User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Supplment Question Again!

I know this have been over many times. However, this morning when I am working out, an elderly guy came over and asked me what supplements or additives do I take?

I told him I am old-fashion, and all I take is one-a-day-vitamins, and when I get sick, my old fashion remedies of aspiriin, and sometimes baking soda and water. That's it.

The eldlerly guy came off and told me a long, long list of stuff that he was taking, It was so long, I had to start another set for fear of cooling down.

He must have listed about 10 to 15 supplments he was taking. In addition, he is about 60 years old, and super healthy. When I say "super" I mean way above average. So, I guess this is a situation where two people go at something in vastly different ways, and they both be correct.
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beer

I am not convinced that stuffing your body full of "supplements" does a whole lot of anything in the long run. I think common sense eating and genetics are worth a lot more.

Aaron
    Last edited by wahoonc; 09-04-11 at 02:23 PM.
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of money to be made with supplements. Used to be the MD/DO and their unions, etc were against supplements. Even to the point of calling them dangerous. I always suspected their attitude was based more on money than concern for their customers. From recent experience where it seems every doc and related almost doc has their favorite supplement brand and regimen it seems I was correct. Everyone seems to be peddling their favorite and at prices that are truly astronomical.

That said, my personal opinion is that supplements are good if intelligently used and if a person can be reasonably sure they actually contain what the label proclaims. Food, especially supermarket food, often does not contain the nutrients a human body needs. There are several reasons for that. But, the old adage that a person can get all their nutrients from food is no longer true for a large number of people. Also, as a person ages their metabolism declines.

With the reduced metabolism a person can no longer consume enough food to get all their nutrients from food alone without become overweight and probably obese. I did the calculation for myself at one point and, assuming the food was available, which it wasn't and isn't, I would have to spend all my waking hours exercising to offset the amount of food I'd have to eat to get all my nutrients and limit my sleep hours.

The problem is that there is a paucity of reliable information on just what is in the supplements no matter where they are purchased. That combined with the snake oil salesmen and it is tough to do the right thing.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genetics is still one of the biggest factors for health, strength/endurance potential, longevity and a host of other things. Every male in my father's family live to be mid 80s to 90s, and this goes back three generations. The only supplements my grandfather ( a blacksmith by trade who could pick up ny 200lb father with one hand when he was 80) was brewer's yeast in his chicory flavored coffee every morning.

Oh, but my grandfather, father, and all my uncles I knew, ate lots of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis.
    Last edited by NOS88; 09-04-11 at 01:53 PM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good diet and that gives me all the vitamins and other benificial nutrients necessary to stay healthy.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post

With the reduced metabolism a person can no longer consume enough food to get all their nutrients from food alone without become overweight and probably obese. I did the calculation for myself at one point and, assuming the food was available, which it wasn't and isn't, I would have to spend all my waking hours exercising to offset the amount of food I'd have to eat to get all my nutrients and limit my sleep hours.
    Sorry, I think this is dead wrong. If you eat fresh food, and make a point of making fresh fruit and vegetables
    - especially green leafy vegetables - e centrepiece of your diet, then young or old you can get all the nutrients you need. And if you keep the consumption of refined carbohydrate low, there's no reason whatever to get overweight while doing so.

As for availability, that is an issue, with many shops in poorer neighbourhoods here tending to stock only processed foods. Under those circumstances supplementation may be necessary, but it would be much better to find a source of fresh food.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    Specialized Camber Elite 29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just do a reasonably good diet and use no supplements at all. They've not been shown to do any good at all if your diet is good and you have no professionally diagnosed problems. I have been a vegetarian for 45+ years, and do pay a bit more attention to what I eat than most of the people around me, though. I'm not recommending anyone turn vegetarian, just pay attention to what you eat: you are in control of that.

I did take glucosamine at one point, but after the 217th study came out saying it didn’t do anything a placebo wouldn't do, I quit taking it. Haven't noticed any difference after two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    ...chicory flavored coffee every morning.
    My primary supplement plus a 50+ multi vitamin.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paleo diet and B Complex vitamin.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    As for availability, that is an issue, with many shops in poorer neighbourhoods here tending to stock only processed foods. Under those circumstances supplementation may be necessary, but it would be much better to find a source of fresh food.
    We have the same problem over here and Our obesity problem is rising- Mainly amongst those that reckon they can't afford good quality home cooked food. I have a good diet and it is well balanced. Fresh veg at every meal and plenty of Pasta and rice dishes. Meat can be a bit of a luxury but Chicken is cheap over here but my wife cooks it in such a variety of ways that I could never get bored with it.

To be honest- we can't afford the processed food. It is cheaper to go to a Greengrocer for the veg than to buy packet ready meals off the supermarket shelves and I know what tastes better aswell. We do have the occasional fast food but A Grilled Chicken Kebab with plenty of salad and veg is good nutritionally and taste is not bad. Don't want to call it a treat but after a long day and neither of us fel like cooking- it is.

The only time I ever had to go on supplements was after the bypass. I had to take some tablets but they got stopped pretty quick- and the iron tablets only lasted a week till the first blood test.

A Good diet is far better and I won't rattle when I walk with all the pills that some people take. Helps me creep up on other riders on the hills and take a tow without them knowing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only supplement is 99 mg of Potassium daily to help keep the leg cramping down. I used to get leg cramps two to three nights a week that were so bad, I had to wake my wife up to help massage the leg. Since taking the Potassium, the cramps have all but gone. Every once in a while I get a cramp in my foot, but those don't last very long.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of money to be made with supplements. Used to be the MD/DO and their unions, etc were against supplements. Even to the point of calling them dangerous. I always suspected their attitude was based more on money than concern for their customers. From recent experience where it seems every doc and related almost doc has their favorite supplement brand and regimen it seems I was correct. Everyone seems to be peddling their favorite and at prices that are truly astronomical.

That said, my personal opinion is that supplements are good if intelligently used and if a person can be reasonably sure they actually contain what the label proclaims. Food, especially supermarket food, often does not contain the nutrients a human body needs. There are several reasons for that. But, the old adage that a person can get all their nutrients from food is no longer true for a large number of people. Also, as a person ages their metabolism declines.

The problem is that there is a paucity of reliable information on just what is in the supplements no matter where they are purchased. That combined with the snake oil salesmen and it is tough to do the right thing.
    A great detailed response!

I am on the other end, don't take anything. Also, I eat like horse, and my metabolism like clock work. Almost everything I eat, it passes through me. I guess that is the reason, I am 70 years old, about 30 to 40 lbs underweight, and according to my doctor, I am super healthy, even being underweight. I think another poster stated another important factor, and that is "genitics".
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition

74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of these, or similar, daily. Not entirely sure it is necessary.

RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Sorry, I think this is dead wrong. If you eat fresh food, and make a point of making fresh fruit and vegetables
    - especially green leafy vegetables - e centrepiece of your diet, then young or old you can get all the nutrients you need. And if you keep the consumption of refined carbohydrate low, there's no reason whatever to get overweight while doing so.

You called my diet! Fresh fruits, veggies, chicken, seafood, very seldom fried stuff. Maybe that is the reason I get by with just one-a-day-vitamins, and feel great.
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition

74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a daily multi-vitamin and a GU Brew Electrolyte in water before and after a ride. I drink too much beer and brandy (for a cyclist) but I do eat fairly well. I've also started drinking a lot more water. At 65 I'm better and faster on the bike than I was two years ago when I started charting my 15 mi. TT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy watching the posts of you who can still brag about your pure diets and athletic ability. It would be well to remember that just as babies grow into childhood and on into adulthood by steps and not in a smooth progression we decline by steps. Bump, bump, bump, downward from step to step. As that metabolism slows along the way it becomes nearly impossible to maintain without supplements. In my case even riding a bike 30 miles and doing a gym workout daily didn't burn enough calories to allow me to consume all the food I needed for nutrient content. Hence, supplements. I am not unique in this regard.

Another factor is the lack of nutrients in much of our nation's soil. Much of our agricultural production is from soil that has long ago lost its' vitality. Now the crops are grown as a result of chemical fertilizers and seed that is tailored to the poor soil. If the nutrients don't come from the soil into the food they have to come from somewhere. Supplements.

One of the current nutrients of interest is Vitamin D. Many, even in sunny climates, do not get enough because they spend the day, or in my case, days, in the dark due to work or geographic location. Supplements.

So many post about supplements with an almost religious fervor. But, taking or not taking to me is not the issue. The issue is whether a person intelligently decides what they are going to put in their body.

My bias is that about 90% of what is in the supermarket is not good for a person. It may not be biologically harmful. But that doesn't mean it is good for a human. Of the remaining 10% much has been grown in poor soil, or has been harvested early to get to the store before it spoils. Supplements help, only help, make up for the deficiency.

All this against the backdrop of a person's goals. For some it is long life. For others it is to look a certain way, like body builders, for example. I'm not interested in long life, never have been. I wonder about my longevity as a resource planning matter only. As the old saying goes: "I'd rather have a short bright life than an age without a name." Or, more modernly: "More life in your years is the name of the game, not how long you can exist in a "facility" somewhere."
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 09-04-11 at 06:19 PM.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, surly CC, trek 5000, paris sport fixie (my 1970 bike...repurposed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fish & meat = food

supplements = chemicals (no matter whether their extracted or synthesized)

I stick to food.

My Bikes
    Specialized Camber Elite 29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As that metabolism slows along the way it becomes nearly impossible to maintain without supplements.
    Source? Not arguing, just after further info.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, surly CC, trek 5000, paris sport fixie (my 1970 bike...repurposed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
    Source? Not arguing, just after further info.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calorie requremment is a personal calculation. The foundation is that every morsel of food contains calories. The trick is to figure out your personal calorie needs and balance that number with consumption and then to balance that with the nutrient need you require. If your personal calorie need is high there is no problem. On the other hand if the food you eat is high in calories but low in nutrients there may be a problem.

There are a variety of government and major medical center sites that have calorie requirement calculators. You enter your age and other information and the site calculates your daily basal metabolism, which is your daily just staying alive calorie requirement. In my case that is about 2000. To that you add the calories for whatever activity you engage in. In my case if I'm snowshoeing all day I can add about 4000 calories. So, on a sit around day I need 2000 calories and on an active day I need 6000. Most days I need 2000 calories.

Then I need to do some more research to figure out what nutrients are in each item I eat or drink. A starting place for packaged foods is the nutrition label. Beyond that the information is a matter of research and calculation. For example: By current recommendation I need about 1000IU per day of Vitamin D. So, I discover and add up all the vitamin D from all the sources I ate during the day. If it is a day like today I do not add anything for sun exposure. In fact, today if I ate enough food to get all my vitamin D from food I would have ate many more calories than I burned. Thus, I would have added unhealthy fat to my body. Since I am recovering from surgery the likelyhood I'll burn that off tomorrow is very low.

I repeat this kind of calculation for each nutrient I need. Complcated the first time. But, one you spend the time and energy doing the calculation by interprolation is fairly easy.

Bottom line for me after doing this kind of thing many times: People over 50 usually have a basal metablism in the range of 1500-2000 calories. It is very unlikely they can get all the recommended nutrients for health while only consuming that number of calories. At the same time people generally greatly overestimate the calorie requirement for their activity and underestimate the number of calories in the food they eat.

Maybe a different way of saying it would be useful.

>Daily Nutrient needs are XXXX
    >Daily Calorie needs are YYYY
    >Excess Calories consumed to get enough Nutrients are FAT, FAT, FAT, FAT.
    >If a person is young enough to have high calorie needs there is no worry.
    >But the life envelope of an older person gets pretty narrow at advanced age. Calorie Requirements are down but nutrient needs, although they change, may in fact, in total be up.
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 09-04-11 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HawkOwl, I hear what you are saying and there is no doubt either that lots of people eat too much, or that many are poorly nourished despite eating a lot of calories. But I think your method - at least as you describe it here - is flawed, because not all the nutrients we need have to be acquired in their original form directly from foodstuffs. Our bodies can synthesise many - though not all - of them from other sources. That's how the sunlight/vitamin D thing works, for example, and I believe that retinol, which we need for vision, can be acquired either directly from Vitamin A or synthesised from beta-carotene in our system. 12 of the 20 amino acids we need can be synthesised internally from foodstuffs that do not contain the compound itself. So if you assume you have to source everything in its pure form directly from food, and then add up all the foods you'd need to make that happen, you're almost certainly arriving at a greater amount of food than is actually required.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    One of these, or similar, daily. Not entirely sure it is necessary.

That is what I take, same thing, different brand. My wife was telling me that my metabolism at my age works better than average. She pointed out that everything I eat (a lot)comes right out, hence no weight gains and no fat. I am still sporting a 6 pack at 70 and wearing the same size clothes as I did 40/50 years ago.

However, EVERYBODY is different, and that is the main factor.
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition

74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you are experiencing a deficiency, supplements are not necessary. Eat well, exercise, hope you have good genes. all the rest is snake oil.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast