Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New record - 20 miles yesterday - 64 days after new hip

It doesn't sound like much, but to me it was a milestone. On day 64 (after hip replacement surgery), I completed 20 miles yesterday. Only 7mph average for speed, but I did enjoy myself.

I was hoping to do it again today, and my hip felt OK, but both knees are killing me, so I did nothing today (left knee replaced 11/09).

I am trying to tell myself to go repeat it tomorrow, but how I am feeling right now, I am not sure about tomorrow. I feel like if I don't ride tomorrow it means I rode too much yesterday, so then it doesn't have as much value - bleh. Before yesterday, my record was 13 miles. Guess we'll see what the morning brings?
    Peter_C
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/ <-- My Photos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep enjoying and don't overdo it. Good for you getting out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!

Don't rush it but keep going!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    64 days off and parts of your body will have gone downhill without you realising. You have to bring those up to strength aswell so do it slowly.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had mine done last November and now I'm riding pretty much pain free. Luckily for me is was winter so I was able to put the bike on a trainer and slowly get my range of motion back. Keep it up but remember to lay off if it starts bothering you too much.
    Which joint did you get? I got the Zimmer Mini Incision, titanium with plastic wear joints.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted matching parts, and since the knee is a 'Biomet', we went with Biomet for the hip. Seriously, what do I know, my Ortho chose the parts, since he was doing the work...

Like with the knee, there were bone issues, so another 9" scar - yay me

Well, so much for riding early today. Still creaky, trying to decide do I go creaky, or take yet another day off - yuck
    Peter_C

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do a few miles to loosen up, if you feel ok at that point, keep going, if not, rest. Listen to your body.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Mercier Galaxy as my daily commuter.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Peter. Slow and steady wins the race buddy. Follow Tim's advice above.
    Jay B
    2010 Merceir Galaxy/2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1/exercise.png

Trying to stay upright. Wreader's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads ~1996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool! I was on crutches for four months after my hip, but I was also very, very deconditioned before surgery. I say the sooner the better, as long as there is no pain the next day, but I would definitely ask the physical therapist if you are doing too much. Sounds like you have having a wonderful rehab. My main problem pre and post surgery has been abduction (leg away from the midline) and can't throw my leg over the bike, but it sure feels good to be riding once I get on the bike.
    Way to go!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wQK0fcq/]
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...q/exercise.png

"Just Like Riding a Bike"? Here we go!
    http://notjustlikeridingabike.blogspot.com/

DLF>DNF>DNS

....dead last finish is better than did not finish.... did not finish is better than did not start.....

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four months? Ouch I thought I was doing poorly, not getting of my cane til the 7th week.
    Peter_C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two new knees for me....

I understand how exciting it is to accomplish something. My doc says, if you hurt the next day you've overdone. My knees are 9 and 10 months old and I'm racing in our State Senior Games tomorrow. I have personal goals for me, to finish! My knees remind me when they've had enough, but my head says more. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgilityJunkie View Post
    I understand how exciting it is to accomplish something. My doc says, if you hurt the next day you've overdone. My knees are 9 and 10 months old and I'm racing in our State Senior Games tomorrow. I have personal goals for me, to finish! My knees remind me when they've had enough, but my head says more. Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Welcome and check out this thread which should be of great interest to you

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-racing-Thread
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work Peter! My wife and I celebrated her 28 mile ride a few weeks ago. She has two hip replacements of which one had undergone a complete reconstruction prior to the replacement. She is training for a 50K charity ride next month and I have all the confidence in the world that she is going to breeze through it. Keep up the good work but take it easy and don't over exert yourself. You are doing great!
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fantastic! Did your dr. okay the bike riding a month after your surgery?

It's been three weeks since I broke my rib and I'm getting antsy...

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - I learned years back to not do stuff before allowed.

I am actually done with "PT" now. And since the hip doesn't 'close' past 90 degrees on my trike, I was OK'ed to ride 3 weeks after surgery. Course, those first rides were only 1-3 miles at a time, but it helped to ride, as walking was so painful.
    Peter_C

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
    Four months? Ouch I thought I was doing poorly, not getting of my cane til the 7th week.
    Nine weeks on a walker, with "Touch weight only" orders for me... My femur cracked when the hip was being installed, plus I needed a bone graph. Six more weeks on a cane after that. Five years out from the surgery now, and I'm back on the cane again, but it's because the knee below the hip is now needing replaced. Looking back through the clarity of time, it was likely the knee that caused the hip problems in the first place. It's alright though, my Mixte has a couple of places to mount my cane when I go out for a ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

2 soon old, 2 late smart Bluetail's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Waterford ST-22, Bianchi Strada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks for the inspiration! My turn comes this Wednesday 8/17, when i get my new, store-bought hip (minimally invasive anterior approach, DK what 'brand'). i'm circling October 20 on the calendar as First Day Back On the Bike (Not On the Trainer in the Basement)! What helped you the most to get back in cycling shape?

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it was stair-work, and just getting around and starting to use the leg. While mine was not like what 'Bionicycle' went through, my knee replacement was sort of similar - I had been bone-on-bone for so many years, they had to do a 'rescission' when they put the new knee in.

The Ortho told my wife that the hip was a bit more than he expected (whatever that means) which is why my incision is as long as it is. Personally, since RoM (Range of Motion) was not an issue like it is for a knee, I *felt* like I was behind the curve - I still can not step up a stair with my right leg yet, and when I do something slightly weird like getting on the lawn-tractor I can really make my hip painful, granted, it is only 67 days today.
    Peter_C

Neil_B
    Congratulations Peter!

Trying to stay upright. Wreader's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads ~1996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    by the time I had my hip replaced, all of the cartilage and most of the bone was gone. I was completely unable to walk. I was on crutches during the day and on narcotics at night. After surgery, I was on crutches for the first couple of months, and on one crutch for another month or two, so not exactly "crutchES" maybe "crutch", and a lot of it was for balance, not really for support. After that I had a cane for a few weeks until I started forgetting it and decided that if I could forget it, I probably didn't need it. Anyway, I was very slow rehabbing from the total because I had lost most of the muscle surrounding the hip in the months before surgery because I was not able to use them. I had to rehab for a few months just to get back to zero, and then start improving. Lesson learned: if you need an operation, GET THE DANGED OPERATION! Denial does NOT fix hip arthritis, although I am counting on it for the other hip. (not!)
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wQK0fcq/]
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...q/exercise.png

"Just Like Riding a Bike"? Here we go!
    http://notjustlikeridingabike.blogspot.com/

DLF>DNF>DNS

....dead last finish is better than did not finish.... did not finish is better than did not start.....

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreader View Post
    by the time I had my hip replaced, all of the cartilage and most of the bone was gone. I was completely unable to walk. I was on crutches during the day and on narcotics at night. After surgery, I was on crutches for the first couple of months, and on one crutch for another month or two, so not exactly "crutchES" maybe "crutch", and a lot of it was for balance, not really for support. After that I had a cane for a few weeks until I started forgetting it and decided that if I could forget it, I probably didn't need it. Anyway, I was very slow rehabbing from the total because I had lost most of the muscle surrounding the hip in the months before surgery because I was not able to use them. I had to rehab for a few months just to get back to zero, and then start improving. Lesson learned: if you need an operation, GET THE DANGED OPERATION! Denial does NOT fix hip arthritis, although I am counting on it for the other hip. (not!)
    That sounds so like my left knee. They want you to be under 200lbs and over 55yrs before they replace it. I had had two major knee surgeries, and 5 'scope surgeries since 1979, and was bone-on-bone for 3-4yrs prior to the TKR, and 18 months in Pain MGNT - then they finally decided to do the knee, I had one unresponsive muscle group - took 2 months of muscle stim before it started working, since the TKR 11-09, I have had 3 shots below the knee (forget the name of the area) - needed due to use - it was so unused to being used that it complained rather badly for 7-8 months. Now, the left knee is the stronger/better knee.

I too agree, putting off replacement once the joint impacts your daily life badly is just not a good idea.
    Peter_C

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman