Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycle brand country of origin

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bicycle brand country of origin

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 06:40 PM
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
our fleet is still all usa '93 IF(independent fab) crown jewel , '98 trek oclv y 22 mtn, '93 trek 2100 carbon composite, and my SO '95 ti serotta ti, '03 titus mtn , '99 aegis '94 gary fisher mtn and '55 huffy
Old 10-02-12, 09:56 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Totoboa
Not true.

The Toyota Engine AND transmissions are manufactured in Japan. So in my biased opinion, less than 1/2 USA content. I don't think we can find a credible link that shows a Toyota engine or transmission manufacturing plant in the USA. An "American" car, the Chevy Cruze, the body, engine, and transmission are manufactured in USA (Lordstown, Ohio). Same with some Hyundais, minus the tranny.

Let's search this stuff and see what is what. I used to have link for General Motors manufacturing and assembly plants, as well as engine and tranny plants here and abroad.

I'll start digging.

On my Hyundai, the body is manufactured here, in Montgomery Alabama. The transmission is finished/manufactured here from parts sourced abroad. The engine components are manufactured here, USA. The engine block is sourced from"vendors".

Agreed quite complex, but more USA sourced than the Toyotas, as far as I can tell, past the marketing hype.

Found this: https://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page=Engine_Guide

Toyota truck and suv V6 and V8's are built in Huntsville, AL as are 4 cylinder passenger car engines.

My 1988 TREK 400 frame was built in USA, components from France and Asia.

Last edited by El Segundo; 10-02-12 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Add bike
Old 10-06-12, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Segundo
Toyota truck and suv V6 and V8's are built in Huntsville, AL as are 4 cylinder passenger car engines.

My 1988 TREK 400 frame was built in USA, components from France and Asia.
You are in Alabama so maybe you can confirm this. I am skeptical. Based on what you say,all Toyota engines are manufactured here. That would be really nice to know, but I doubt it's true. Can you post some link or more info on this ?

Found it !!

The Link feature is full qw9rtj-9gn2-598vn25gn59

https://www.toyota.com/about/our_busi...cturing/tmmal/

The first Toyota V8 engine outside Japan came off the line at our Alabama plant in 2003. TMMAL now manufactures 4-cylinder engines for the Camry, RAV4, Venza, Sienna and Highlander. In addition, TMMAL also manufactures V6 and V8 engines for the Tacoma and Tundra pickup trucks.Established:
Projected Investment:
$637.0 million
Projected Employment:
1000+
Address:
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Alabama, Inc.
1 Cottonvalley Drive
Huntsville, AL 35810
To learn more about our plant and Toyota’s impact in Alabama, visitwww.toyotainaction.com/Alabama

Last edited by Totoboa; 10-06-12 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-08-12, 09:47 AM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Totoboa
You are in Alabama so maybe you can confirm this. I am skeptical. Based on what you say,all Toyota engines are manufactured here. That would be really nice to know, but I doubt it's true. Can you post some link or more info on this ?

Found it !!

The Link feature is full qw9rtj-9gn2-598vn25gn59

https://www.toyota.com/about/our_busi...cturing/tmmal/

The first Toyota V8 engine outside Japan came off the line at our Alabama plant in 2003. TMMAL now manufactures 4-cylinder engines for the Camry, RAV4, Venza, Sienna and Highlander. In addition, TMMAL also manufactures V6 and V8 engines for the Tacoma and Tundra pickup trucks.Established:
Projected Investment:
$637.0 million
Projected Employment:
1000+
Address:
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Alabama, Inc.
1 Cottonvalley Drive
Huntsville, AL 35810
To learn more about our plant and Toyota’s impact in Alabama, visitwww.toyotainaction.com/Alabama
"Trust but verify", glad you found it to be true. Positive economic impact in the "Rocket City".
Old 10-08-12, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
By "built," do they mean totally made from scratch, or do they mean "assembled from parts and components" which are probably shipped from overseas foundries?

This line at the end kind of makes me wonder: "*Toyota vehicles and components are built using U.S. and globally sourced parts. All data as of December 2011."

Of course, I'd be more interested in the manufacture of the Toyota Prius concept bicycle...

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 10-08-12 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-09-12, 11:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Bent Bill
...are you all aware that the Toyota Avalon and the Camry are the most American built cars in the world? They have more American parts and labor in them than any other car. There's something wrong with that.
Indeed there is. I fear you have been mislead by some confusing information put out by cars.com, which took 'domestic content' (domestic = USA + Canada, btw) and multiplied it by sales to get something they made a half-hearted attempt to call domestic economic impact.