Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second Annual Disorganized Ride Across Florida

It's on. The Second Annual Disorganized Ride Across Florida, 11/13/11. 128 miles from the Gulf of Mexico at Crystal River to the Atlantic Ocean at New Smyrna Beach. A great way to end the cycling season. Bob/Fla is the top dog on this. No release forms, no organized SAG, no schwag bag, just some guys and gals doing the kind of ride you can tell your friends about. Who's with us?

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an "epic"adventure. If I was in FL I would surely be tempted. How many days will it take?

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "end the cycling season"?
    I'd think your's is just now starting.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

DEK
    My Bikes
    '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you guys. 128 miles is a weeks worth of riding for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEK - You're quite welcome to come and ride any part of it with us. Bob/Fla is in Pinellas and started this operation. Come along with us.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good ride. Have fun, be safe and take pictures along the way for those of us who won't be able to make it.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, I was wondering if you guys were going to try it this year. I am interested but I sort of wonder how I will get out to Crystal River. Also, what kind of speed do you all cruise at?

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatW View Post
    Bob, I was wondering if you guys were going to try it this year. I am interested but I sort of wonder how I will get out to Crystal River. Also, what kind of speed do you all cruise at?
    I too need to know what your pace is expected to be. I assume you've already mapped out your route. I'm riding from Orlando to New Smyrna in October and I've got a buddy who might be interested as well if we come we may talk another friend into sagging for us
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to last year's ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56771307. We start at Fort Island Park on the gulf west of Crystal River, and take SR 44 or CR 44A all the way across (with a little deviation through the city of Crystal River). Last year we averaged 17.3 mph, which was significantly faster than I thought we'd be. The ride is very flat, and the weather last year was superb. There were only three of us doing it last year; this year I'm hoping we get more folks so those who want to go faster can get a group together and those looking for a slower pace can work together (this is, after all, a disorganized ride). SAG is provided by your wife/husband,BF/GF/BFF/SO, and the ubiquitous Florida convenience store. We'll put together some suggested SAG spots, but everyone is free to organize their own, and as we get closer to the time we'll try to coordinate SAG drivers. My wife will be SAGging, as will Bob's wife, and they of course can carry coolers for other folks.
    Last edited by Kurt Erlenbach; 08-11-11 at 12:41 PM.

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a blast... have been staging a similar ride for what will be 5 years in September and every year we see more and more people coming and interest this year seems to be the best ever.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you ride back the next day?
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is another similar ride that I am doing in October or November, not sure. It's a three day ride that goes from Daytona Beach to Tarpon Springs and from what I am told, it is around 200 or so miles. My son-in-law's best friend and his wife do this every year and I was invited to join them for this years ride. Maybe you would be interested in that one? I don't have all the information on it just yet but was planning on posting for any Floridian (or anyone else) that want to come and ride.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    Here is a link to last year's ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56771307. We start at Fort Island Park on the gulf west of Crystal River, and take SR 44 or CR 44A all the way across (with a little deviation through the city of Crystal River). Last year we averaged 17.3 mph, which was significantly faster than I thought we'd be. The ride is very flat, and the weather last year was superb. There were only three of us doing it last year; this year I'm hoping we get more folks so those who want to go faster can get a group together and those looking for a slower pace can work together (this is, after all, a disorganized ride). SAG is provided by your wife/husband,BF/GF/BFF/SO, and the ubiquitous Florida convenience store. We'll put together some suggested SAG spots, but everyone is free to organize their own, and as we get closer to the time we'll try to coordinate SAG drivers. My wife will be SAGging, as will Bob's wife, and they of course can carry coolers for other folks.
    Looks like fun but our pace would be closer to 15.3 than 17.3 for that distance. Keep us posted as the group grows. I'll talk to my riding buddy
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedC View Post
    Looks like fun but our pace would be closer to 15.3 than 17.3 for that distance. Keep us posted as the group grows. I'll talk to my riding buddy
    Remember about the HILLS in Florida? Bit different to a Hilly metric elsewhere and about as tiring.

But sounds a blast.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.... assuming I'm relocated by then, I'd love to tag along - if you don't mind a young buck tagging along, that is.
    "Obstacles don't like me very much. I make them look bad."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone and everyone is welcome. Fast, slow, part of the ride, all of the ride - it's up to you. That what makes it a "disorganized" ride. The only organization of it will be that we should all be at Fort Island Park at 6:30 a.m. (right about sunrise) so we can all straggle into New Smyrna before sunset. The days are getting a bit short by mid-November. And any of you northlanders who want a late fall challenge, this is it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    Do you ride back the next day?
    Last year I had a full day of court the next day, and had to sit all day long. My legs were not happy that day. And the folks who appeared in front of me were not so happy either.

My Bikes
    2011 Spec Sirrus Elite Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope to join in this year. Thanks for the planning.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like just the type of ride I'd enjoy. It looks like I'm supposed to be in Arizona that weekend so let me see what my schedule looks like a little closer to the "event". If I don't wind up going to Az I'd love to tag along with you guys.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Averaging 17 for that distance is pretty good. I can pull long stretches at that pace (assuming that you were cruising about 19 or a tad faster). The only thing is getting over there. I could probably get a ride back from New Smyrna easily enough. I know most of the roads from Inverness east. I kind of wonder about riding through Leesburg but maybe there is no way around it. The major thing is just getting way over to the west coast but maybe I can get my sweetee to do that. Of course, that might be hard because there is a chance that she will want to do it too!

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kerlenbach, I'll have to see when I'm off to Georgia, but as I'm taking a bike anyways...

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatW View Post
    Averaging 17 for that distance is pretty good. I can pull long stretches at that pace (assuming that you were cruising about 19 or a tad faster). The only thing is getting over there. I could probably get a ride back from New Smyrna easily enough. I know most of the roads from Inverness east. I kind of wonder about riding through Leesburg but maybe there is no way around it. The major thing is just getting way over to the west coast but maybe I can get my sweetee to do that. Of course, that might be hard because there is a chance that she will want to do it too!
    Getting through Leesburg actually was easier than I expected. Riding through there Sunday morning was not bad at all. So long as we get through before the churches let out, and stay away from the ******* Barrel, we're great. Getting off SR 44 and onto CR 44A east of Leesburg misses traffic in Eustis, and I think this route is about as good as it gets. 44 east of Deland is a four lane divided road with mostly new pavement and a great shoulder. I look forward to riding with you Pat.