Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How do you wash your bike?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-27-11, 08:53 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

AND... what is the best way to clean sprockets and derailers etc... You know; all the greasy stuff?
Old 08-27-11, 09:08 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Once per season I'll cover up paint/decals and spray the drivetrain down with brake cleaner. Then I lube the chain with Marvel's Mystery Oil.

There are undoubtedly more expensive and chic ways to do the same but none will do it better.
Old 08-27-11, 09:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Once per season I'll cover up paint/decals and spray the drivetrain down with brake cleaner. Then I lube the chain with Marvel's Mystery Oil.

There are undoubtedly more expensive and chic ways to do the same but none will do it better.
How do you cover the paint and decals? I like the idea... I don't want to do any disassemblying or anything like that.
Old 08-27-11, 09:12 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mineral Sprits and a old small paint brush. For the chain I use Mineral Sprits and the three wheel gismo that goes on the chain and cleans it while I turn the crank.
Old 08-27-11, 09:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Mineral Sprits and a old small paint brush. For the chain I use Mineral Sprits and the three wheel gismo that goes on the chain and cleans it while I turn the crank.
Interesting!
Old 08-27-11, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Old 08-27-11, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dish soap, a set of Park Tool brushes, and a garden hose set at low pressure (so as not to drive water into things like hub and BB bearings). Air dry and relube drivetrain with Rock n' Roll Gold lube.
Old 08-27-11, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
While nothing cleans better and faster than brake cleaner, you have to be really careful with it. For you, your bike and the environment. Either a chain washer with biodegradable citrus cleaner or the same in spray format is great and it can be safely applied and rinsed off with water. Paint brushes work great for getting rid of stubborn dirt and even a flat blade screw driver for carefully digging out greasy gunk.

After I use the above, I wash the bike with soapy (dishsoap) water and rinse. I lightly bounce the bike on the ground to knock off excess water and towel dry and relube the chain. If you do it often, its easy.
Old 08-27-11, 11:19 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
A little blue Dawn and...

I keep the drivetrain up every time I lube the chain. If it gets really icky, I pull the parts, and put them in an old dishpan with some Simple Green MAX Automotive Degreaser, diluted 8:1. That, a brush, and some elbow grease.
Old 08-28-11, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I wash my bikes in the driveway, or in the garage (floor drain) when weather is bad. I put the bike in my work stand, hose it down gently (I know, I know), spray it with a foaming cleanser, go over it with a brush and rinse it with the hose - then re-lube as necessary. Sometimes I blow dry it with Maddy's hair dryer - if she's not home.

When I work on other peoples bikes I usually put 'em through this treatment first (the bike, not the person), because I hate to work on filthy bikes.
Old 08-28-11, 12:17 AM

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If I ride in the rain I'll give mine a hose off to remove gritty stuff and leafy stuff. Other than that I don't clean it at all.
Old 08-28-11, 12:20 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Plenty of environmentally safe cleaners out there and there are cheaper alternatives aswell. Clothes washing liquids watered down will get rid of most grease unless it has to be scraped off first. Chains and they will clean up with a chain cleaning tool and the soap. The akward part is cleaning the cassettes and deraillers so clean chain first and wash down- Then take the wheels off the bike and a 1" brush and soap will get most grease off the parts left on the bike.

Handy tip for the cassette- Natural sisal string and you can get it between the sprockets and it will pull all the gunge out from between the rings. Dare say modern poly string would do the same. And another tip- Don't clean the bike on the lawn. Dead patches of grass will not please the wife.

But if you want to use modern cleaners- Go to a Truck agent and get a Methanol based liquid as used as Brake cleaner. Buy it in 5 litres and it is cheap and methanol cleans anything and you can use it in the chain cleaning tool and by brush. Just make certain you use it outdoors.

And after all that water- do not forget to lube.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-28-11, 01:00 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Any basic detergent will get your bike clean of grime. Brake cleaner on the clearcoat might be an issue. I wouldn't want to use it unless I knew it wouldn't strip the paints clear coat. I just use a very weak solution of dish washing liquid to clean the bike itself. I take off the chain first. I use a Connex link to allow me to do that easily. I wipe the cables, clean the bike, brush out the brake grooves (in the rubber), and clean the pads. After the bike is clean I may put on a coat of NTX 2.0 car wax (actually a synthetic). That won't protect against chips but it makes for very easy cleaning and ensures less dirt will stick to the frame, particularly if it's rainy/muddy. I clean the cogs with a cloth pulled back and forth between the teeth. I clean my chain (and my wife's) about every 200 miles or so or after any rainy ride. I use somewhat dilute orange citric cleaner, agititating the chain and replacing the cleaner until it doesn't show much darkness, then I rinse in the sink with hot water and dry it in an oven at 200F for 20 minutes or so before oiling. I use a brush in addition to agitating. I spray the derailleurs with canned bike cleaner spray (probably much the same as brake cleaner) using towels to ensure it doesn't get on the frame, then I oil the pivots. I take care to try not to spray into the bushings. I use a teflon type chain oil. I oil link by link, let it set, and oil again, let it set and wipe dry. I'm retired and have the time and it's a nice mindless, stressless activity. Our bikes remain silent, shift perfectly and with the exception of some chips from little rocks here and there, are spotless, shiny and nearly as clean as the day we bought them. (which was just a bit over a year ago for our road bikes). My 1983 mtn bike...well...the drivetrain is clean but boy...that sucker has many badges of honor. I doubt our carbon fiber bikes will last as long...I might not either . I noticed I could hear my bike today. I won't tomorrow .
Old 08-28-11, 02:10 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
As a long-time motorcyclist and car guy I am pretty familiar with brake cleaner and I would not use it on either. So, it's not going on my Masi either. I use a citrus based degreaser that I got at my LBS. I put my bike in the work stand about once a week and just spray up the under body and have at it with a paper shop cloth. Usually the pulleys are the worst but once cleaned shifting improves significantly. When cleaning the paint on my bike I use a motorcycle product called Plexus. It was developed for plastic surfaces like windscreens but works well on the paint on my Ducatis. I also use it on the visors of my helmets and any glass or mirror surfaces. A bit pricey but a very versatile product.

Last edited by bruce19; 08-28-11 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-28-11, 05:26 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by teachme
How do you cover the paint and decals? I like the idea... I don't want to do any disassemblying or anything like that.
Due to the fast evaporation I just grab a big ragged towel out of the garage and put it over the chainstay and jammed into the spokes. Doesnt need to be elaborate, just to shield. So far I've not had any paint damaged but it might peel a chainstay protector decal. No effort, quickly done, very little mess afterward. I've done the brush and fuel thing and that was too messy, too much time and effort. When I detail vintage bikes that come through this is what I do. It works.

Depending on how grimey of a bike you are starting with (shame on somebody) the brush method will still be needed in some places.
Old 08-28-11, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by tsl

I keep the drivetrain up every time I lube the chain. If it gets really icky, I pull the parts, and put them in an old dishpan with some Simple Green MAX Automotive Degreaser, diluted 8:1. That, a brush, and some elbow grease.
Dawn dishwashing liquid is one of the best, environmentally safe cleaners there is. I was told recently that on some clean-up sites like gas spills, car wrecks etc there are cleanup crews that use Dawn to emulsify the petroleum products.
Old 08-28-11, 05:35 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I also use a citrus based degreaser that I get at my LBS and clean my bikes about once a month or when they get dirty from a lot of wet roads. The degreaser comes in a spray can (which means I'm probably paying a bit too much for it) and comes out as a form. I let it sit on the chain, cassette, jockey wheels and chainrings for a few minutes, then I use a cheap cleaning brush I got at the grocery store to scrub the grease off. I use Meguiars wheel cleaner on the wheels and rinse it all off with the water hose set for low pressure (the shower setting on multi-flow garden nozzles). The frame is washed with the same car soap that I use to wash my show car, then the bike is dried with an old Absorber. I use those on my show car as well as it doesn't scratch the paint or leave swirl marks like a towel does. I relube the chain and jockey wheels with a Teflon based, dry chain oil and put a coat of Meguiars Quick Detailer on the bike to make it shine and protect the clear coat. The Quick Detailer leaves a very smooth finish on the bike and hardens the clear coat to help prevent chips. If your bike is full CF with a matte finish, you may not want to use the Quick Detailer, although I have never tried it on a matte finish so I can't tell you what it looks like afterward. Which reminds me, I have to clean the road bike today.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-28-11, 05:46 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
If your bike is full CF with a matte finish, you may not want to use the Quick Detailer, although I have never tried it on a matte finish so I can't tell you what it looks like afterward.
I have a flat finish on my 32 and it works well. No harm at all.
Old 08-28-11, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl

What do you use the toilet paper for? Your wif lets you do this?

Somebody mentioned brake fluid? I dont know, I use that stuff to remove paint on stuff, not sure how that could be an effective way to wash a bike, just my 2 cents. Why not use paint stripper to clean a bike? oddball iseas on this thread...

Marvel Mystery oild is tops though, love that stuff.
Old 08-28-11, 06:14 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't do anything very fancy. Since I stopped mountain biking my bikes don't ever get very dirty. I used to hang them up by the saddle and spray off the mud with a hose.

I'm not real fastitudous with chain cleaning and maintenance. I mostly just clean off the experior with a rag (I use a little WD40 on the rag if the chain is extra icky), drip the tiniest amount of lube that I can manage on each link, wait a while (overnight) and try to wipe it all off of tne exterior with a dry rag.

If I'm working on a bike with a real yucky drivetrain (wouldn't be one of mine), I'll sometimes pull the crank and disassemble the chainrings to clean individually in solvent. I'll remove the rear wheel and floss between the cogs with solvent on a folded over rag.
Old 08-28-11, 08:31 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

Bike in the shower? You must have a VERY understanding wife.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-28-11, 08:33 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I hang my bikes in the work stand in the back yard and hose them down, then spray with Bike Wash or Simple Green. A soft cloth helps get the red clay off the underside of the BB, down tube, and back of the seat tube. The red clay is from riding through road construction or sewer/water pipe repair areas. You know, the mud that runs down the street. The mud is red and when it hits the bottom of the bike it dries like glue.
I use Greased Lightning on the greasy, grimy stuff. At least once a year I remove the cassette, chainrings, derailleurs, and chain and soak them in a good solvent. Then the whole bike gets a good wipe down. Then I lubricate the chain, derailleur, brakes, cables and inside the housing, etc.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-28-11, 09:02 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Garden hose, soft bristle brush and a few tablespoons of Simple Green in a bucket of water. Everything then gets hand dried, and chain gets fresh lube.
Old 08-28-11, 09:04 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I almost never do a full "washing" involving water and brushes, etc. I keep my bikes clean by wiping them down with rags at the first sign of dirt. If there is a good bit of dirt on the bike, I'll take it outside for a quick dry rag rubdown to knock off the loose dirt. Then I'll bring it inside and do the detailed work while watching a race or ball game or such in the background.

The main cleaning is done with rags sprayed with Pedros Bike Lust. If the bike is a bit more dirty or greasy, I'll damp a rag with water, 409, Simple Green or glass cleaner first to clean it and then finish off with the Bike Lust on a clean rag. For a detailed cleaning, I'll take off the wheels so I can get the rags into more places. The drivetrain is similarly kept clean by wiping down with rags, more often damp with 409 or simple Green.

Even the mountain bike can usually be cleaned this way. The initial knocking off of dirt is a bigger deal and I often use a semi stiff brush along with dry rags to knock off the worst of the dirt before bringing the bike inside for the detailed cleaning. It is rare that I'll have to resort to a water hose to rinse off caked on mud.
Old 08-28-11, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pistard
What do you use the toilet paper for? Your wif lets you do this?

Somebody mentioned brake fluid? I dont know, I use that stuff to remove paint on stuff, not sure how that could be an effective way to wash a bike, just my 2 cents. Why not use paint stripper to clean a bike? oddball iseas on this thread...

Marvel Mystery oild is tops though, love that stuff.
Marvel's is the duct tape of the lube world.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.