My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Rack Wheel Fork Question

I've got a wheel fork rack like this:

which whistles between 60 and 65 MPH. One solution is to tilt it back. I actually tilt it so far that the wheel touches the car roof, which has the benefit of keeping it from spinning.

I don't see any problem with this, do you?

An alternative solution would be to use duct tape to smooth the edges of the fork, so that the wind passes smoothly over it.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm deaf (according to my wife) so never hear a whistle. I never use these things as they wobble at high speed and I worry the quick release will release. I usually just put the F wheel in the car.

Only time I use it is when I go camping and have no room in the car for the F wheel. I then place the fork unit as close as possible to the bike and after placing the wheel in the mount, I velcro strap the wheel to the bike, as well as looping the cable lock thru frame, wheel and carrier.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try to keep the rim from touching the roof just to avoid scratches. I have the same rack and fork mount for front wheel. I simply angle it back and use a bungee cord through the wheel to keep it from spinning. Or, if I know I have to be away from the car for more than a minute with the bike up top, I run a lock cable through the frame and front wheel. I also have the front quick release lock for the bike itself on the rack.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn up the music and the whistling will cease to be a problem.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer