Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Car for Biking

I currently have a Dodge Quad Pick Up. I like the PU for biking because I have a cover for the bed and I can put my bike in the bed and go.

I am thinking about getting a car maybe some kind of cross over vehicle. I would like a car that I can put the bike in the rear with my gear. I don't care if I have to take off the front tire.

I don't want to have to use a bike rake all of the time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

buddy

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different vehicles over here as they are generrally a lot smaller but I have an MPV. High roof and 5 seater with an extra 2 occasional in the trunk space. I regularly travel 100 miles with two bikes on the rear rack and two bikes inside. Even done a holiday involving 2,000 miles travelling with the rear seats folded down and 2 bikes inside and all the holiday luggage. And the return trip involved an extra 12 cartons of wine and plenty of beers for home use.

dover.jpg

This is to show the type of car but being American- you will have something better.

Edit
    Been looking for this but posted on 50+ by someone else. Not certain if we have an affluent member but this was his suggestion for transporting bikes

Attachment 218002
    Last edited by stapfam; 09-08-11 at 02:36 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honda Element
    Craig in Indy

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I currently have a Dodge Quad Pick Up. I like the PU for biking because I have a cover for the bed and I can put my bike in the bed and go.

I am thinking about getting a car maybe some kind of cross over vehicle. I would like a car that I can put the bike in the rear with my gear. I don't care if I have to take off the front tire.

I don't want to have to use a bike rake all of the time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

buddy
    Simple really......

Buy a small utility trailer for the bikes then buy any car/truck/suv you want.
    http://www.etrailer.com/Trailers/Buf.../BTTRMB12.html

if that's not what you want them consider a trailer hitch cargo carrier........
    http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-...ies/63153.html
    Last edited by Nightshade; 09-08-11 at 02:31 PM.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a hatchback like a Mazda 3, Subuaru Impreza, etc. You can get a road bike in them by taking the front wheel off (unless you're really tall).
    I can get two bikes, another person and our gear into a Mazda 3. Unless you need more room for another reason, like kids, you don't need a crossover to haul bikes.

The cars I listed also come in high performance turbo versions.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I don't care if I have to take off the front tire.
    It's going to be really strange driving your car without a front tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, a Chrysler minivan has proved just great for my and my wife's bike, not needing to take off the front tire, and first leaning to the side as I load one at a time and then standing the bike up vertically pointing forward. I have gotten 4 bikes in this way.

This also allows for all the other stuff we bring along on a car trip, and keeps the bikes relatively safe and "locked in."
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-08-11 at 04:57 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Toyota Prius, the rear seat folds down, take my from wheel off of the bike and the bike fits with room to spare. And it gets 48 miles per gallon.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta agree with Eric, I am planning on getting an impreza as soon as I graduate. I was originally wanting a small 2 seated coupe until my outdoors man addiction started growing. Now I want to be able to bike, rock climb, kayak, and camp. And you can't use a miata to do all that. I'm planning on getting the 5 door STI, and putting a hitch on it for a bike rack and top rails for camping gear and a small kayak.

Just my opinion. Get whatever you like and fits you both physically and financially.
    infinitesimal - The amount of actual performance improvement gained from most cycling expenditures.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr11 View Post
    AMish hardtail = An all-black bike with no rear-suspension that is intended to be ridden on farms. It also has the ability to bunnyhop over piles of horse poop. Most also have bashguards because showing up to church with a pant leg that got ripped up by your chain is frowned upon.

My Bikes
    '87 Kestrel 200sc, '98 GT Edge Aero, '92 Cannondale R900, Snyder Cycles track bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acura Integra/RSX

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my wifes RAV4 but removing front tires, I can put 2 bikes + travel gear for a weekend inside my Liberty. Fugly, but the Mazda 5 looks like a good bike carrier inside.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My PT Cruiser does the job for me.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    I have a Toyota Prius, the rear seat folds down, take my from wheel off of the bike and the bike fits with room to spare. And it gets 48 miles per gallon.
    I have a Prius too. But I usually don't remove the front wheel on my 58cm bikes. I do have to remove the front wheel on my 29er though to fit inside the car. I also have a receiver hitch on the car that supports my Yakima rack and up to 3 mtbs. The rear rack keeps the bikes out of the wind as much as possible so the mpg stays high. 2006 Prius with 113K miles. It's been flawless

Last edited by BikeWNC; 09-08-11 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added pic
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Honda CRV in very small outside and incredibly large inside. I have taken three (tall) bikes and put them in the back upright with the front wheels removed. I did remove one of the rear seats to accomplish this but the bikes are safe from thieves and I don't worry about damage to the bikes as I would if they were laid down.

Aside from being a primo bike carrier, it is an outstanding car. It's safe, it's clean, it rides nice and it doesn't cost a lot to own.

My Bikes
    Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2005 Ford Escape that I picked up a couple of years ago. It's another small crossover, and was available with 2WD only and a stick shift, which is difficult to find on some types of crossovers. I fit 2 bikes inside (front wheels off) with 2 people in the front seats, and there's room left for cargo. Although it's not a true SUV, it has a good amount of ground clearance for mild off roading. The only drawback I've found is that first and reverse gears on the manual aren't as low of a ratio as I'd like, but that's not a serious problem.

A smaller vehicle that works really well for carrying bikes is the 2004-2008 Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. I rented these a couple of times. The rear seat folds completely flat to make a durable cargo carrying surface. The newer Matrix may work also, but I'm less familiar with it.
    Last edited by rnorris; 09-08-11 at 05:11 PM.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK this thread is interesting to me... I currently own and drive a 1997 Ford Explorer 2 dr. Sport - to me, best car/SUV ever for bicycles. I can fit 3 bikes (front wheel off) and 3 passengers inside the car, no hitch needed.

But the car - actually a real SUV, is getting old and I am trying to find a replacement. the current crossovers that are attempting to pass as SUVs are totally worthless. It's almost impossible to get one bike in flat on its side. Plus with 3 row seating its a hassle to get the bed down flat. I look and look and so far, my old Explorer is still the best thing out there.

BTW looked at the 2011/2012 Escape, bed no longer folds down flat... sucks.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycles inside a vehicle are not safe.
    Thieves knocked a window out and took a favorite bike in broad daylight with people watching from a nearby restaurant. Have had much better luck with a rack locked to the vehicle and the bike locked to the rack.
    Have had thieves break into cars without leaving a mark. Once they left the lock mechanism hanging out the hole another time they got into a car with an electronic key.
    Pivot 5.7
    Rawland Drakkar 650B love it with 38mm Soma tires
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Ultegra
    Santana Fusion Tandem
    2010 Specialized TriCross
    Challenge Concept Trike
    One knee scoped so far.

Homophobia is so gay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Colorado is going to the hoodlums.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on a group ride in SoCal, and the Specialized rep for the region was also on the ride (and paid for bagels and such for everyone). He mentioned that he fits 6 bikes in his Scion. He and his wife recently bought a second, bigger, car, but it doesn't fit as many bikes. I've noticed quite a few Scions at ride meet points. A friend has one and likes it.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAS View Post
    Bicycles inside a vehicle are not safe.
    Thieves knocked a window out and took a favorite bike in broad daylight with people watching from a nearby restaurant. Have had much better luck with a rack locked to the vehicle and the bike locked to the rack.
    Have had thieves break into cars without leaving a mark. Once they left the lock mechanism hanging out the hole another time they got into a car with an electronic key.
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Wow, Colorado is going to the hoodlums.

I used to drive to a shopping center (Cherry Creek Shopping Center in Denver) and then commuted 18 miles to Westminster. One day I left my wife's old Specialized HR Mtn Bike in the back of the car while I commuted. When I returned, the rear window had been broken in an attempt to get a $300 bike. They didn't get the bike, but the window was $700.

So, yes, I agree that bikes are not totally safe in a car/van. OTOH, I don't believe they are safe anywhere, and it is more a matter of luck and chance as to when a theft attempt is made or not.

At least my bikes are out of the weather, and don't reduce my gas mileage - which helps to pay for my deductible on the rear window.

To claim anything is safe (or even safer) is erroneous, IMHO.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2003 Corvette convertible.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    2003 Corvette convertible.

The crisis is probably over. You can sell it now.

DEK
    My Bikes
    '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Dodge Magnum and can easily put my bike inside without taking any wheels off. However, I prefer to use my bike rack on the back. I have it on in such a way so I can still open the hatch. Works out very well.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Toyota Yaris Hatchback. The back seat folds down and my bike fits nicely into it without removing the front wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best car for biking? My truck.
    "Watch out for giants; they are boorish fools with tongues wagging, drunk upon their own words.
    They will try to teach you a lesson if given the chance, and you will stumble over their stinking feet."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prius' are best for biking - either put your bike in the trunk with the front wheel off or get a hitch or use a hitch rack as I do, and of course enjoy the great gas mileage (I'm always amazed at all the SUV's parked at bike events, not good drivers and not especially comfortable, either). Actually the best ever bike car ever was a 1984 Civic wagon, or shuttle as known in other locales. It took me and my bike (and others') for over 150k miles before it was retired, with very little maintenance.

I believe a larger cargo version of the Prius is about to come to market in the US.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast