through, that may fix it, if not go one size larger, get the appropriate size bolt (buy two) and put it in, make sure it's the same length as the original bolt, which is on the other side. At this point to save aggravation, tap out the other side to the larger size as well, if the hole in the rack will not accommodate the larger bolt, drill it out to fit.

Better idea, make the son who dumped your bike go and get the stuff to fill in the dents and the paint and sand paper, and make him do the work of fixing it. Heck I don't know about anyone else, but if I would have damaged my dad's bike, I would have been offering to at least help fix it.
He did offer, but we worked a different deal. He's a glass blower and he's making me a set of four custom beer glasses.
Old 07-29-11, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
He did offer, but we worked a different deal. He's a glass blower and he's making me a set of four custom beer glasses.
Accidents happen. He didn't take a hammer to your bike. I would right it off as marks of character and be happy it wasn't you. Enjoy the glasses and your bike and save to buy a new frame for the right reasons.

Just my thoughts..
Old 07-29-11, 06:52 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I would consider replacing it. Putting nearly new componients on a new frame sounds very reasonable. The bike should last 10,000 miles or more.
Old 07-29-11, 07:26 PM
train safe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought a scattante frame with carbon fork from Performance a couple of years ago on sale for $150... put the stuff off a 10 year old Raleigh (ultegra 9) on it. The bike rides great! (aluminum like the Cannondale). there are good deals out there- best of luck-

train safe-
Old 07-29-11, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a very nice extra Lemond Poprad frame. I bought it for the fork that was on it and just never did get around to selling it. I have the same frame on my commuter. Mine is a 55 and the extra one is a 57cm. If you are interested I can send you some pictures of it.
I am not really pushing my frame, I thought the idea of a little bondo covered with tape was a good one.
Old 07-29-11, 08:07 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I just don't see any hope for your current frame. And your budget, look at this titanium bike as a long term investment

Old 07-29-11, 08:18 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
I just don't see any hope for your current frame. And your budget, look at this titanium bike as a long term investment

If I were going that route I'd go Indy Fab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Super_Commuter_442x347.jpg (25.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by NOS88; 07-29-11 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-29-11, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know Moots is famous for great bikes but that one just doesn't look right. The frame looks like it needs big wide cruiser bars, and a seat with springs, but it has a racy looking saddle, and those straight bars. Frugly if you ask me. I do like the brakes. and having a Lite Speed I am a fan of titanium.
Old 07-30-11, 08:28 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Buying a new frame can be very economical. Considering that a nice paint job can cost $200 to $400, a new frame can look like a bargain.

The Nashbar touring frame gets great reviews: https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...LAID=858051287

As mentioned before Soma, Surly, Salsa and others make very nice frames.

You could even put together a Carbon Fiber CX/commuter at your price point: https://pedalforce.com/online/product...ducts_id=20501

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-30-11 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at the story & the memoris, ride it & enjoy. If you want a new bike? Buy one, you will probably spend about the same. Then loan your son the dented bike, ha ha.
Old 07-30-11, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
You are looking for a reason/excuse to get another bike . . .
So get one.
Old 07-30-11, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For that price, you could go with a new steel frame. Here is my Soma Double Cross (without fenders):
Old 08-02-11, 10:16 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the input folks. Dawg: I really liked the Civia line up on their site. I wasn't familiar with them before.

I think what I've decided to do is have the rear eyelet tapped and mount my morph pump along the top tube. It will cover about 95% of the dents; so, I won't be as aware of them. This decison was made easier by the news that my wife may be laid off in September. And, so it goes.