Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie- to novice.

I always ride Sunday mornings and for the last couple of months it has been with a New rider in one of my Neighbours-Mick. I have gradually upped the ride values and last part of the training was going to be a few hilly bits. Didn't get it in last week and I woke up this morning feeling a bit bleugh. I did not even fancy getting on a bike let alone taking Mick out. But I would do a 20 miler and if Mick turned up- we would go together just to keep the legs turning. Got away a bit late but as we left home I told him it was an easy 20 miler. 2 miles later and I asked him how he felt. He said OK so suggested we do the hills instead.

Funny how no matter how I feel at the start- a few minutes on the bike and I can tackle anything.

So up to the start of the first hill and I kept him slow. Got him in granny and told him not to put too much effort in as this was the first hill he had tackled. Left him with a couple of lower gears he could use. I had to hold him back a few times but first rise was 800ft at an average of 8 to 10%. Gave him his head for a mile including the downhill and he recovered. Than a few rollers that I kept him behind me and the second rise came up. I told him to take his pace- just to see how he got on and he left me by about 20 yards. This was an old Coaching road where the steeps bits are short- all about 10 to 12% but in between the steep bits it levels off to flat. Caught him on the 2nd level bit and took the lead. He was puffing a bit here so time to slow him down. Got to the top and met another couple of riders taking a break. Mike was breathing hard and a bit of redness has come into his face. Next bit was a 40mph downhill so I told him to take it steady.

Out to Birling gap and the 2 mile torture road up to Beachy Head. It is only 2% initially but then turns to 3% and then 5. Then suddenly you are confronted with a short sharp rise of 10% on legs that are just getting tired. That stings a bit and I shot ahead to get a pic of Mick for his mates at work. They don't believe he rides a bike- let alone can do 40 miles on it.

Mick1.jpg Mick2.jpg Mick3.jpg

The 3 pics are on that 10% but this road is enjoyed by many cyclists that want to find a bit of speed- the easy way- as you can tell from the 3rd one.

Reckoned that that was enough climbing for one day so it was time for coffee and Pie on the Seafront and the trip home.

Mick had done 2,400ft of climbing- in 10 miles on a 30mile ride so I had better stop calling him a newbie and up his grade to Novice. When he reaches the next stage of a metric then He can start buying the coffee.-------and the Pie.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 For being a good mentor Stapfam!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Neil_B
    Everyone should have a friend like you.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I see the plot unfolding. Very clever to get the young'un to buy your coffee and pie.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is coming along very quickly, all due to good coaching, I'm sure.

One of the great joys of my bike club assignment to "get more people riding" is watching how quickly people progress as they get a few rides under their saddles. At the same time it can be frustrating as so many start out needing to get over the "I could never do that" hurdles before they realize how much they can do and how much they enjoy it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice that your taking time mentoring the new rider. Wish there were more people like you.

I just started riding in late May and it would be nice to have a mentor. Almost always, I just ride alone since there are no groups or people I know close by.

Good for you and good for Mick!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I have bought on several friends and Neighbours to road riding. Nathan was the first one and he is young- Fit and fast. Too young- fit and fast for me so it was a blessing that Mick started getting interested in riding just on 8 weeks ago. He bought My OCR for a sensible price and it is almost set up for him. Just got to get the saddle raised and the bars lowered and he will be fine. Nathan Went on E-bay and gained a superb Jamis Ventura for 260- about $400- and that is one superb bike.

But the "I could never do that" bit. Before Nathan got the Jamis he borrowed my TCR-C and it just about fitted him with the saddle and bars up high and the saddle way back on the rails. It also had a triple and he did a 65 miler on it that took in about 5,000 ft of climbing. Then he got the Jamis with a compact. When Mick told Nathan about last Sundays ride- Nathan said he could not do those hills. He could- but he has to get confidence in the compact crank- and learn to use the gears as he is a bit of a masher at present.

So next Sunday- Mick and I are doing a ride and Nathan will be invited without knowing where we are going. It will be a 40 miler and have two hills that Nathan does not even know about. One is called the "High and Over" so you can guess what that is like. Straight over the ridge with a 20% section for about 200 yards right at the start -then it evens out to a 10% for about 1 mile.The other is just one long drag that has a couple of sharp 15% sections in it and seems to go on and on and --------. Only a couple of miles but tiring.

I'll slow Nathan down somehow- Even if it kills him-Mick will be fine.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan