Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saddle Survey Results

The original thread was posted 8/28 - http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ide-most-often

Because the survey asked individuals to identify the saddle (singular) they used the most, I only counted those responses that had a singular saddle listed. Those with multiple responses or ambiguous responses are not included in the data presented below.
    Obviously, there are limitations to what the data tells use. First, the sample size is very small. Second, there may be factors that would lead owners of one particular brand or model of saddle to respond when others did not (e.g., it may be possible the owners of Brooks saddles are more likely to respond due to the ridicule they sometimes receive, which some might argue has created a fervent brand loyalty). With these limitations in mind, I list the top three brands in terms of frequency mentioned and the top model within that brand. Only the top three are listed, because the drop off to the next brand is considerable. In fact the drop between the first position and the second is also considerable.

1. Brooks - top model - B17
    2. Fizik - top model - Aliante
    3. Specialized - top model - Romin

Based on this information, the next time someone 50+ asks me what saddle they should consider, I'll likely respond in the following way: "Everyone has his or her own preference. So, what works for one may not work for another. However, it seems as if many individuals are happy with models from Brooks, Fizik and Specialized. So, I might start reading about and considering those first."
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the best things about Specialized is the ability to buy different widths. I would have probably found their Avatar to be fine if mine had been a 131 instead of a 143.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post

Based on this information, the next time someone 50+ asks me what saddle they should consider, I'll likely respond in the following way: "Everyone has his or her own preference. So, what works for one may not work for another. However, it seems as if many individuals are happy with models from Brooks, Fizik and Specialized. So, I might start reading about and considering those first."
    I think it sums it up pretty good. Nice job on the survey btw, I was wondering if e would get a final on the survey. Thanks
    kr
    no goals , just ride

My Bikes
    2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks FTW! Oh wait this wasn't a competition was it? Oh well...
    Un hombre, y un destino.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wait, wait, I didn't get a chance to reply. Not that it would have made any difference, because no one else listed what I ride most often.

Since I don't swap my bikes' saddles on a daily basis the original question boils down to which bike I ride most often. That would be the bike I commute on three days a week. Its saddle is the original Norex, a brand made by Ideale I believe. It's only 39 years old.

However my other solo bike and the tandem both have WTB Speed V saddles. I don't get to ride them much.

You may now return to your regularly-scheduled Brooks Worship.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense to me. I have Brooks B17 on tourer and Aliante on Synapse. Incidentally, both are shaped very similarly.
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I missed it. I'd have said Selle AnAtomica - three of them in use right now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently went back to using the Selle Anatomica.

Nice saddle.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand