Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-11, 06:54 PM   #1
bjaspud

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What pants do you wear in cold weather?

I've been riding all summer in shorts and a t-shirt. Now that the weather is starting to cool I am trying to figure out what sort of pants to wear. Jeans are too heavy. What do you wear?
bjaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 07:18 PM   #2
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
If it's in the low 60's I stick with my regular shorts. If it drops into the upper 50s I put a pair of lycra tights on over them. If it gets much cooler than that I wear a pair of polypropylene tights over my shorts.
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 07:20 PM   #3
TacomaSailor

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What cold weather??

when it gets cold enough in the Pacific NW to need something more than shorts and a short sleeve jersey - I move aboard my boat in San Diego and spend the winter in shorts down there.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 07:32 PM   #4
hwycruiser

Bikes:
Track pants over your bike shorts work well. My wife has the Headwind pants from REI and loves them, may get a pair for me.
hwycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 07:33 PM   #5
Badgerjohn
Kittery Maine / NC

Bikes:
Up here in Maine it's long tights with long sleeve polypro shirt, vest, wind/rain shell and whatever else you can find so you don't freeze to death. Studded mtb tires are a must too, for when the road bike gets too hairy. Cap under the helmet or balaclava. Gloves, warm ones. After that who cares. Hypothermia is 3 pedal stokes away. Damn is it that time already??
Badgerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 07:45 PM   #6
rgp332

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, Trek 7300 converted to Road hybrid
Studded MTB tires, WOW ! Thats hard core!!
rgp332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 07:58 PM   #7
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
It depends entirely on how cold is cold.....

over 17℃ (63℉) it's just the jersey and shorts
13℃-17 (55℉-63) I'll add a very light windbreaker on top and the shorts on the bottom.
8℃ - 13 (46℉-55) I'll add some wind resistant rain pants over the shorts
0℃ to 8 (32℉-46) then I'll add some polyester sweat pants and a polyester sweater under the same jacket.
Below 0℃(32℉) then it's trainer time....
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:07 PM   #8
JimTjr

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez 56cm
I don't know, I imagine I'll try sweat pants over my bike shorts, This brings me to another question,,, a VERY PERSONAL one,, do you guys wear underwear under the bike shorts? I have been, don't know if I'd be better without or not? (The leg seam rubs) Also, what kind of sauve or balm do you use for the "Jewels"?
JimTjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:39 PM   #9
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02
Commando.
Chamois Buttr.
david58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:39 PM   #10
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Cold??? Not here.

Try these tips on what to wear as the weather changes. --> http://www.civiacycles.com/whattowear/

I usually don't wear pants. I wear knee warmers or leg warmers.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:51 PM   #11
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Castelli Leggerezza Tight - I'll probably try something like these.

Last edited by teachme; 09-05-11 at 08:55 PM.
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:55 PM   #12
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
do you guys wear underwear under the bike shorts? I have been, don't know if I'd be better without or not? (The leg seam rubs) Also, what kind of sauve or balm do you use for the "Jewels"? Quote:>

Commando is correct but Bag Balm Is much better and cheaper too. I only use it on long rides of over 75 miles and if the weather is hot.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:59 PM   #13
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Bikes:
I was up at a pass at 7300 ft, it was overcast, but I definitely got my first chill since spring. It made me very sad.

I just wear some fleece tights over my bibshorts when it's under 50 F, though I'm thinking of gettin some leg warmers this year.

PS, I'm not over 50, don't know if that matters.
max5480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 09:03 PM   #14
jedde

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
NikeFit tights w/o chamois, usually over some Craft briefs. Loads of other stuff, too. It's like Fall out there tonite, isn't it? Won't be long...
jedde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 09:15 PM   #15
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTjr View Post
I don't know, I imagine I'll try sweat pants over my bike shorts, This brings me to another question,,, a VERY PERSONAL one,, do you guys wear underwear under the bike shorts? I have been, don't know if I'd be better without or not? (The leg seam rubs) Also, what kind of sauve or balm do you use for the "Jewels"?
No underwear under bike shorts. Defeats the purpose. Nothing for short rides. For longer rides if I am experiencing chafing I use either Chamois Butt'r, Bag Balm or Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Creme.

To the original question, the progression is shorts, knee warmers, leg warmers, thin tights, wind front tights. The tights are padless and are worn over shorts. For short casual rides, sweat pants over shorts. I can't remember the temperature cutoffs and really, it's too early to think about it now.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-05-11 at 09:19 PM.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 09:16 PM   #16
jdon

Bikes:
These http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/produc...il-JUN-MER.htm over my regular bibs. I also wear the Baked Alaska LS Jersy from Ground Effect. Awsome winter wear.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 10:25 PM   #17
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, here's another question. With bike shorts on, what do you do when you have to take a leak? With loose shorts on, I can always just pull them to the side in the woods, but with the bike shorts on, I don't feel like dropping my drawers! It's ok if I find a bathroom somewhere, but a lot of times it's not possible.

Right now my rides are about 2 hours, and I can make it, but longer rides will be difficult.

Last thing I need is to be on the Sex Offender list

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
2012 Specialized Crux Disc
My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
gforeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 12:17 AM   #18
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Down to 50 and it is still shorts (or rather bibs)- below 50 and the KNickers come out- winter material and the knees welcome the warmth. Getting near freezing or the cold wet rain and the tights go on. They don't add warmth but they do take the sting out of the cold or wet.

But below 50 and it is the extremities that will start to feel the cold. Hands and feet are my problem so Waterproof/windproof gloves and socks are the order of the day.

But other than hands and feet- it is not the cold that is a major problem- it is the wind. That takes body heat away quicker than anything else. Keep the cooling wind off the body and you will soon warm up.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 12:44 AM   #19
chasm54
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforeman View Post
Okay, here's another question. With bike shorts on, what do you do when you have to take a leak? With loose shorts on, I can always just pull them to the side in the woods, but with the bike shorts on, I don't feel like dropping my drawers! It's ok if I find a bathroom somewhere, but a lot of times it's not possible.

Right now my rides are about 2 hours, and I can make it, but longer rides will be difficult.

Spandex stretches.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 01:00 AM   #20
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
i ride when it's cold...

Recently I did a 131 mile ride that started in the mountains at 8:30AM. It was about 38F and I just used my normal shorts knowing it would rapidly warm up when the sun came out from behind the mountains. Normally at that temp I would put on a pair of thin polypro long johns over my bike shorts. If I am going to go inside some place I may wear them inside the shorts for appearance sake. Thin Patagonia Capilene (polypro by a fancy name) doesn't have much of a seam that bothers me so inside isn't a big deal. I also have a pair of full length bike pants that have windbreak in front and are a stretchy fabric in the back side so they breathe well. When it's too cold for a simple pair of Patagonia thin underwear I switch to the bike pants. Then as it gets colder I put the long underwear under the bike pants. At -20 to -30F I may have two pair of long underwear under the bike pants but I only need that if it's going to be a slow easy ride. If its a good hard ride a single pair of thin long underwear under the bike pants are warm enough for any temp I would ride in as long as I'm exercising hard. At those temps I carry a pair of thick fleece pants to throw on in the event of a breakdown or other trouble because if I stop I need more layers almost immediately.
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 03:10 AM   #21
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Bike shorts and...

Below 65F Kneewarmers

Below 50F Endura Thermolite Bib Tights

Below Freezing Pearl Izumi AmFib Bib Tights

Below 10F Add kneewarmers under my AmFibs
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 04:02 AM   #22
JimTjr

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez 56cm
Thanks all, I kind of thought I was in the wrong wearing tidy whities under my shorts. Some of the discomfort was at the edge of them. I will likely ride down into the 30s or so,, but don't think I'll be out there riding in the negative temps,, not real sure what to expect here in the eastern NC area. I doubt it'll be real close to the temps we saw Missouri.
JimTjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 04:09 AM   #23
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I ride down to zero f, although it doesn't often get that cold here. We might only see one or two days a year down in that range.
I have a pair of Louis Garneau water resistant pants, similar to Gore Tex, that I bought probably 10 years or more ago.
From about 45f down to freezing, I wear just those with bike shorts or padded underliner. Below that, I add a base layer and it's all I need.

WANTED: Dead or broken gearhubs for failure analysis.

Like the shop
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 04:41 AM   #24
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforeman View Post

Pull them down in front.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 06:36 AM   #25
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
It doesn't get that cold here for any length of time to worry about winter cycling clothing. But often it does drop into the 30's for a few hours. My wife got me two pair of Canari riding pants and they work just fine for our winters. If it gets windy on those days, I normally put a pair of sweat pants over the riding pants.

As for the underwear, I don't wear "underwear" but the padding on my first pair of riding shorts becaame very rough after a few washings and I started using UnderArmour boxer style, mesh undergarments to keep from having that "sandpaper feeling." I got so used to wearing them that when I bought my other riding shorts, I continued to use them. They are fairly seamless in the places that matter and they wick really good and have not caused me any problems. Every once in a while I go commando but it just feels funny riding without the UnderArmours.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote