Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Double tragedy and ICE

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Double tragedy and ICE

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 06:17 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Double tragedy and ICE

My wife's friend went bicycling with a group in Breckenridge, CO, and fell and broke her collarbone, other injuries, and a concussion which knocked her out.

Her cell phone had only her home phone and no other, and no ICE (In Case of Emergency) and, apparently, other information was not available to the group to contact someone besides her husband.

They called and called, and finally had the police go by. They found her husband dead (cause unknown to me).

Just a reminder to put those ICE numbers in your cell phone - I have 4 different ones.
Old 08-11-11, 06:33 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a tragedy, Denver.

I never thought about putting more than one ICE contact in my phone. I probably should have more than one but it's my daughter's cell phone and it's always with her.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-11-11, 06:52 PM
Banned.

The husband was 65yo.
Old 08-11-11, 06:53 PM
Holy crip he's a crapple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crazy, I always keep a contact labeled "emergency" in my phone with about 8 numbers in it...
Old 08-11-11, 07:06 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep a Ride ID bracelet with contact numbers on my bars. I don't like wearing it. I sometimes wonder if something does happen, will anyone find it there.
Old 08-11-11, 07:37 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Really bad outcome. I hope the lady did have other family/close friends.

My cell and dog tag on neck chain have ICE/wife. Suppose I should add ICE/son1 and ICE/son2.
Old 08-11-11, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that IS a double tragedy!
Old 08-11-11, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hikeandbike
I keep a Ride ID bracelet with contact numbers on my bars. I don't like wearing it. I sometimes wonder if something does happen, will anyone find it there.
Cease your wondering. In most cases the answer is: No.

Also, you might want to check your state law. In several states the law requires government issued picture ID to be presented to any law enforcement officer who asks. Also, hospitals now really want the same thing to protect themselves. So, the best answer is to get some type of ID holder, maybe like tourists wear, for your ID and maybe a couple 20's( the new singles).

Phone numbers in phones, dog tags, Road ID, etc may work for emergency notification and certainly can't hurt. But, officially in some states government issued picture ID is what is required.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 08-11-11 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 08:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are big blows for her to cope with. My empathy goes out to her.

I only have two people who care and both numbers are in my phone. I also wear dog tags at home, or picture ID when traveling.
Old 08-11-11, 08:51 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Cease your wondering. In most cases the answer is: No.

Also, you might want to check your state law. In several states the law requires government issued picture ID to be presented to any law enforcement officer who asks. Also, hospitals now really want the same thing to protect themselves. So, the best answer is to get some type of ID holder, maybe like tourists wear, for your ID and maybe a couple 20's( the new singles).
I have never heard of a cyclist being required to carry a photo ID. I wear my Road ID bracelet and only bring a photo ID when I'm riding through a local military base which requires it.

There was a thread in Road a while back about the effectiveness of ID bracelets and dog tags, and the paramedics and nurses said one of the first things they look for is a bracelet or necklace with medical allergies or ICE information. If your ID bracelet is on your bike, it won't make it with you to the hospital.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 08-11-11, 08:56 PM

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a double tragedy.

I always carry my cell phone (with an ICE #) when I ride, as well as my Road ID ankle bracelet, but I like your idea of carrying more than one ICE contact number.
Old 08-11-11, 08:59 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by kevin_stevens
And how, exactly, would this situation have been improved by ICE contacts?

KeS
Well, it would have been EXACTLY improved if they might have been able to contact a daughter or son to come to Breckenridge to help with their mother instead of spending the hospital and rescue crew's time and effort trying to locate someone. Also, sometimes it requires a relative's permission to make certain decisions. I have had to do that myself for both my sons and my mother in emergency situations.

Do you have something against having ICE information easily available? I really don't understand the purpose behind your question. Are you trolling?
Old 08-11-11, 09:02 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CbadRider
I have never heard of a cyclist being required to carry a photo ID. I wear my Road ID bracelet and only bring a photo ID when I'm riding through a local military base which requires it.

There was a thread in Road a while back about the effectiveness of ID bracelets and dog tags, and the paramedics and nurses said one of the first things they look for is a bracelet or necklace with medical allergies or ICE information. If your ID bracelet is on your bike, it won't make it with you to the hospital.

Actually it is not a case of just cyclists being required to carry picture ID. It is a case of everyone needing to. The requirement falls under what law enforcement should, or in some cases must, use for positive ID of someone they contact. I think in most, if not all states, if the LEO isn't happy with the ID he/she has the right to take you into custody pending positive ID. Of course officer judgement is involved. But why not make things as much on your side as you can.

At home there are two military installations and everyone is accustomed to dog tags so that is what I wear. Plus, it is a small town and they can run me pretty quickly so I often don't bother with picture ID. Where I am now, dog tags and picture ID, but not my drivers license; too many instances of them not being returned in a timely fashion, sometimes stranding a person with no ability to travel.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 08-11-11 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-12-11, 01:36 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have one of these.https://thejimi.com/wallet/demo.php In it I have a credit card, insurance card (a copy) a copy of my Driver's license, some cash and change, incase I need bus fare. I keep these items in the wallet and it's only used for cycling and kept in my jersey pocket.
Old 08-12-11, 02:52 PM
Banned.

From our friends at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_documents_in_the_United_States

Although most American adults carry their driver's license at all times when they are outside their homes, there is no legal requirement that they must be carrying their license when not operating a vehicle. However, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that states are permitted to require people to say their name when a police officer asks them. See Stop and Identify statutes. Furthermore, in some states, like California, failure to produce an identification document upon citation for any traffic infraction (such as riding a bicycle on the wrong side of a street) is sufficient justification for full custodial arrest.<SUP id=cite_ref-5 class=reference>[6

Seems to be a good idea to carry some sort of ID.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-12-11 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-12-11, 04:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This business of carrying adequate ID as specified by your State's laws is not a trifling matter. Certainly a person can go for years and not need to positively identify themselves. But, when that time comes everyone should understand that the police officer or other government or first responder not only needs to know with whom they are dealing, they have the legal right to demand positive ID. From personal experience I know people lie about the darndest things, including their identity, even when it isn't in their best interests to lie. After awhile some officials just assume most everyone is lying, sad, but that is the case.

On the other hand, personally, I think it is poor practice to use your drivers license as an ID document when riding a bike. It makes it too easy to get mired in erroneous actions against the license. Also, I'm aware of too many cases where after an incident or other contact the license was taken until the paperwork was complete and then the officer went off duty, or in one case on vacation, and you are stuck with no license with which to drive, rent a car, or any other of the many things a license is needed for.

My State issues both a Drivers License and, upon request, an ID card. There is a nominal charge for the youngsters and it is free for us elders. Use the ID card and leave the Drivers License at home. If your state doesn't issue both, I think some states even prohibit having both, then you need to get the law changed. In the meantime, check with the locals to see what works; concealed carry permint, passport, passport card, government building access pass, etc.
Old 08-12-11, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Trek multi-track 720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is correct; the first thing EMS personel look for is Med-alert id. It helps to know if the person is a drunk or a diabetic! Also while EMS is looking for any thing that will ID and or alert to medical issues; Law Enforcement
or Fire personel will be looking for ID on the bike (assuming it is in plan sight or you are wearing cycling gear. Most Emergency personel know that no all folks carry their ID on them in these situations. My Ice Numbers are in my Helmet packing taped in there; they may not find them at the scene but they will at the hospital when they remove my helmet. I also have the #'s in my phone.
Old 08-12-11, 05:45 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
This business of carrying adequate ID as specified by your State's laws is not a trifling matter.
Neither is trifling with our constitutional right to travel without being harassed. I believe that requiring documentation just to wander about is unconstitutional. Any LEO better have a solid reason for asking me for ID if I'm on my bicycle. Driving a car requires a license; riding a bike does not.
Old 08-12-11, 06:13 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That pesky Constitution keeps getting in the way of law enforcement people trying to do their jobs.

As for having ID with you when stopped, we now know the US Justice Department believes illegal aliens are exempt. Maybe you're legally far better off being an illegal, than being a US citizen.
Old 08-12-11, 06:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Neither is trifling with our constitutional right to travel without being harassed. I believe that requiring documentation just to wander about is unconstitutional. Any LEO better have a solid reason for asking me for ID if I'm on my bicycle. Driving a car requires a license; riding a bike does not.
My understanding is that is what the law requires; a probable cause. If you don't think the LEO has it you certainly have the freedom to challenge the officer's actions in a variety of ways.
Old 08-12-11, 06:40 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
My phone has ICE-bike, ICE-family, ICE-boss, ICE-neighbor, etc.

If I conk out on a group ride I hope somebody will call family (across the country) for medical permissions, call my bike buddy to get my bike home, and share the other ICE numbers so somebody will let my boss know I'll miss work, call the neighbor to feed my cat, etc.

I also have health insurance card/driver's license in the wallet I carry on rides.
Old 08-12-11, 06:56 PM

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Well, it would have been EXACTLY improved if they might have been able to contact a daughter or son to come to Breckenridge to help with their mother instead of spending the hospital and rescue crew's time and effort trying to locate someone. Also, sometimes it requires a relative's permission to make certain decisions. I have had to do that myself for both my sons and my mother in emergency situations.

Do you have something against having ICE information easily available? I really don't understand the purpose behind your question. Are you trolling?
Relax... I was actually wondering the same thing because from your description I couldn't figure out how that would have helped. I kept wondering "why didn't they just call 911??". We need more details about what happened.
Old 08-12-11, 07:30 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Relax... I was actually wondering the same thing because from your description I couldn't figure out how that would have helped. I kept wondering "why didn't they just call 911??". We need more details about what happened.
The point is that it is likely a good idea to

1. Have ICE on your cell phone (and elsewhere); and,

2. It is even better to have two or more ICEs around and available.

All the rest is window dressing.

Somehow I seem to have failed to communicate that, so, hopefully, the paragraph above is clear.
Old 08-12-11, 08:28 PM

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
DnvrFox, you're a silver-tongued devil or an old xyzinger or something like that. I put several ICE numbers in my phone as a result of this thread. I figure it can't hurt, and it may help.
Old 08-12-11, 10:00 PM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
...Also, sometimes it requires a relative's permission to make certain decisions. I have had to do that myself for both my sons and my mother in emergency situations....
I've always wondered what happens in such situations when people (me, for example) don't have any relatives. I had few to begin with, and the last of them died years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.