Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preparing for retirement

With luck and if Finances don't take another drop--- I will retire next year. All that spare time on my hands and hopefully enough money to live on to make it stress free. It will make a big change in my lifestyle but I have a big enough garden to keep me occupied and a couple of grandchildren that are going to say I will not be sitting around lazing.

One of the things will be that I will have more time to ride and I am going to make certain that the bikes I ride will be respectable. I may have sufficient funds to get one more decent bike- not that I need it as the current ones are good.

But one bike I will definitely need is a Beater bike. I do not intend to drive a car and already have taken it off the road to save expense. The wife has a car so we will not be carless.

So been looking at what that beater bike will have to be. First of all of respectable quality but not cost a fortune. Able to take a pannier rack for the local shopping trips and possibly a trailer for weekly shopping. I won't be doing much offroad so it will have to be a road bike- whether race or fitness style. So dead easy really- just got to find one.

No Craigs list over here so I have looking on E-Bay. Did you realise that a 6 Year old OCR3 that cost $600 when new is now worth $750 because it has had a couple of upgrades to make it go faster? I didn't--So I will have to kep looking. Something may turn up.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the prospect of retirement. I'm still 10 to 12 years away from my retirement. I think its great you are planning to go carless, that will be condusive to good health so you can enjoy those grandchildren for many years.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy your retirement Stapfam, I have certainly been enjoying mine. My beater is a ten year old Specialized Crossroads: nice enough to ride around town but not a major loss if stolen. Lately I have been using DC's Bikeshare program for most around town trips -- very convenient and no worry about leaving the bike vulnerable.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have less time for everything during retirement. I don't know how I ever found time to work. But, I like being busy, as I suspect you do also. I spend an awful lot of time on state and national advocacy on disability issues. Then my singing group, my exercises other than bicycling, some travel, etc., etc. You will have a great time.

I have a Windsor Leeds (road bike) which I got on EBay brand new for $285 as my beater bike. It has panniers, lights, etc. It is Sora, 24 speed. Not fancy - on purpose - and definitely does the job.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-11-11 at 07:58 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your pending retirement. I'm 54, so I have a ways to go. I'm also eyeing a car-free existence, mostly to save on expenses. Fuel, insurance, fees, and overall worry about the blasted thing, all adds up. I definitely admire and respect people who are able to go car-free.

As far as a beater bike, I would go for something reliable and simple, such as single speed. The Raleigh One-Way would be one I would consider.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a Surly Big Dummy would be the ultimate beater bike. I took early retirement as soon as I turned 50. Best decision I ever made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on ya, Stapfam. As I always say, "if I'd known how much I was going to like retirement...I would have retired at 21".

I've been retired for 17 years now and still have bad dreams.

My Bikes
    1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I've been retired for 17 years now and still have bad dreams.
    Yikes, I'm looking at retirement a year from now and one of the things I've been hoping for is to stop having those dreams! But even if they don't stop, I'm guessing that kissing the job goodbye will have more than enough going for it anyway.

One pending issue is what to do with the bike that presently resides in my office. Live in an apartment so storage space is at a premium...

My Bikes
    Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I semi retired at 59 six years ago and our 11 year old car just past the 70,000 mile mark so I speak from retired, care lite, experience.

A 1990s, steel, no suspension MB with 1.25" street slicks and a rack is a perfect utility bike.

With a rack you can carry stuff, add panniers, and you can carry more stuff, and add a back pack, and you have a week's groceries. I've tried it and I wouldn't use with a bike with road bars to carry a lot of weight in a back pack again.

The more beat looking the beater, the better as it's less likely to be stolen. A little rust and some electrical tape wrapped on the grips for effect makes it safer.

Mine is a 1993 KHS Montana Comp which makes a lot eight mile round trips to the supermarket and 16 miles round trips to the best iced coffee in the area.

This also saves wear and tear on our road bikes, and, even locked, I don't like to let them out of our sight.

Mine:

Old Blue -- Mid 80s Vitus 979
    The Rat -- an early 90s KHS Montana Comp converted to a utility bike. with 90 psi, 1.25 inch tires

Wife’s

Mid 80s Ciocc Mokba 80.
    90s Giant mountain bike converted to a utility bike. with 90 psi, 1.25 inch tires

We have had two, new Lynskey Sportives on order since June. which will be our first new road bikes in almost 30 years.

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what the used bike market is like where you are, but a new bike from someplace like Bikesdirect would be fairly cheap. If the bike is to be a beater, you won't need all top quality components. Maybe even a department store bike would do. I knew someone who peddaled a Huffy across the USA with no problems.

Good luck with your retirement. It is a different way of life altogether than what you were probably used to. I love being retired and never really realized how much I disliked having a job until I retired. You're your own man now. You can do what you please when you please. Again, good luck.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    With luck and if Finances don't take another drop--- I will retire next year. All that spare time on my hands and hopefully enough money to live on to make it stress free. It will make a big change in my lifestyle but I have a big enough garden to keep me occupied and a couple of grandchildren that are going to say I will not be sitting around lazing.

One of the things will be that I will have more time to ride and I am going to make certain that the bikes I ride will be respectable. I may have sufficient funds to get one more decent bike- not that I need it as the current ones are good.

But one bike I will definitely need is a Beater bike. I do not intend to drive a car and already have taken it off the road to save expense. The wife has a car so we will not be carless.

So been looking at what that beater bike will have to be. First of all of respectable quality but not cost a fortune. Able to take a pannier rack for the local shopping trips and possibly a trailer for weekly shopping. I won't be doing much offroad so it will have to be a road bike- whether race or fitness style. So dead easy really- just got to find one.

No Craigs list over here so I have looking on E-Bay. Did you realise that a 6 Year old OCR3 that cost $600 when new is now worth $750 because it has had a couple of upgrades to make it go faster? I didn't--So I will have to kep looking. Something may turn up.
    I have a 2003 Specialized Sirrus with a triple. I will give it to you if you are interested in getting it shipped to the UK. It was tuned up last year. It has a large frame ( I am guessing 56cm). I will take a photo if you are interested.

I hope you will really enjoy your retirement. I think I will enjoy mine in 5 or 6 years. I am blessed that I am still enjoying my work. I would retire today if I didn't. I am eligible for Social Security.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think of it as retirement but rather the freedom to be exceeding picky about the jobs you accept.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, S-Works Epic, Bianchi Speciale, Tricross Expert
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a Kona Sutra? Heavy and a triple but should be a good utility bike.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...utra-08-29159/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Don't think of it as retirement but rather the freedom to be exceeding picky about the jobs you accept.
    lol

Not sure to what extent you're being literal (maybe not at all). I'll take it literally myself: my ideal of retirement (which may happen next year) would be to take on the occasional, very interesting piece of consulting work (drug discovery/development). Otherwise I expect to be playing golf, biking and flying.

I don't have an answer to the OP's question. I just bought a MTB partly in anticipation of a retirement need. Time to learn where the trails are in north San Diego county, then maybe further afield.

hmmmm .... just realized something: what I might need next would be a folding MTB or hybrid, something I can stuff in the small compartment in back of a Cessna. Small wheels would be good, but lots of gears and front suspension. Any ideas anyone? (I'll run a search of course)

OP: apologies for not having an answer.
    Last edited by ChasH; 09-11-11 at 10:19 AM.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear about your retirement plans. I was there once (retired at 61) until I got an offer to go back to work that I couldn't refuse. I am also planning on my final retirement in June, when the wife retires. It was great being retired. I'm sure that you will enjoy every minute of it, especially more time with the grandkids. I also plan on increasing the riding after June, except where I live, it is really hard to go without a vehicle, especially since we need a truck to haul my wife's recumbent trike. Unless we are riding in a group of riders, I would never let her ride that on the highway with the crazies we have driving down here. And good luck finding yet another bike.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Stapfam. How far do you have to ride to go shopping? I got a small trailer that I hook to a 2000 Trek MTB for shopping and a rack and rack bag for small runs. Topeak makes a rack bag with expandable bags that unzip when you need the extra space and fold into a side pouch when you don't.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retirement is having nothing in particular to do and having all day to do it in !!

Enjoy!!!
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your pending retirement. I still have five years, but will probably continue on past that if my satellite is still flying. The trailer sounds like a great idea. And hooked to a non-suspension MTB.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    I have a 2003 Specialized Sirrus with a triple. I will give it to you if you are interested in getting it shipped to the UK. It was tuned up last year. It has a large frame ( I am guessing 56cm). I will take a photo if you are interested.

I hope you will really enjoy your retirement. I think I will enjoy mine in 5 or 6 years. I am blessed that I am still enjoying my work. I would retire today if I didn't. I am eligible for Social Security.
    Thanks for the offer but the frame would be a bit too large for me--I am only a shortie. but the Sirrus is one of the bikes I am keeping my eyes open for.

I do not have to retire at 65 and the pensions I get will make it so that I can live. Problem is the amount of capital behind me in case the roof needs repair or the boiler (Central heating-not the wife) goes on the blink or N+1 rears its head. I did have that covered till the Financial crisis that wiped out my "safe" shares in two banks that went bust. I am looking to work on till the end of March and then see how much money is in the bank-- Or rather under the bed as I think that will be safer.

But already having offers from neighbours to sort their garden-paint their house or one mad fool wants a swimming pool and decking like mine. And I know the Company will need me back to sort out the problems I will be leaving them when I depart
    Last edited by stapfam; 09-11-11 at 11:51 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pobble.808 View Post
    Yikes, I'm looking at retirement a year from now and one of the things I've been hoping for is to stop having those dreams! But even if they don't stop, I'm guessing that kissing the job goodbye will have more than enough going for it anyway.

One pending issue is what to do with the bike that presently resides in my office. Live in an apartment so storage space is at a premium...
    True. I didn't mean to freak anyone out. The good news is: the relief you feel when you wake up.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend a touring bike like a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Next year Surly will offer a disc brake version with either 700c or with 26 inch wheels. You could fit a fat tire like the 2 inch Schwalbe Big Apple on the 26 inch wheels and go almost anywhere with the bike. The Long Haul Trucker is also designed as a touring bike, loading it up with shopping bags would be very manageable.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-11-11 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the Edinburgh bike co-op. Their own revolution brand is excellent vfm. One of their country traveller tourers is less than £500 new and would make an excellent utility machine. They have frequent sales.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

dbg
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 5900 Superlight, 2001 Lemond BA, Dozen other muts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had never paid attention to the hipsters on their fixies and single-speeds. Then I rescued from someone's garbage an ancient Peugeot (UO8) with vertical drops and no derailer hanger. My junk drawer happened to have perfect old components (french BB and cranks, yada yada) and soon I had an SS. I love this thing now. I have plenty of tourers and road machines (including a handed down 04 trek 5900 superlight that I completely overhauled - wow), but it's that old SS Peugeot that I always grab for rides about town and workouts. I love this thing (did I mention that?). I highly recommend a single speed. They are elegant and perfect.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA (Trek 5900 Superlight), (Lemond BA), (Peugeot UO8 (SS)), (Dozen other muts)

"The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous; everyone hasn't met me yet" --Rodney Dangerfeld

dbg
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 5900 Superlight, 2001 Lemond BA, Dozen other muts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant horizontal (yeesh).
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA (Trek 5900 Superlight), (Lemond BA), (Peugeot UO8 (SS)), (Dozen other muts)

"The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous; everyone hasn't met me yet" --Rodney Dangerfeld

My Bikes
    Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, Wizwheelz 3.4 trike, Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have charities in England like Goodwill and the Salvation Army where people donate old bikes for sale in their thrift stores? The most expensive bike I ever bought from one was an aluminum frame Cannondale SM-800 mtb. I never did find out exactly how much it cost brand new but for the $20 I paid for it used, it can't be beat. The tires were flat, it was dusty, and all of the greased parts needed cleaning and lubricating. I had it back on the road in a few days at no additional cost. That was several years ago. Most of what these places have are junky mass merchandiser bikes but good ones show up on occasion. If you happen to be there at the right time you get a great bargain. The most recent one I picked up was a circa 1993 Giant Yukon for $25. It still needs a new seat but is rideable with only $3 in replacement parts, including the addition of a water bottle cage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast