Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What pants do you wear in cold weather?

I've been riding all summer in shorts and a t-shirt. Now that the weather is starting to cool I am trying to figure out what sort of pants to wear. Jeans are too heavy. What do you wear?

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's in the low 60's I stick with my regular shorts. If it drops into the upper 50s I put a pair of lycra tights on over them. If it gets much cooler than that I wear a pair of polypropylene tights over my shorts.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What cold weather??

when it gets cold enough in the Pacific NW to need something more than shorts and a short sleeve jersey - I move aboard my boat in San Diego and spend the winter in shorts down there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Track pants over your bike shorts work well. My wife has the Headwind pants from REI and loves them, may get a pair for me.

Kittery Maine / NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up here in Maine it's long tights with long sleeve polypro shirt, vest, wind/rain shell and whatever else you can find so you don't freeze to death. Studded mtb tires are a must too, for when the road bike gets too hairy. Cap under the helmet or balaclava. Gloves, warm ones. After that who cares. Hypothermia is 3 pedal stokes away. Damn is it that time already??
    1987 Schwinn Circuit
    1995 Scott Mohaka
    2008 Specialized Globe " old farts bike"

Too Much Of Everything Is Just Enough
    Jerry Garcia

My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock, Trek 7300 converted to Road hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Studded MTB tires, WOW ! Thats hard core!!

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends entirely on how cold is cold.....

over 17℃ (63℉) it's just the jersey and shorts
    13℃-17 (55℉-63) I'll add a very light windbreaker on top and the shorts on the bottom.
    8℃ - 13 (46℉-55) I'll add some wind resistant rain pants over the shorts
    0℃ to 8 (32℉-46) then I'll add some polyester sweat pants and a polyester sweater under the same jacket.
    Below 0℃(32℉) then it's trainer time....

My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Allez 56cm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, I imagine I'll try sweat pants over my bike shorts, This brings me to another question,,, a VERY PERSONAL one,, do you guys wear underwear under the bike shorts? I have been, don't know if I'd be better without or not? (The leg seam rubs) Also, what kind of sauve or balm do you use for the "Jewels"?
    Retired UAW, General Motors. Federal Employee with the USAFR. I have worked on the F-4 Phantom, F-15 A-D models, B-2 Stealth Bomber, and now working with the F-15E Strike Eagle.
    My new Bicycle, 2010 Specialized Allez, 56cm. Cateye Strada wireless computer, Speedplay pedals, Profile design aero bars. in the fastest color, RED.
    First "HALF CENTURY" Aug 20th 2011

http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?...ine=1310903096

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commando.
    Chamois Buttr.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold??? Not here.

Try these tips on what to wear as the weather changes. --> http://www.civiacycles.com/whattowear/

I usually don't wear pants. I wear knee warmers or leg warmers.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Castelli Leggerezza Tight - I'll probably try something like these.
    Last edited by teachme; 09-05-11 at 08:55 PM.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you guys wear underwear under the bike shorts? I have been, don't know if I'd be better without or not? (The leg seam rubs) Also, what kind of sauve or balm do you use for the "Jewels"? Quote:>

Commando is correct but Bag Balm Is much better and cheaper too. I only use it on long rides of over 75 miles and if the weather is hot.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was up at a pass at 7300 ft, it was overcast, but I definitely got my first chill since spring. It made me very sad.

I just wear some fleece tights over my bibshorts when it's under 50º F, though I'm thinking of gettin some leg warmers this year.

PS, I'm not over 50, don't know if that matters.
    Pedalroom
    I ride I ride

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NikeFit tights w/o chamois, usually over some Craft briefs. Loads of other stuff, too. It's like Fall out there tonite, isn't it? Won't be long...

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTjr View Post
    I don't know, I imagine I'll try sweat pants over my bike shorts, This brings me to another question,,, a VERY PERSONAL one,, do you guys wear underwear under the bike shorts? I have been, don't know if I'd be better without or not? (The leg seam rubs) Also, what kind of sauve or balm do you use for the "Jewels"?
    No underwear under bike shorts. Defeats the purpose. Nothing for short rides. For longer rides if I am experiencing chafing I use either Chamois Butt'r, Bag Balm or Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Creme.

To the original question, the progression is shorts, knee warmers, leg warmers, thin tights, wind front tights. The tights are padless and are worn over shorts. For short casual rides, sweat pants over shorts. I can't remember the temperature cutoffs and really, it's too early to think about it now.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-05-11 at 09:19 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/produc...il-JUN-MER.htm over my regular bibs. I also wear the Baked Alaska LS Jersy from Ground Effect. Awsome winter wear.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, here's another question. With bike shorts on, what do you do when you have to take a leak? With loose shorts on, I can always just pull them to the side in the woods, but with the bike shorts on, I don't feel like dropping my drawers! It's ok if I find a bathroom somewhere, but a lot of times it's not possible.

Right now my rides are about 2 hours, and I can make it, but longer rides will be difficult.

Last thing I need is to be on the Sex Offender list
    Gary F.

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down to 50 and it is still shorts (or rather bibs)- below 50 and the KNickers come out- winter material and the knees welcome the warmth. Getting near freezing or the cold wet rain and the tights go on. They don't add warmth but they do take the sting out of the cold or wet.

But below 50 and it is the extremities that will start to feel the cold. Hands and feet are my problem so Waterproof/windproof gloves and socks are the order of the day.

But other than hands and feet- it is not the cold that is a major problem- it is the wind. That takes body heat away quicker than anything else. Keep the cooling wind off the body and you will soon warm up.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gforeman View Post
    Okay, here's another question. With bike shorts on, what do you do when you have to take a leak? With loose shorts on, I can always just pull them to the side in the woods, but with the bike shorts on, I don't feel like dropping my drawers! It's ok if I find a bathroom somewhere, but a lot of times it's not possible.

Right now my rides are about 2 hours, and I can make it, but longer rides will be difficult.

Spandex stretches.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i ride when it's cold...

Recently I did a 131 mile ride that started in the mountains at 8:30AM. It was about 38F and I just used my normal shorts knowing it would rapidly warm up when the sun came out from behind the mountains. Normally at that temp I would put on a pair of thin polypro long johns over my bike shorts. If I am going to go inside some place I may wear them inside the shorts for appearance sake. Thin Patagonia Capilene (polypro by a fancy name) doesn't have much of a seam that bothers me so inside isn't a big deal. I also have a pair of full length bike pants that have windbreak in front and are a stretchy fabric in the back side so they breathe well. When it's too cold for a simple pair of Patagonia thin underwear I switch to the bike pants. Then as it gets colder I put the long underwear under the bike pants. At -20 to -30F I may have two pair of long underwear under the bike pants but I only need that if it's going to be a slow easy ride. If its a good hard ride a single pair of thin long underwear under the bike pants are warm enough for any temp I would ride in as long as I'm exercising hard. At those temps I carry a pair of thick fleece pants to throw on in the event of a breakdown or other trouble because if I stop I need more layers almost immediately.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike shorts and...

Below 65°F Kneewarmers

Below 50°F Endura Thermolite Bib Tights

Below Freezing Pearl Izumi AmFib Bib Tights

Below 10°F Add kneewarmers under my AmFibs
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Allez 56cm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, I kind of thought I was in the wrong wearing tidy whities under my shorts. Some of the discomfort was at the edge of them. I will likely ride down into the 30s or so,, but don't think I'll be out there riding in the negative temps,, not real sure what to expect here in the eastern NC area. I doubt it'll be real close to the temps we saw Missouri.
    Retired UAW, General Motors. Federal Employee with the USAFR. I have worked on the F-4 Phantom, F-15 A-D models, B-2 Stealth Bomber, and now working with the F-15E Strike Eagle.
    My new Bicycle, 2010 Specialized Allez, 56cm. Cateye Strada wireless computer, Speedplay pedals, Profile design aero bars. in the fastest color, RED.
    First "HALF CENTURY" Aug 20th 2011

http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?...ine=1310903096

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride down to zero f, although it doesn't often get that cold here. We might only see one or two days a year down in that range.
    I have a pair of Louis Garneau water resistant pants, similar to Gore Tex, that I bought probably 10 years or more ago.
    From about 45f down to freezing, I wear just those with bike shorts or padded underliner. Below that, I add a base layer and it's all I need.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gforeman View Post

Pull them down in front.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't get that cold here for any length of time to worry about winter cycling clothing. But often it does drop into the 30's for a few hours. My wife got me two pair of Canari riding pants and they work just fine for our winters. If it gets windy on those days, I normally put a pair of sweat pants over the riding pants.

As for the underwear, I don't wear "underwear" but the padding on my first pair of riding shorts becaame very rough after a few washings and I started using UnderArmour boxer style, mesh undergarments to keep from having that "sandpaper feeling." I got so used to wearing them that when I bought my other riding shorts, I continued to use them. They are fairly seamless in the places that matter and they wick really good and have not caused me any problems. Every once in a while I go commando but it just feels funny riding without the UnderArmours.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast