Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Giant XTC 1 SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beta blockers????

Anyone here on beta blocker? Been doing some research and found out that people that exercise are limited if they are taking beta blockers. Can produce asthma like condition if you really push yourself. Have had this happen to me. Sprinting up a hill hard will result in this happening.(as will really good sex!)
    Have to see my doctor in next couple of weeks and I am going to ask him if there is something else that does not have these side effects.
    Anyone on the forum been down this road?

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <disclaimer>
    I am not a medical professional or doctor and this advice is based only on non-professional common sense.
    </disclaimer>

The beta blockers are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. They keep your heart from exceeding a specific output (beats, compression, rate, etc.). It's like a governor on an old carburetor.

The idea with a beta blocker is that when you start to feel that 'asthma-like' condition...you are exceeding your heart's ability to deliver oxygen and you should heed that warning. Slow down. Take it easy.

You might have to adjust your training to ride longer times at lower output/power to achieve the same workout.

You are probably on beta blockers intentionally (prescribed by your doctor) to keep your heart from over-working & exploding inside your chest.

Good advice: it's best to not have your heart explode inside your chest.

<disclaimer>
    Again, I am not a medical professional or doctor. My advice is based only on common sense regarding your heart not exploding inside your chest.
    </disclaimer>

The Mississippi Flash triggerracing's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take Ziac for high blood pressure. It is a combination beta blocker/diuretic. Reading the precautions on webmd it says to avoid strenuous exercise. Maybe I better see my doc about trying something different.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was on them after the bypass and my max HR went from 165 to 130. At 130 I was in trouble and no matter how hard I pushed- I Could not get above that. The 130 felt around 170 so that was how hard it hit. I had to get out on the bike though as it was part of my recovery plan so I rode miles with the HR not getting above 120. Had a chat with the doc and instead of taking the BB in the morning of a ride- I took it the night before and then 1/2 a tablet after the ride.

13 weeks after the bypass I did a 40 mile ride. Couple of steep hills involved and the first one I took it steady on the 5% for a mile approach but on the 400 yards at the end where it steepened up I had to put in effort. Saw 160 so recovered afterwards. Bit later on and I got riding with a lad on a wallymart Full suspension bike. I was on a mountain bike with slicks and he got telling me that the only way to mountain bike was full suspension and I got fed up with him. Next hill and as he flagged I put the power in and left him. I knew there was an ambulance at the top so if I had any problems there would be help close by. Saw 165 and went and rested by the ambulance. Took a long time for the HR to drop to 110 and the ambulance crew got talking. They were waiting for the heart attack to happen as last year there were 2 on this hill. When I recovered I told them I was getting over a Bypass and I think they panicked.

Got riding again and finished the ride. Loaded the bike in the car and sat down to take off the shoes. Stood up and agony- I had Shin Splints and just could not walk. Hobbled to the car and took the 1/2 BB and went home none the worse for wear- except I could not walk.

I don't know why you are on BB's but chat to the doc. See if the night bfore a ride would work.

And one warning- I had 3 months off exercise before the bypass- 6 weeks before I put ANY effort in on the bike and this was the first serious ride in 6 months. You may have to take care of the heart at present but don't forget the rest of the body. Keep it mobile and under effort to retain what strength you have in it. If you don't- I can assure you that pain hurts.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a heart valve replacement I was on beta blockers along with other meds. As I got back into exercising, my pulse (that is slow normally) was in the 30's. I was falling asleep in meetings. My cardiologist took me off the bb's and now I workout hard at least six times a week and my resting pulse is in the 40's which seems to work for me. I seem to have enough lungs and legs for climbs. Good luck. Talk with your doc.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried beta blockers, I couldn't exercise vigorously, Doc put me on something else.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have been forced on me twice - BAD results for riding both times

I normally ride with a HR of 135 - 165. I average 140 for long distance touring rides and 150 for shorter training rides. I can easily and comfortably ride at 160 - 165 for very long periods. I hardly ever ride at a HR of less than 130.

My first beta blocker experience was about six years ago. I could not maintain any pace near what I was used to. My heart rate just would not go over 140 and I felt like I was running out of energy/power at 130. At that time I was a competitive racquetball player which means I need a lot of intense energy for 10 - 20 seconds and then a 'sorta rest period for 20 - 30 seconds. The beta blocker made it impossible to play at anywhere near my normal level of effort or competitiveness.

No matter what I did on the RB court - no HR over 135!

The doc kept telling me I would get used to them and my body would adjust. Well after 30 days I saw no change so I eased my self off the beta blockers.

Two years ago - the same thing. My worst experience then was the same as someone else described - climbing a hill (two miles 6% - 9%) that I could normally do at a HR of 165 - 172 and about 6 mph - I barely made it over the top at 3 mph and a HR of 138. Trying to ride a moderate pace on level ground (normally 18 - 20 mph) I could not stay above 15 mph.

I struggled again for a month and finally tapered off the beta stuff.

My problem is high blood pressure - fortunately for me - losing 45 pounds will lower my BP enough that the doc quits harassing me. So, that is my plan - don't let my weight get into the 145/90 BP range.

My Bikes
    Giant XTC 1 SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also taking Lisinopril/HCTZ 20/12.5. Started getting into shape last December. By spring, I was running out of energy during the day. Almost passed out one morning while bending over stretching. Started checking BP every morning. I was shocked at how low it was. After consulting with RN at work, I tried stopping the Lisinopril/hctz. BP stablized at 120 over 70 after about a week off med. And stays there or below unless I am working long odd hours.(long hours, hard work, swapping from day to night back to day and sometimes repeating. All in a short period of time) BP will get UP to 140 over 90 in this type situation.
    May not be able to get off beta blocker. But I going to ask doc if I can or if there is an alternative that will do same job without slowing me down so much. And I am going to get a HR monitor. One other thing, when I ride, the longer I ride, the stronger I get and my breathing gets better the longer I ride. At mile 20 I am riding much stronger than at mile one. Even at mile 30, I can ride better. Legs getting tired, butt starting to get a bit sore and feet starting to hurt a bit. But I am pedaling harder than early in ride. Almost like flipping a switch at mile 10 or so.

My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been on BBs (Coreg) for about 6 years, but I have only been riding for the last year or less. As others have noted, BBs decrease your heart rate and hence have some effect on performance. Since I began riding I noticed I could keep up with my riding companions on flats and rollers, but any substantial hill and they leave me in the dust: my heart cannot pump enough blood to give my muscles what they need for climbing at a pace to keep up with my riding companions. After consulting my cardio doc, he suggested lowering the dosage and adjusting timing for rides with steeper hills. Since adjusting the dosage down --- monitoring BP often enough to ensure things are within range -- I have noticed that it makes about two cogs difference. That is, whereas before I would ride at say 53/25 now I can ride at 53/23. I can feel that I am building more riding strength and I suspect I will see further improvement

Over the six years I have taken BBs my dosage has varied considerably and the higher the dose the more tired I feel and there is a decrease in exercise performance. Finding the lowest therapeutic dose that works and then working within that is just the reality if taking BBs is necessary.

good luck

Getting older and slower!
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Trek Madone 6.9, Trek XO1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been on a beta blocker since having five bypass surgery in January, 2005. Yes, they have slowed me down and hills aren't fun anymore. I can't get my heart rate above 115-120. Wish I could get it up to 140!

I've tried to get my cardiologist to take me off of them, but he says I should feel lucky I can still ride. He says he is more interested in keeping me alive than he is on how fast I can climb hills.

I am the only person in our cycling club that uses their heart rate monitor to make sure I keep my rate BELOW 115. If I get it up above 115 for any length of time, I am toast for the rest of the ride. Also, I use my heart rate monitor to make sure I have rested enough at my breaks, letting my heart rate get down below 90 before I proceed.

So they are a pain, but doing their job. And my cardiologist is right; I am glad I can still enjoy riding as a 67 year old survivor of two heart incidents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know anything but BB riding.i've been on them for 10 years since the Heart attack.However my low blood pressure is attributed to riding mostly.Before I started seriously riding about 16 months ago with the pills my bb was like 140/92 now it's like 120/70 and less.I also lost 22 lbs.I'm curious what riding would be like without them.The Doc isn't.I can say I ride at a different level than what I started with a century under my belt and of course much stronger in every way.

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltarebel View Post
    Anyone here on beta blocker? Been doing some research and found out that people that exercise are limited if they are taking beta blockers. Can produce asthma like condition if you really push yourself. Have had this happen to me. Sprinting up a hill hard will result in this happening.(as will really good sex!)
    Have to see my doctor in next couple of weeks and I am going to ask him if there is something else that does not have these side effects.
    I have been on multiple forms of both 'beta blockers', 'calcium channel blockers', and 'ace inhibitors'. Am currently taking "Bystolic" 20mg daily. My heart DR loves the fact that I am riding, and has told me multiple times that I can ride as often and/or as hard as I like.

But, as you say, there is only so much I can do before I am puffing like a freight train~! If I refuse to act on the signs, my vision will start to grey-out. There have been many, many, many times that I have felt I could ride better/faster/stronger if I stopped taking these meds, but for me at least, it is not an option.

I have a condition where my at-rest-heartrate was 122 at the lowest, and I could easily hit the 190s with mild exercise. Now, after 10yrs of various meds my at-rest-heart-rate is in the low 70s, and I rarely go past 110 (if I do, my breathing goes wacky).

Long-term sleep apnea combined with an unknown heart 'event' some 15-20yrs in my past created this issue. I also self-bypassed my left artery.

Atenolol, Benicar, Bystolic - to name a few. Some are meant to *lock* your heart-rate at a given number (like 'Atenolol'), others are used to simply lower your heart-rate by a percentage, and still others change the 'strength' of the actual 'beats' of the heart. As I am not any type of a Doctor, I do not understand why one type is prescribed for me, yet another type may be prescribed for you? is it a DR's personal preference? Or trial and error to find what works best on a given person?

I was kept on 'Benicar' for 3yrs as my DR expected it to basically 'reset' my heart-rate - and he says that it did so. By choosing to blindly believe my DR and do as he said to do, I am better today than I was ten years ago when I first noticed my heart issues.

Back to your original question? I am not sure if I am limited because of the Bystolic, or because of the heart condition. But ten years ago, the act of walking out to my car, getting in, and putting on my seat-belt made me want to pass out~! Now I do 10-20 mile rides and enjoy myself (am not fast at all, but I can ride!)
    Peter_C
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/ <-- My Photos

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deltarebel- Lisinopril-hctz is not a beta blocker. It doesn't impact the heart rate like the beta blockers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltarebel View Post
    I had a mild heart attack in 95 and was prescribed a beta blocker. It seemed to me it was making me stupid. So I started looking at side effects. One of them was cognitive disorders especially reported by close relatives. (That is your spouse is more likely to notice you're stupid than you are!). Anyway, I stopped them then and there - apparently a no-no but there were no harmful effects. Another effect I noticed was a delayed reaction to high stress events. For example, driving in a heavy rainstorm, on a curve, and having someone speed past, kicking up a big wall of water that blinded me. My heart rate went way up a mile or so down the road when the problem was long past.

Statin drugs were another that I didn't like (muscle pain) and quit.

I think I'm pretty healthy now for age 65 - just had a stress test and got the heart rate up to 171 bpm. I think this can be attributed mostly to quitting smoking, losing weight and exercising. I also take a daily aspirin and to keep cholesterol under control, a non-statin called Zetia (prevents absorption of cholesterol in the digestive tract) and niacin.

- Ed who is not an MD!

My Bikes
    LeMond - Gunnar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been doing some research and found out that people that exercise are limited if they are taking beta blockers. Can produce asthma like condition if you really push yourself. Have had this happen to me.
    I think your best route may be to just be very, very out spoken with your doctor.

I'm on BP medication and luckily - I have doctor who is well aware of my physical conditioning and cycling exploits. You are in a tricky situation with respect to the best possible timing and dosing of any medication. The fact that you are taking a beta-blocker class of medication has serious implications. Heed them, and make sure your doctor is aware of your concerns and "research findings."
    Sorry about my comments - I thought you wanted honest feedback.
    2003 Lemond Wayzata - 2002 LeMond Malliot Jeune

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about perspective. A 'heart Doctor' is all about keeping you alive, keeping you from having 'an event', and, if possible, making your heart healthier. Generally in that order. By all means, talk with your DR if you are not happy with side effects of any meds you are prescribed, but also, you need to also realize that you were prescribed them for a reason, and simply choosing to not take them because you feel 'better' without them is not really a sound choice.

You went to the DR for a reason, and he can't help you if you don't follow his advice.

I hate BBs with a passion~! I sleep more, am tired more, get dizzy at times, I think I'd be able to ride stronger without them, and I won't even talk about some of the changes they cause in the bedroom~!

But, I would also hate to die. So, I tell my Doc how I feel, and I do what he tells me to do, and take what he tells me to take. I do believe in quality of life, but you alos have to actually be *alive* to enjoy the quality!
    Peter_C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a mild heart attack and a stint I was put on Metoprolol Tartrate a beta blocker last May. Also the doctor wanted me to keep my heart rate under 135 bpm while biking. Prior to my little incident my max heart rate was 180 bpm. I was very concerned that this was going to affect my bike riding. But as of date it has not been that big of deal. My average heart rate while taking the meds is around 119 bpm prior to taking the meds it was 130 bpm. Attacking a hill now my heart rate will go up to around 150 bpm prior it was 180 bpm.

Taking the meds are the new norm. I have not seen the med hurt my performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have COPD, it's not a good thing to use Beta Blockers. Check with your Doctor, not those on the internet

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    If you have COPD, it's not a good thing to use Beta Blockers. Check with your Doctor, not those on the internet
    Who is talking about COPD?
    Peter_C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was on Beta blocker for High blood pressure and irregular heart beat, lost 40 lbs, quit drinking, got in shape, was able to get off it with doctors permission, It was like I picked up another two gears. There are other opions for athletes.

My Bikes
    Giant XTC 1 SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post
    deltarebel- Lisinopril-hctz is not a beta blocker. It doesn't impact the heart rate like the beta blockers.
    Yes I know. But it causes does cause "cabbagehead" disease.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE A SLINKY. NOT GOOD FOR ANYTHING. BUT THEY DO MAKE YOU SMILE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN THE STAIRS!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By all means, have this discussion with your doctor. There are several different paths to take in blood pressure control. As stated Beta blockers limit the heartrate and can be a problem for active lifestyles. There are other types of medecines that can have the same effect but with different side effects. You and your doctor should be able to experiment with that which works best for you.

I've been fortunate enough to have doctors who realized that lifestyle is important too.
    Just take it

The Mississippi Flash triggerracing's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slowride View Post
    Was on Beta blocker for High blood pressure and irregular heart beat, lost 40 lbs, quit drinking, got in shape, was able to get off it with doctors permission, It was like I picked up another two gears. There are other opions for athletes.
    +1

Lost 165 pounds and high blood pressure was no longer an issue. Kept it off for 5 years but the last year I put 40 back on, so had to go back on bp meds. Hopefully my new active lifestyle will get me back off them, as they are beta blockers. Gonna to to my GP also about maybe changing.

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been on Benicar and Metaprolol for about 7 years. At first it was a PITA. I asked my Dr. last visit why no matter what I couldn't get my HR above 140. He raised his eyebrows and said "don't do that". My resting HR can be as low as mid 40's if I check right when I awake. One minute ago it was 54. My BP is good so I just watch how hard I exert myself and if the vision starts to white out (usually when very hot) I drink something cool and relax for a few. Sucks when it happens on a 40 foot double jump on the MX track.
    I owe-therefore I am.

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doncha just love it when a DR says "don't do that"? Hehe - I get that a lot
    Peter_C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast