Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Way, way, way off topic (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/756791-way-way-way-off-topic.html)

RonH 08-02-11 07:52 AM

Way, way, way off topic

We finally did it. We cut the cable yesterday. Got tired of paying nearly $100 a month for service when we watched maybe one or two cable programs per night average - and many of those were on PBS - which is free. When nothing was on, which was quite often, we'd watch a Netflix movie (DVD or instant).

Went to antennaweb.org to get the info on an antenna, direction to aim it, available channels, etc. The new indoor/outdoor antenna (which I put in the attic) and RG-6 cable to connect it to the TV cost less than what we'd pay for a month of cable service and we get over 40 channels. Some are Spanish language, or shopping, or kids channels but free is free. :thumb:

To make this sort of bicycle related I'll say that at least we get Universal Sports so I can watch the Giro, Vuelta, and other bike races, some delayed, some live. I guess I'll have to look into Versus, CyclingTV, or some other online streaming service to watch the TdF live next July.

Retro Grouch 08-02-11 08:03 AM

My daughter is all Netflix too. We visited them for a few days last month. After we returned, I had a day long orgy of watching Tivo'd TdF reruns.

$1,200 per year = a pretty nice +1.

rydabent 08-02-11 08:12 AM

Sure wish some of us in the smaller TV market area had something like that. Cycling on TV amazing. After the 84 Olympics there were quite a few cycling events on, but very little now.

Rick@OCRR 08-02-11 09:48 AM

We don't use our TV for anything except playing DVD's. Works for us (my wife and I), but may not be good for everyone.

Rick / OCRR

stapfam 08-02-11 10:41 AM

Still using satelite and as the UK is going Digital completely within the next few years- For some of the areas of the UK- this is the only way we can go. Cost us about $40 per month and that includes HD transmissions aswell.

But right now have the tour of Poland on the box. Don't get jealous because it is all the lower riders from the teams and a few National Polish teams that no-one has ever heard of.

EDIT
The first 3 stages have been won by the same rider in sprint finishes He rides for Skil Shimano and his name is Marcel Kittel. Compared to the rest he reminds me of Griepel in appearance and he is fast. May be a name for the future- or perhaps he is just fast up against the rest.

guybierhaus 08-02-11 11:29 AM

Well I'm a TV junkie. Like the CSI and Law and Order series, Fringe, This Old House, to name a few. At the new house I have a bit of a mountain between me and the Philadelphia antennae farm. Just can't seem to get many stations. So I signed up for cable; however, I went with the basic service, $13 a month. Deleted well over half the stations, just repeats. Despite the list I downloaded that shows Universal Sports as a channel, I don't have it. So antennae will stay, turned for reception of that station, as I too like to watch the Giro and Vuelta. Other shows I get thru the computer at Hulu.com.

freedomrider1 08-02-11 12:23 PM

Nice, now go all the way and have no T.V. We have been without t.v. for over 2 years and love it, I did purchase the tour online.That was cool.

on the path 08-02-11 01:41 PM

I'm connected via radio and the interweb. Haven't turned the tv on in months. I hardly miss it...

XR2 08-02-11 02:51 PM

I watch TV but at 52 years old have never owned one. I do spend too much time online sometimes.

Pamestique 08-02-11 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 13022069)
To make this sort of bicycle related I'll say that at least we get Universal Sports so I can watch the Giro, Vuelta, and other bike races, some delayed, some live. I guess I'll have to look into Versus, CyclingTV, or some other online streaming service to watch the TdF live next July.

My best friend did exactly what you did... so to fill in the missing Tour de France, he comes to my house and watches it on Versus. All you need to do is make friends with other cyclist who have cable and then figure out a way to invite yourself over!

freedomrider1 08-02-11 04:35 PM

Thats what i have to do if i want to watch Notre Dame football, hahaha.I have to bring the beer.

bykemike 08-02-11 07:20 PM

I have been disconnected from cable/antenna TV for 12 years now. Only Netflix through the mail and internet via aircard.

Don't miss the TV at all but love the netflix for the HBO series and such, kinda into BBC stuff right now.

RonH 08-02-11 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by freedomrider1 (Post 13023449)
Nice, now go all the way and have no T.V.

Can't do that. We enjoy many of the Brit shows too much - Judge John Deed, Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, Poirot, George Gently, A Touch of Frost, Bob & Rose, Miss Marple, Jonathan Creek, Inspector Lynley, Blue Murder, Wallander, and many, many more. They're all on Netflix. :) :beer:

freedomrider1 08-03-11 12:34 PM

Oh,ok i will have to see if i can check out a few of those online.I never heard of any of those.I have heard of Monty and Are you being served,and a few others.We did like the Red Green show.

Jim from Boston 08-03-11 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by guybierhaus (Post 13023185)
Well I'm a TV junkie...

The Motto of the Couch Potato Lodge is "Art imitiates Life, but Life imitates Television."

dahut 08-03-11 05:38 PM

I enjoy the TV and so does my wife. I can pay the bill, now, but when my job plays out in January, we may be going to free air TV.

DnvrFox 08-03-11 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by dahut (Post 13030585)
I enjoy the TV and so does my wife. I can pay the bill, now, but when my job plays out in January, we may be going to free air TV.

I would love to de satellite, but there is a ridge between me and the TV mountain antennas. I only get a couple of on-the-air channels.

trackhub 08-03-11 07:03 PM

I'm sticking with Netflix, despite the price increase. Love the idea that certain made-for-cable shows are available, either via streaming, or DVDs.

Lately, I've been watching "The Walking Dead". :eek:

ItsJustAHill 08-03-11 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 13022620)
We don't use our TV for anything except playing DVD's. Works for us (my wife and I), but may not be good for everyone.

Rick / OCRR

That would also be my approach. :)

Jazziered 08-04-11 12:10 AM

Cable

I dumped my cable TV about a year ago. It was the best thing I ever did. I have a digital converter box, on my little TV, but the TV can go days without being on. I have my computer and I have netflix, I get Hulu for free, and I watch shows on CBS.com and ABC.com when it is convenient for me.
I love Dr. Who from the BBC. It's my favorite.

I also loved Take a Seat on Universal Sports. But I tend not to watch sports programs.

kevin_stevens 08-04-11 02:07 AM

For a one-time $99, the price of a month's cable bill, the Apple TV makes a really nice interface to Netflix, MLB.com, and NBA League Pass (if they were playing). If I could get Sunday Ticket on it for NFL I'd be a happy camper (DirectTV has an exclusive contract). It allows web browsing, YouTube, local computer streaming, and iTunes purchases as well. I turned my cable box in a couple of months ago.

KeS

RonH 08-04-11 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by trackhub (Post 13030983)
I'm sticking with Netflix, despite the price increase.

Same here. I'll pay a few dollars more for something I watch every day. Not like cable where they take away a few channels and then jack up the price $14.95 and tell you you're getting more to choose from. :fight:

For those of you who don't have or know about Netflix and the other streaming services, you can get dozens of "channels" with a Roku box. Go to roku.com for the details.

bigbadwullf 08-04-11 08:46 AM

$100 a month for cable(like 240 channels. 40 of which are HD, including Versus), internet and telephone. I'm sticking right where I am :)

bykemike 08-04-11 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 13025520)
Can't do that. We enjoy many of the Brit shows too much - Judge John Deed, Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, Poirot, George Gently, A Touch of Frost, Bob & Rose, Miss Marple, Jonathan Creek, Inspector Lynley, Blue Murder, Wallander, and many, many more. They're all on Netflix. :) :beer:

+1 on Doc Martin..have you tried Hamish McBeth?

duceditor 08-04-11 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 13022620)

Rick / OCRR

Same in my household. No cable. No Sat. No antenna. Instead we, for quite a few years, have bought DVDs, HD-DVDs and Blu Rays of the many (many!) films we like. Several thousand in fact. Most I buy 2nd hand. We watch what we want when we want. No ads either. :) And when I retire in not too many years the collection will be largely complete and the cost zilch.

-don