User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I met another BF member last night

I went to the MS City to Shore Ride Bike Expo in Philadelphia last night. There I had the pleasure to meet willb1046. He is a member of a riding group I intend to join. The group had a table set up, and I went there for information about the group. I asked for him, and he was there! Like many here can attest, it's really fun to meet other forum members!

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEK, my wife and I rode together this past Sunday. It was very nice meeting him and always good to put a face to the names on this forum. We are planning more rides together in the future.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had occasion to ride with some BF members, including 2 50+. In all cases, it has been enjoyable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I Have met you in person but did not get to ride with you I'm anxiously awaiting that chance.

Hebden Bridge, W. Yorks, UK (Brontė country)
    My Bikes
    Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the UK and most BF members live in the USA and I've not yet been there so it is unlikely that I've met any of you, but I have met about 80 members of the 2 more UK-based cycling forums that I also frequent (BikeRadar and CycleChat). Over the next 2 weeks I should be meeting 5 or 6 more on a couple of metric century rides that I've organised.

Yes, it is always good to meet people in real life that you'd previously only 'met' online. I can't recall meeting a forum member that I don't like, though I suppose it is bound to happen one day.
    Filippo Pozzato's NAKED SIDI bike shoes ad - WTF were they thinking!
    My Mk2 Crud Roadracer fenders review (do you actually LIKE that dirty wet stripe up your back?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    ...Like many here can attest, it's really fun to meet other forum members!
    Amen to that, Miss Kenton. I have met several BF subscribers in person, including Miss Kenton and Louis from this thread, at the Second and Third Annual Fifty-Plus Rides, and indeed that is the draw to drive hundreds of miles to an otherwise unknown venue to do a bike ride. These new acquaintances are then added to the list of subscribers I always read and enjoy when I encounter their posts.

There are a lot of BF subscribers here in the Boston area and whenever I encounter a "serious" looking cyclist on the road long enough to chat, I inquire if they are on BF. So far I have spontaneously met godshammgod, and I have ridden with mtalinm for a prearranged ride. I often also ask the staff at bike shops too.

Just last Saturday, I met a rider named Dave, and I told him I am an "evangelistic" cyclist. Before he could speed away, I said it was for a cycling website. I have mused about carrying some sort of business-type card I could hand out during these brief encounters, explaining BF and giving the website. Since I have to give the URL verbally for them to memorize if interested, I emphasize Bikeforums (plural) and .net. I typically ask them to send me a PM if they subscribe, and I introduce myself as Jim from Boston. The reply is usually like, "... and I'm Dave from Medfield." So far, no PM's though.

Addendum:

FYA, just after replying to this thread, I posted to this current apparent corollary thread on the Fifty-Plus Forum, "Posting under your real name":

Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    Jim from Boston, d'uh. Jim is my name and Boston is my venue, so it works well for me and is more informative than my real name....

,,,It just occurred to me that for almost all the BF members I have met in person, I still know most of them by their user name or their first name...
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-26-11 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Addendum

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jethro56 is the only forumite I've met in person. We had the chance to do a ride together earlier this year, and it was a lot of fun. We've been trying to find a time to do it again, so far without success.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Since I Have met you in person but did not get to ride with you I'm anxiously awaiting that chance.
    Nice, Louis! I look forward to that,too. I still lament having lost out on that opportunity at the Finger Lakes. Fortunately, we live within a reasonable distance from each other and will perhaps have that chance again at the next East Coast BF meet-up! Of course, next time, it will be me that secures the bikes to the trunk rack!

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the pleasure of meeting and sort of riding with Hermes and Red Rider. I'm sure I've been to organized rides where there were other BF members present, as well. I'm surprised there aren't more folks on BF in the group I belong to. That group has it's own One List on Yahoo and it's pretty active. I do wish, and I've told them, that some of the conversations were held on BF as well as the One List. Wider involvement is always stimulating!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have met, and ridden with, posters from other forums. That is always fun. AZTallRider and I belong to the same bike club here in Phoenix.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarals View Post
    I've had the pleasure of meeting and sort of riding with Hermes and Red Rider. I'm sure I've been to organized rides where there were other BF members present, as well. I'm surprised there aren't more folks on BF in the group I belong to. That group has it's own One List on Yahoo and it's pretty active. I do wish, and I've told them, that some of the conversations were held on BF as well as the One List. Wider involvement is always stimulating!
    Remember that c_gallagh and dauphin87 were also with us, although they don't frequently post here. (AKA Chris and John.)
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50+'rs jppe and wife, will dehne and wife, Beverly, John E., Yen and husband, billydonn, Artmo and wife, and a number from the Denver area (we had a local 50+ ride) and others. Always a pleasure.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-27-11 at 06:22 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone