User Tag List

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips for a budget TT bike for old pharts

So I'm prolly gonna get back into USCF racin next season. Will do the local/near crits and RRs, but also think I want to try my hand at TTs. I've always been a massed-start kinda rider and the last TT I did was in '97 - respectable with older clipons on the roadie...
    But now I think I will need a TT bike of some sort to have any reasonable opportunity within my age group.
    So I figured I'd start askin here... of the experienced TT riders
    These are equipment questions. I can;t/don;t want to spend $4k for this machine, less is even moe betta.
    I'm 62+, 5' 10" , 163 lbs, ride a 56/57 roadie, long leg short torso, now prefer to ride a gear at 105 rpm rather than a bigger one at 90 although 90 is comfortable enough. What I'm sayin is I have less power now than what I remember as having, even 10 yrs ago. - although I'm workin at it hard...

1. If you were gonna build a budget TT bike - where and with what would you start?
    2. Which component elements do you find are the most important for speed and setup?
    3. Is there any advantage to using a 50 ring (with appropriate cassette) over a 52/53?
    4. I don;t think there are any flat TT's around here, so I'll be contending with some up and downgrades - but prolly not climbs...

all suggestions gratefully considered...

I will be lookin local for any used machines which might work...
    thx
    Golden rose, the color of the dream I had
    Not too long ago
    A misty blue and the lillac too
    A never to grow old

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks pretty cheap and old. Although the double disc will be difficult to handle in the wind.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no old farts in USCF racing. Instead they are called "Sir!"
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a couple of local TT clubs and they welcome newcomers at any fitness or age level. The advice they give is come and join in a Race on your current machinery and talk to the riders. They can put you right on the size of bike- type of bike and how to set it up.

Far cheaper to talk to the right people and get the right stuff than turn up on a TT specific or bike modified to suit and then find out you should have bought/ built differently.

One of the clubs has a specific Newcomers section and you stay in that for a year- if you want to. The girl to beat does it on an old Mountain bike with 26" wheels and aerobars.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    This looks pretty cheap and old. Although the double disc will be difficult to handle in the wind.

I bet that rig has the original Brooks saddle.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks anyway...
    I did nose around a bit last nite, and found some info I was lookin for

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/...ial-equipment/
    http://masterscyclingmag.wordpress.c...ing-equipment/

I guess position, taming the furrr and Ming the Merciless helmutt are more important than wizbang Buck Rogers frame and wheels...
    see ya down the road...
    Not too long ago
    A never to grow old

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we talking budget TT bike or BUDGET TT BIKE?

In one case you might find that the 2010 QR Tequilo is still available and can be had for like $1199
    http://www.all3sports.com/product_in...lete-bike-2010

Then you can spend all your time worrying about whether you should have bought a better bike or upgraded a couple of parts.

But if you are talking BUDGET TT BIKE, like you've been doing triathlons on your comfort bike and you're sick of finishing 20 minutes behind a couple of fat porkers you can outrun and outswim all day long but you're a little short of $$ then you want to find a thrift store 10-speed, get a light chain on it, some clip-on aero bars, and a good saddle and you'll shave 30 minutes off your time to the tune of about $200. And if you train hard, you can probably be competitive right up until you are ready to spend $3000 for something with a carbon frame.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverborama View Post
    In one case you might find that the 2010 QR Tequilo is still available and can be had for like $1199
    A pretty decent deal for getting started in TT, but they only have 49cm and 55cm still available. The 55 might work for a 5'10" guy.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverborama View Post
    Are we talking budget TT bike or BUDGET TT BIKE?

I've looked at a bunch of bikes like this... Not a problem for doin Tris, but if I went to the states, might not pass regs. Does anyone know/have experience in making these steep seattube bikes (76 - 79 deg) comply with the 5 cm rule in USACycling/UCI ? I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't pass the morphology test to allow more forward position.
    Not too long ago
    A never to grow old

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn. You got me beat:

I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I''d be looking on E-Bay or Craigslist for a used machine.

A lot of the more recent TT/Tri bikes had a somewhat more relaxed ST angle when they went to 700c wheels, and you might find somebody selling a used machine if they are trading up.

Or maybe another road bike that you can put a forward seat post on with a set of clip-ons.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png