Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 mile TT Strategy

I am going to try a 10 mile TT this weekend,flat course out and back. Wanted to know what strategys work for others. Start hard then settle into something close to red line I think I can keep up? Start slower and continue to ramp up? Save a sprint for the last mile? Watch the speedo and try to keep constant speed? Ignore the speedo and feel for the red line? I dont have a heart rate monitor. Being my first one I'm sure it will be hard to really follow a plan but I'd like to try.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A local LBS holds a 10 mi. out-and-back every other week, from March until late Sept.

It's pancake-flat, a few turns, then the turn-around.

About 5 yrs. ago I asked for advice for an 18 mi. TT I was attempting as my first race. I received excellent advice that to this day I utilize.

Divide the ride into 3rds. You'll be hot the first few minutes after you launch; dial it in and get yourself into your rhythm.

The second third ramp up somewhat; either HR or RPM. I know my RPM so I use cadence as my guide.

The 3rd 3rd you'll be suffering big-time, so be ready for that. Anything you've held back you'll give up now. Go hard, strong, and know that you have what it takes to finish strong. When you see the "1 K" sign just amp it up and give it all you've got.

My best time for the 10 mi. is 25:10. I'm 56 and fairly fit (ahem). My goal is a sub-25 min., and I have 2 more chances to achieve that.

Good luck, ride strong, have fun! Oh, and suffer.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have good meal the night before- get to bed late and wake up so late that you miss it.

I am not one of those that can sprint from the start when cold- so some Warming up will be in order. I ride with a Heart monitor but if you don't then you will know when you are nearing your limit. Don't exceed this too early but as Redrider says-Whatever you have got left in the last mile--USE IT.

And the only TT I have ever done was a "FUN" one. 3 loops of a 1 mile course and first half was uphill and 2nd was down. Not enough warm up so I suffered for 2 3/4 miles. Think I rested a bit on the first downhill but flat out the rest of the time. Funnily enough by the end I was coming in so may have been able to do a few more laps. Just glad I didn't.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1slowride, Ride around for at least 30 minutes to get everything warmed up and keep moving around until you start the TT. Be sure to be hydrated before the TT. My stratagy is generally start off at about 90% and slowly ramp up the speed. The last K gets everything I have left in the tank.

Brad

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to visit this site: http://improvecycling.com/index.php/...ing/time-trial
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red Rider gives great advice in breaking the race into thirds. Make sure you don't let adrenaline put you into a deep hole at the start since once you are cooked it's hard to recover in a short race. I would not rely on the speedometer as a pacing tool. If there is wind or hills you can overdo or under do the effort by watching speed. Know the course! Are there mile markers, hills, wind protected sections? The worst thing is to hold back only to finish up riding down a hill or not expecting to finish up on a hill into the wind. Work just as hard riding down hill as on the flats and donít kill yourself riding up hills.

I think it is very important to have a great warmup prior to the race. The warmup my take up to 1 hr with some Z4 intervals and even some short Z5 work to really get the systems working. I ride on my trainer for most of my warmup prior to TT's.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key to doing TTs is knowing oneself. Since this is your first one, it will be a total learning experience but the good news is that you will have a personal best. Everyone overcooks the start of their first TT. The reason is that when you get to the line and listen to the countdown, you will get an adrenalin surge. It will be stupid easy to make a lot of power for about a couple of minutes. However, you will go deep into oxygen debt and not know it. That surge of power will cost you minutes at the end.

The other aspect of racing is the day before. I like to do a pre-race ride where my legs get some higher level of effort. So I like a couple of short z4 and z5 efforts the day before and practice a couple of standing starts and turn arounds.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So did the TT. 29.44. I was hoping to do better then 30 so a small victory. Tried Red Riders approach. Worked on settling down first 1/3. Took it up second third and leaned on it last 1/3. My speedo gave up the ghost yesterday, tweaking and a new battery didnt fix it. So I was guessing at speed and where the thirds were. The last third was probably really a quarter and I think I left something on the table. Be interesting see how I do any better with it working.
    Thanks for all the advice, hopefully this was just the first of many TTs

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My "FIT" and "YOUNG" neighbour started a few TT's recently just to see what they were like. Respectable Road bike not set up in any way for TT's and a 10 miler. It would not be flat round here but it is a small local club that does TT's on the local back roads once a week. His first time out and he did it it in 29:10. Second time out and he managed 29:15 with a crosswind.

So if an old Git like you can manage 29:44 then I don't think you are doing that bad. Well done.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

The Mississippi Flash triggerracing's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hardrock MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My calculator figures that at 20.179 mph. Impressive for your first time out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are serious about your times, learn to ride in the drops the whole time, for me my thighs are just touching the lower part of my ribs...most of the aero drag is from the rider not the bike of wheels