Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do You Follow the 50+'s Oldest Sticky Thread?

For some strange reason, in August, 2004 - shortly after the 50+ forum started, as I recall - I started a thread called "Special Thread for 50+ yo Bicyclists.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-yo-Bicyclists

The 50+ (and all BFN forums) were much smaller then, and my piurpose was to let new-to-the-forum folks, and especially beginners, know some of the ranges and levels of bicycling of those who were 50+. Specifically, I wanted them to know that 50+'rs ride thousands of miles, ride road and mountain and tandem and recumbent and hybrid and comfort bikes - a full range, not just comfort and hybrid bikes (this seemed to me to be a common theme at the time - that 50+'rs should pretty much be limited to comfort and hybrid bikes and take 10 mile rides).

I quickly made up 7 questions without a lot of thought, thinking the thread would quickly die.

Well, it hasn't died yet. Folks still post there quite regularly, and it has become a rich source of currently untapped information, spanning 7 years and hundreds of responses.

I had, at one time, considered an article based on the responses - but the sheer amount of information has overwhelmed me.

However, I think it would make a fine Master's project for someone in the PE/Athletic department of a university to organize the data and mine it for whatever gold is there to be found.

Burr has kindly regularly welcomed folks who post there.

So, do you ever read this?

Personally, I am amazed that it is still active after all these years.

There are some very interesting stories/datum there!!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-03-11 at 07:26 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently I must have at some point, because there's a little green symbol next to that thread on my computer monitor, telling me I've posted in it.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not often
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to say, no.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I generally don't follow stickys.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you asked, I just looked up my answers from 2004. I'd give essentially the same answers today with two major changes:

1. Mrs. Grouch and I have made the shift to riding recumbent bikes. It's taken us over a year and we're still not fully acclimated to riding recumbents but, the more that I ride recumbents, the better I'm liking them.

2. Mrs. Grouch and I are both experiencing some health issues that are affecting our bicycle riding. The worst ones, I think, are mental rather than physical. At 40 or 50 I would have been confident that we'd work through them, at 68 I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 09-04-11 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't follow it, don't remember if I ever even posted in it (and, due to the infuriatingly obtuse way the "new" VBulletin search page works, can't confirm whether or not I ever posted in it), & wouldn't have known what you were talking about if you hadn't linked to it.

But I'll go check it out now.

[edit: Okay, I did already post in that thread, shortly after I turned 50 and started frequenting this forum.]
    Last edited by Bob Ross; 09-04-11 at 07:55 AM.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not posted in any "Sticky" thread.
    I may have read one once or twice though but it would have been a long time ago.
    no goals , just ride