Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another Roadblock!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another Roadblock!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Roadblock!

After experiencing discomfort in my left groin/thigh area for a few weeks, I finally went to see my sports med/orthopedic doc. When sleeping on my most comfortable left side in a fetus position, I would wake up with so much discomfort in that same thigh. I'd limp for the first hour & it goes away. I also don't know if this is also connected to the bike fall I discussed in this forum last month. He says I have developed tendonitis. I really think its from the bike riding since I was riding with my right gear set improperly & pushing hard on the pedals especially during the slight inclines that I encountered. I told the doc that a couple of times after I finished riding, I began walking & all of a sudden my left leg would feel like it was disconnecting or reconnecting because that same leg would throw me off balance for a split second only.

He prescribed anti-inflammatory meds & physical therapy. (Just finished physical thereapy mid june for lower back pain. Ugh
He's also advised me to avoid inclines & stay on flat surfaces when I ride my back. I was also told by a long time acquaintance that I should avoid bike riding until i'm better. I'll see the physical therapist this week & will ask him.

So here I go again putting a pause on my new learned bike skills.
Old 08-15-11, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps you are pushing too hard, nothing wrong with a high cadence 12-14 mph ride and build from there.
Old 08-16-11, 11:02 AM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had my right hip replaced on 06-06-11, and I am still on small miles and slow speed. For me at least, it is taking a long while to make much progress. I did my first 20 mile ride last week, and it took me off my trike for 4 days.

Time, and baby steps, and listen to the PT DR!
Old 08-16-11, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could have FAI femoral impingement in the hip, often misdiagnosed by Doctors do a google on it.