Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-10-11, 08:55 PM   #1
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Second Annual Disorganized Ride Across Florida

It's on. The Second Annual Disorganized Ride Across Florida, 11/13/11. 128 miles from the Gulf of Mexico at Crystal River to the Atlantic Ocean at New Smyrna Beach. A great way to end the cycling season. Bob/Fla is the top dog on this. No release forms, no organized SAG, no schwag bag, just some guys and gals doing the kind of ride you can tell your friends about. Who's with us?
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 06:45 AM   #2
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Sounds like an "epic"adventure. If I was in FL I would surely be tempted. How many days will it take?
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 08:02 AM   #3
bigbadwullf

Bikes:
"end the cycling season"?
I'd think your's is just now starting.
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 08:20 AM   #4
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
Good for you guys. 128 miles is a weeks worth of riding for me.
DEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 09:57 AM   #5
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
DEK - You're quite welcome to come and ride any part of it with us. Bob/Fla is in Pinellas and started this operation. Come along with us.
Old 08-11-11, 10:00 AM   #6
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like a good ride. Have fun, be safe and take pictures along the way for those of us who won't be able to make it.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 11:16 AM   #7
PatW

Bikes:
Bob, I was wondering if you guys were going to try it this year. I am interested but I sort of wonder how I will get out to Crystal River. Also, what kind of speed do you all cruise at?
PatW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 11:26 AM   #8
RedC 

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatW View Post
Bob, I was wondering if you guys were going to try it this year. I am interested but I sort of wonder how I will get out to Crystal River. Also, what kind of speed do you all cruise at?
I too need to know what your pace is expected to be. I assume you've already mapped out your route. I'm riding from Orlando to New Smyrna in October and I've got a buddy who might be interested as well if we come we may talk another friend into sagging for us

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix
RedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 12:38 PM   #9
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
Here is a link to last year's ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56771307. We start at Fort Island Park on the gulf west of Crystal River, and take SR 44 or CR 44A all the way across (with a little deviation through the city of Crystal River). Last year we averaged 17.3 mph, which was significantly faster than I thought we'd be. The ride is very flat, and the weather last year was superb. There were only three of us doing it last year; this year I'm hoping we get more folks so those who want to go faster can get a group together and those looking for a slower pace can work together (this is, after all, a disorganized ride). SAG is provided by your wife/husband,BF/GF/BFF/SO, and the ubiquitous Florida convenience store. We'll put together some suggested SAG spots, but everyone is free to organize their own, and as we get closer to the time we'll try to coordinate SAG drivers. My wife will be SAGging, as will Bob's wife, and they of course can carry coolers for other folks.

Last edited by Kurt Erlenbach; 08-11-11 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 12:42 PM   #10
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sounds like a blast... have been staging a similar ride for what will be 5 years in September and every year we see more and more people coming and interest this year seems to be the best ever.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 12:58 PM   #11
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Do you ride back the next day?
Old 08-11-11, 01:49 PM   #12
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
There is another similar ride that I am doing in October or November, not sure. It's a three day ride that goes from Daytona Beach to Tarpon Springs and from what I am told, it is around 200 or so miles. My son-in-law's best friend and his wife do this every year and I was invited to join them for this years ride. Maybe you would be interested in that one? I don't have all the information on it just yet but was planning on posting for any Floridian (or anyone else) that want to come and ride.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 01:51 PM   #13
RedC 

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
Here is a link to last year's ride: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56771307. We start at Fort Island Park on the gulf west of Crystal River, and take SR 44 or CR 44A all the way across (with a little deviation through the city of Crystal River). Last year we averaged 17.3 mph, which was significantly faster than I thought we'd be. The ride is very flat, and the weather last year was superb. There were only three of us doing it last year; this year I'm hoping we get more folks so those who want to go faster can get a group together and those looking for a slower pace can work together (this is, after all, a disorganized ride). SAG is provided by your wife/husband,BF/GF/BFF/SO, and the ubiquitous Florida convenience store. We'll put together some suggested SAG spots, but everyone is free to organize their own, and as we get closer to the time we'll try to coordinate SAG drivers. My wife will be SAGging, as will Bob's wife, and they of course can carry coolers for other folks.
Looks like fun but our pace would be closer to 15.3 than 17.3 for that distance. Keep us posted as the group grows. I'll talk to my riding buddy

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix
RedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 01:56 PM   #14
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedC View Post
Looks like fun but our pace would be closer to 15.3 than 17.3 for that distance. Keep us posted as the group grows. I'll talk to my riding buddy
Remember about the HILLS in Florida? Bit different to a Hilly metric elsewhere and about as tiring.

But sounds a blast.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 02:53 PM   #15
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition
Hmmm.... assuming I'm relocated by then, I'd love to tag along - if you don't mind a young buck tagging along, that is.
Old 08-11-11, 03:21 PM   #16
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
Anyone and everyone is welcome. Fast, slow, part of the ride, all of the ride - it's up to you. That what makes it a "disorganized" ride. The only organization of it will be that we should all be at Fort Island Park at 6:30 a.m. (right about sunrise) so we can all straggle into New Smyrna before sunset. The days are getting a bit short by mid-November. And any of you northlanders who want a late fall challenge, this is it.
Old 08-11-11, 03:25 PM   #17
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
Do you ride back the next day?
Last year I had a full day of court the next day, and had to sit all day long. My legs were not happy that day. And the folks who appeared in front of me were not so happy either.
Old 08-11-11, 07:49 PM   #18
Roadshadowww

Bikes: 2011 Spec Sirrus Elite Disc
I hope to join in this year. Thanks for the planning.
Roadshadowww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 10:04 AM   #19
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Sounds like just the type of ride I'd enjoy. It looks like I'm supposed to be in Arizona that weekend so let me see what my schedule looks like a little closer to the "event". If I don't wind up going to Az I'd love to tag along with you guys.
Old 08-12-11, 10:52 AM   #20
PatW

Bikes:
Averaging 17 for that distance is pretty good. I can pull long stretches at that pace (assuming that you were cruising about 19 or a tad faster). The only thing is getting over there. I could probably get a ride back from New Smyrna easily enough. I know most of the roads from Inverness east. I kind of wonder about riding through Leesburg but maybe there is no way around it. The major thing is just getting way over to the west coast but maybe I can get my sweetee to do that. Of course, that might be hard because there is a chance that she will want to do it too!
PatW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 11:28 AM   #21
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Kerlenbach, I'll have to see when I'm off to Georgia, but as I'm taking a bike anyways...

Brad
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 07:02 PM   #22
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatW View Post
Averaging 17 for that distance is pretty good. I can pull long stretches at that pace (assuming that you were cruising about 19 or a tad faster). The only thing is getting over there. I could probably get a ride back from New Smyrna easily enough. I know most of the roads from Inverness east. I kind of wonder about riding through Leesburg but maybe there is no way around it. The major thing is just getting way over to the west coast but maybe I can get my sweetee to do that. Of course, that might be hard because there is a chance that she will want to do it too!
Getting through Leesburg actually was easier than I expected. Riding through there Sunday morning was not bad at all. So long as we get through before the churches let out, and stay away from the ******* Barrel, we're great. Getting off SR 44 and onto CR 44A east of Leesburg misses traffic in Eustis, and I think this route is about as good as it gets. 44 east of Deland is a four lane divided road with mostly new pavement and a great shoulder. I look forward to riding with you Pat.