Thread: Apparel sizing

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparel sizing

I've had some problems with sizing of clothing. For instance I have been riding with PI shorts, bibs, tri-suit and generally take a Large. However, with Castelli XL tights work but Castelli XL bibs are too big. I've been considering Assos shorts and have little confidence in all the size charts. An example is Specialized shoes....I have a pair in size 45 and they fit perfectly. However, when I look on their size chart it equates to 11 1/2 US. I take 10 1/2 US and every other chart I've seen shows 45 Euro as 10 1/2 US. It gets confusing. Basically, what I'm asking is this: at 5'9", 185 lbs with 35 inch waist and wearing PI Large....what should I wear in an Assos short. Don't even get me started on jerseys.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you find yourself in here somewhere, then you'll have to trust that they got it right.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In shoe size I take a size 39 and as such I bought cycling shoes in the same size. However a couple of years ago I Bought a new pair of Cycling shoes and Whether it was different manufacturer or not- I finished up with a pair of 41's. Didn't wear the old shoes for a couple of months and those 39's felt tight. In fact within 5 miles my feet were killing me. I have always said that if Fit is paramount- then try before you buy. Whether it be bikes or clothing- I still try them before parting with money.

In fact even within the same manufacturer and the same size I have found differences so it always pays to take 3 pairs of shorts into the changing rooms and try on all 3.Even then I sometimes have to compromise. I wanted some Bib tights a few years ago and tried on the size that should fit me and they were too tight round the thighs. And that was before the Thighs pumped up with riding. Went up a size and perfect- Except a fraction too long. No problem as I just make a turnup at the ankle and they fit.

And if thinking Assos--Only my experience mind you---I think they are made for ultra thin people with NO gut. I had to go to a Large winter jacket so that I could breath but the quality of that Jacket (And the price I paid for it) Means that it fits the body perfectly but the arms are made for someone with a lot longer reach.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan