Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why would anyone ride on a busy road?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 09:34 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5466 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts

I read threads where cyclists are fighting with cars on busy roads, cars get backed up, riders get buzzed and cussed at. To me that doesn't sound like fun. I ride for fun and enjoyment. I personally won't ride on a road if there is too much traffic.
Why would anyone do that?
Old 09-08-11, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because if I didn't I couldn't ride - I have to climb on busy roads to get where I need to go. Not as fun as out in the country, but it's how I get to ride.
Old 09-08-11, 09:44 PM

Bikes: Secteur, Camber, Trek 930

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes there's just no getting around it, whether in the heart of downtown, or the road up Mount Evans.
Old 09-08-11, 09:51 PM

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix, a Sun EZ-1 Recumbent (90's vintage), Sun Sport recumbent 2020, 6KUBikes kit bike converted to e-bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
When I ride into Springfield from our place -we're about 8 miles north of town- the only road that crosses the Sangamon River near us is IL Route 29. Fortunately it has a wide paved shoulder now. The greatest problems along there are blown tires that land on the shoulder and/or road kill. There is a county road that crosses the river but it is much further west and would triple the riding distance.

So far when commuting to work I have not had any problems along 29. The most important thing to me is to be seen. I always wear a bright shirt or vest and use lights front and rear depending on the time of year.

The Sangamon Valley Trail, which just opened west of town will eventually cross the river over the old B & O RR bridge, about 2 miles west of our house. The plans are being worked on now, but the funding of the construction is anyone's guess!
Old 09-08-11, 09:52 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here you go:

Old 09-08-11, 10:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We live at the foothills so we either drive down on weekends to the trail where we can get in 60 traffic free miles or we ride up into the hills and mountains on lightly traveled roads. Sometimes we may only see 10 cars. I used to ride in town at night to avoid traffic but lately, the traffic seems to be heavy even at night.

Our trail is 60 miles round trip. Not the skater, stroller, dog walker, jogger mess many make trails out to be. If I can get 60 miles in but have to slow down for 10 seconds 3 times during my ride for a jogger, doesn't bother me at all.

Old 09-08-11, 10:09 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
I ride on the freeway emergency lane so cars don't get backed up.
Old 09-08-11, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We live in a society where people are second class citizens. Sad state...
Old 09-08-11, 11:18 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple need. I've ridden on the edge of a freeway for very short distance as there was no alternative.
Old 09-08-11, 11:32 PM
Lurking

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Imola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I read threads where cyclists are fighting with cars on busy roads, cars get backed up, riders get buzzed and cussed at. To me that doesn't sound like fun. I ride for fun and enjoyment. I personally won't ride on a road if there is too much traffic.
I have no choice but to ride in the lane when leaving the house, or coming back to the house. The road is 6 lanes, posted 55 MPH, no shoulder, and if the CHP sees you on the narrow sidewalk, they will stop you, tell you no riding on the sidewalk in the County area. One side of the hill is 8% grade, and the other side is 7%, so if your going up hill you are going way slower than traffic, the road is not straight, and they placed those nice planters as a center divider with tall plants to limit visibility even more. CHP does not enforce the speed limit, just riding on the sidewalk due to complaints, so traffic is really going 60-70 MPH. I hate riding there, don't want to be the next bug splat on someone else's windshield.
Old 09-09-11, 12:03 AM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bike is my transportation. If I need to go somewhere, and a busy road is the only feasible route, then I'll be riding on it. I'd prefer not to deal with so much traffic, but sometimes there isn't another option.
Old 09-09-11, 12:39 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why would anyone not? I live in not-very-big city, but it part of a larger conurbation. There are about 1.2 million people living within a 10 mile radius of my house. I ride everywhere. It's no problem. Occasionally drivers are idiots, but it's occasional. And the dangers are vastly overstated. Cycling is very safe, even on highways.

I spent several weeks riding in Canada and the States earlier this year. I was amazed at how little traffic there was on most of your highways, compared with what I'm used to in the UK. HTFU.
Old 09-09-11, 01:07 AM

Bikes: Viner, Klein, Caad9, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To get to the other side
Old 09-09-11, 03:56 AM

Bikes: Rans Fusion, Rans Cruz, '93 Specialized Stumpjumper, "72 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because that's where some of us live, obviously.
Old 09-09-11, 04:02 AM

Bikes: Giant XTC 1 SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a difference between not having a choice and having a choice. Sometimes there is no way around it. BUT, if there is, common sense should kick in.
Earlier this year I was driving into Little Rock from the west. Traffic backed up in my lane. After awhile I found out why. Guy on bicycle riding in right hand lane. He had plenty of other routes to ride on. But he chose to ride down Hy 10/Cantrell and back up traffic. Wanted to stop car, drag him off bike and deliver swift kick to rear end. Because that was what he was. A Horse's rear-end!
Old 09-09-11, 04:34 AM

Bikes: Colnago CX-1 Record 11sp. Carbon Epic expert 29er, Claud Butler Dalesman. Proflex X-px Works, Cougar 653. KHS Montana Pro, Hercules Alassio. Ammoco Monte Carlo F/SS. Corratec Superbow Fun 29er. Claud Butler Midas. Kenisis T2. Peugeot Perthus.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To get to work. If your attitude/technique is right it's safe and even fun.
Old 09-09-11, 04:38 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
To get to the other side........ of town.

I grew up riding major streets in Florida. So I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to traffic.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-09-11, 04:45 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Deltarebel
There is a difference between not having a choice and having a choice. Sometimes there is no way around it. BUT, if there is, common sense should kick in.
Earlier this year I was driving into Little Rock from the west. Traffic backed up in my lane. After awhile I found out why. Guy on bicycle riding in right hand lane. He had plenty of other routes to ride on. But he chose to ride down Hy 10/Cantrell and back up traffic. Wanted to stop car, drag him off bike and deliver swift kick to rear end. Because that was what he was. A Horse's rear-end!
There's room enough on Cantrell for both cars and bikes. I can't judge about his riding.

What other routes would he have to ride on? The bike path? Markham? 12th Street? Asher? 65th Street? Baseline? None of those are especially close by, nor would they get the cyclist to his probable destination of Hillcrest. Any alternatives require miles of hills. I think I sense a bit of gasoline-fume-induced road-rage.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-09-11, 04:56 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some of you must have a different definition of "freeway" from mine. Where I grew up, freeway = interstate, and that's not legal, regardless of what part of it you're on.
Old 09-09-11, 05:17 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To get to work. If you ride in a city, pretty much all the roads are busy. Often, you'll be the one passing the cars .
Old 09-09-11, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
He had plenty of other routes to ride on.
As do the cars, plain and simple.
Old 09-09-11, 05:25 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We have a few busy roads round here and most of them have a cycle "Friendly" lined off section- or a separate bike path. On my 30 mile trip from work to home there are bike lanes on the roads in Brighton on the busy main road out of town. Or there would be if cars were not parked on it to save shoppers from walking too far. Then on the busy A27 there is a separate bike path alongside the road---So why Do I see the odd idiot cyclist riding on this busy section of road in Rush Hour? Beats me.

Then a bit further on and still on the busy A27 the road narrows- still a laned off area for cyclists but then it suddenly stops. No sidewalk- narrow section of road and a curve in the road. Rarely see cycles here except for serious riders in single file and eyes in the back of their head. And it is like that for 10 miles or so.

Britain is getting more Cycle conscious and bike lanes and separate tracks are springing up all over- but sometimes necessity means you have to fight with the traffic.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-09-11, 05:43 AM

Bikes: Colnago CX-1 Record 11sp. Carbon Epic expert 29er, Claud Butler Dalesman. Proflex X-px Works, Cougar 653. KHS Montana Pro, Hercules Alassio. Ammoco Monte Carlo F/SS. Corratec Superbow Fun 29er. Claud Butler Midas. Kenisis T2. Peugeot Perthus.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never seen a cycle lane/path following the same route as a road that i wanted to use in preference to the road, even in busy conditions.
Old 09-09-11, 05:44 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Los Angeles swimming with the sharks is just part of it all...
Old 09-09-11, 05:51 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
Some of you must have a different definition of "freeway" from mine. Where I grew up, freeway = interstate, and that's not legal, regardless of what part of it you're on.
Wrong, wrong, wrong

Continuous misconstruing of the facts and too many "Urban legends" on this issue.

In many, many parts of the country traveling by bicycle on interstates (i.e., I-25) is entirely legal. There are hundreds of miles of bicycle-allowed freeway lanes, including about 100+ in Colorado.

Simply stated, if there is no other decent way to get from point A to point B, then freeway travel by bicycle is allowed. In much of the remote west, the Freeway (interstate) is the only decent way (or in some instances, the ONLY way).

I.e., Pueblo to Trinidad in CO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.