Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado Snow Level 10,000 ft Wed; wil Add to Recent Snows in Mountains

Our 14,000 ft mountains currently have a fresh coating of snow from the last few days. This Wednesday, more is predicted above 10,000 feet.

I am not in favor of these harbingers of winter, but I am sure the ski areas are happy, and are likely starting their artificial snow machines.

Oh me, I feel like I am just sort of getting in shape.

I don't do ice or snow riding - falls are not good at all for bad backs and older bones. But, I don't mind walking a lot.

Anyway, a typical Colorado winter has a lot of sunny and warm days, and they plow the bike trails. Lots of opportunities for safe riding still coming up. And I am only at 6,000 feet.

Heck, it is only September 11th and I am talking about snow??
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-11-11 at 09:25 PM.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this is not an early sign of a long hard winter coming. IMO, snow belongs on post cards.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can keep it out there, thank you. I want a nice warm winter this year so I can ride outside.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Raleigh Venture 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, a nice snowy winter would be welcome. That way, the forest will have enough moisture to last until monsoon season. A season that doesn't start, in spite of what the "officials" say, until mid to late July. Besides, Hiking in the snow is fun. You can go cross country and not disturb a thing.

Sorry about the bike riding, or lack thereof, but, we could use the snow.

Send it to Arizona... I don't mind at all.
    "Why is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a barbecue?" Anonymous

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete In Az View Post
    For me, a nice snowy winter would be welcome. That way, the forest will have enough moisture to last until monsoon season. A season that doesn't start, in spite of what the "officials" say, until mid to late July. Besides, Hiking in the snow is fun. You can go cross country and not disturb a thing.

Sorry about the bike riding, or lack thereof, but, we could use the snow.

Send it to Arizona... I don't mind at all.
    We had record, record and record snowfalls in the Colorado Mountains last winter, while the front range and plains had almost nothing.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The outdoor winter equivalent of bicycling is cross country (nordic) skiing. It is great exercise and gets you out into the snow and the woods all winter long. So when the snow falls, you're just as happy as when it melts in the spring. And then there is telemark at the ski resorts, the downhill extension of cross country. Highly recommended for us oldsters to remain young in body and heart.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southern Arizona sincerely thanks you, both for last winter and, in advance, for every flake you endure in this one.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine with me. My skis are always ready. I've already fallen more on my bike than I do on skis

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I left the mountains last week. Hate it when I get snowed in and can't ride.

Waiting for enough snow to ski in. Be back in the high country in a couple of months.

Now trying to fix what the quake, Irene, and Lee broke.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    The outdoor winter equivalent of bicycling is cross country (nordic) skiing. It is great exercise and gets you out into the snow and the woods all winter long. So when the snow falls, you're just as happy as when it melts in the spring. And then there is telemark at the ski resorts, the downhill extension of cross country. Highly recommended for us oldsters to remain young in body and heart.
    I've got the X-Country skis ready to go - but we just did not get any snow last winter, here, and I really don't want to drive through the throngs crowding I-70 and other roads to get to the XC areas in the high mountains. I've got snowshoes, also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife said snow on Wheeler Peak in Taos too. Time to buy that season's pass.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Our 14,000 ft mountains currently have a fresh coating of snow from the last few days. This Wednesday, more is predicted above 10,000 feet.

I am not in favor of these harbingers of winter, but I am sure the ski areas are happy, and are likely starting their artificial snow machines.

Oh me, I feel like I am just sort of getting in shape.

I don't do ice or snow riding - falls are not good at all for bad backs and older bones. But, I don't mind walking a lot.

Anyway, a typical Colorado winter has a lot of sunny and warm days, and they plow the bike trails. Lots of opportunities for safe riding still coming up. And I am only at 6,000 feet.

Heck, it is only September 11th and I am talking about snow??
    DF, pls. have the "wonderful" folks that "PLOW" your bike trails come down and show the cheap !@#$%^&, here in Colorado Springs, how to do the job!!!!!!!! It can take 3 or 4 days for the ice to melt away off the local trails we use after snow, which forces us out in the streets, with it's "sandy mess", SIGH!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, being converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

My Bikes
    Secteur, Camber, Trek 930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not ready for snow yet. Still have many more passes I want to bike, like Trail Ridge. I just biked Evans two weeks ago.
    Specialized Secteur & 29" Camber, 26" Trek MTB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're going to suffer through temps in the 70s and 80s all week. I'll try to tough it out.

My Bikes
    Mercier Galaxy as my daily commuter.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not fear Denver Fox. We are predicted to have another year this year like we did last. Record snow fall in the mountains and very little in the city. Works for me. Cherry Chreek Park keeps the roads very clear and I can get 20 to 30 miles in on a nice day.
    Jay B
    2010 Merceir Galaxy/2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my place at near 9000 feet in ski country I can see the snow above timberline out the window. Not ready for it. Spent the summer sick with allergies from record snow and then rain all summer. The grass and weeds had a great year. I want to ride.
    Hopefully Indian Summer will start tomorrow.
    Pivot 5.7
    Rawland Drakkar 650B love it with 38mm Soma tires
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Ultegra
    Santana Fusion Tandem
    2010 Specialized TriCross
    Challenge Concept Trike
    One knee scoped so far.

Homophobia is so gay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAS View Post
    From my place at near 9000 feet in ski country I can see the snow above timberline out the window. Not ready for it. Spent the summer sick with allergies from record snow and then rain all summer. The grass and weeds had a great year. I want to ride.
    Hopefully Indian Summer will start tomorrow.
    Come down from them thar hills and join me for a ride along Cherry Creek.