Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting dog encounter today....

It was not what I expected.

As I was nearing the end of my ride today, I encountered two bull dogs, running towards me, in my lane. I slowed down but did not stop for them and as I got within 20 feet they stopped, turned around and ran ahead of me.

About that time, the (apparent) owner ran out into the road, frantically calling them. She was obviously trying to get them out of the road, but they ran past her! As I rode away I could hear her screeching cries. It was sad and comical at the same time.

I figure they were house dogs and rarely let outside. They must have escaped at an opportune time to have some fun.

I was really glad they ignored me and did not give chase. I was too pooped to sprint at that point.
    Check out my blog and leave a comment!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never really know what you have in the tank until you absolutely, positively have to use it. Two bull dogs chasing me? I'll dig d-e-e-p.
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
    You never really know what you have in the tank until you absolutely, positively have to use it. Two bull dogs chasing me? I'll dig d-e-e-p.
    I've done it before. Just glad I didn't have to today.
    Check out my blog and leave a comment!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

My Bikes
    69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dogs are challenging - but try to outrun a bunch of angry geese!

-G

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a ride awhile ago, a dog (looked like a pit mix of some kind) came out and essentially raced me for a block or so. It ran parallel to me, giving everything it had. Just before giving up, it managed to look over at me and bark once. Other than that, it was putting all its energy into the run. I could tell it was a happy sort of chase, and just maintained my speed, which was low 20's. Fun experience for both of us.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dogs need to be dogs. For most of them that means running. Seems like these two may not get enough on a regular basis.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio View Post
    It was not what I expected.

As I was nearing the end of my ride today, I encountered two bull dogs, running towards me, in my lane. I slowed down but did not stop for them and as I got within 20 feet they stopped, turned around and ran ahead of me.

About that time, the (apparent) owner ran out into the road, frantically calling them. She was obviously trying to get them out of the road, but they ran past her! As I rode away I could hear her screeching cries. It was sad and comical at the same time.

I figure they were house dogs and rarely let outside. They must have escaped at an opportune time to have some fun.

I was really glad they ignored me and did not give chase. I was too pooped to sprint at that point.
    Could have been worse, I work for the Post Office, and Thursday got bitten by a dog.... I do maintain though, there are no bad dogs (including the one that bit me), just people who shouldn't have dogs but do....

My Bikes
    A Homer Hilsen and a bunch of pretty much worthless crap
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    Could have been worse, I work for the Post Office, and Thursday got bitten by a dog.... I do maintain though, there are no bad dogs (including the one that bit me), just people who shouldn't have dogs but do....
    And that's a darn high percent from what see.

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, they don't bite...