Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Not sure I have a place here.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm beginning to think that I just do not fit in with the bicycling crowd. I only recently started riding again (at 62 years old), got lots of great info from Bike Forums due to google searches.

I also fell into the trap of replying to a few threads on what turned out to be rather controversial topics.

I am a dog owner, a gun owner, my main transportation is a pick up truck, my bibs are denim and made by a company called Liberty, I believe in complying with the rules of the road regardless of the number of wheels under me, I am not impressed by big "talk" from any keyboard and most of all I mourn for the lack of common sense in the world today.

I ride a bicycle for relaxation and am not out to impress anyone. I'm as comfortable on the my old Raleigh wearing shorts and flip flops as I am when wearing overalls and steel toed work boots. If your dog chases me I will stop, pat him on head and and reward his diligence in "protecting you" with a dog biscuit from my pocket. If you flip me off, I will generally smile and wave back.

I am a metal fabricator/woodworker/mechanic and include bicycles in my life, I do not live bicycles. I'm not sure that there is a place here for one who occasionally rides a bicycle among all the "true bicyclists".
Old 09-12-11, 07:28 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are people here from all walks of life, and many approaches to riding. It's just a question of whether you enjoy the discourse (which general remains pretty civil), and only you can answer that.
Old 09-12-11, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And whats the problem... WELCOME.. now its off for a week to ride with my wife who is a new rider and friends.
Old 09-12-11, 07:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now i'm not 50+, but I will share what i've noticed...

By allowing people to post stories and share opinions outside of the Advocacy section, you get what seems to be wildfire and shear ignorance a lot of times. The people (seemingly) who typically run on and on about "i'll just shoot the bastard" when in response to animals in public places, are the same who are die-hard VC advocates. People that fight any and all negative aspect towards cyclists.

As far as the recent dog thread, I believe you mean the St. Bernard occurrence, i'm with you. If you see the dog, he is headed towards you, WHY would you continue at 20mph heading in to a sure collision? Slow, stop, stay mounted on the bike in some fashion and assess the situation. More times than not dogs are simply wanting to play or gain your attention. If you stop and asses the situation..if the dog IS violent, you now have a foot to potentially kick the ever living hell out of the dog and a chance to arm yourself with pepper spray before any action even occurs.

Cyclists CAN be outright ridiculous in some instances. Holier than though types seem to be more common than I expected as well. Luckily, we both enjoy our bikes it seems. Good luck and keep pedaling!
Old 09-12-11, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
As was said, lots of different people here and I am careful which threads to post in. I usually avoid the hot button threads where emotions take over.
There are some good stories to read and they sometimes come from unlikely sources.
Old 09-12-11, 08:02 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to 50+

We really don't care what you ride or what you wear. We only care that you ride and enjoy eating pie on your rides

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-12-11, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I don't believe there are any requirements about having to post, or having to read "x" number of posts to be part of the forum. People come and go. People participate at different levels. Some have been around longer than others. Some post then disappear for a while and show up again later. Some who post do so to be helpful. Others post to make points. Yet others post to simply share experiences. I guess there are as many reasons for being here and posting as there are people. I would suspect, however, that for many of us cycling is a large part of our lives. There are those of us who have other interests equal to or greater than cycling. In my view, there are times when it is tempting to try and bring those other interests into the forum. Generally, I don't think that works all that well if it becomes the primary focus of a discussion. It is probably better to take a strong interest in motorcycles, guns, dogs, cats, photography, farming, cars, sailboats, politics, religion, hiking, cooking, weight lifting, painting, teaching, etc. and post on forums dedicated to them. With that said, I sometimes worry about how welcoming we are here at 50+ (I won't even try to figure that out for some of the other forums on Bike Forums). Generally, I think we attempt to be inclusive. I would have hoped you wouldn't have felt this way. But, if it's not the right place, it's not the right place. You're the only one who can determine that. Fitting into the bicycling crowd, IMO, is more about figuring out which segment of the bicycling crowd is best suited to your own interest, personality, etc.
Old 09-12-11, 08:16 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are welcome here, as you can see there are many people with many opinions. I, like you, work for a living, Cycle because I want the enjoyment of being outside and exercise provided from the ride. I have 4 dogs, They are outside with me anytime I am in the yard. I live on an active bike route and none of these 4 have ever chased a cyclist. I ride where there are many dogs. even when chased I have never been bitten or knocked from the bike, we just have to learn how best to deal with the obstructions that do occur when we are riding. I hope you stay, I am sure all of us would welcome your input into any of the threads.

Last edited by dguest; 09-12-11 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-12-11, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm with you on all that, larwin. I guess everyone has to blow off steam sometimes and that's how I take it on these forums.
Old 09-12-11, 08:22 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I hope you will stay around. I enjoy reading about other perspectives and approaches to cycling. We all come in with different experiences and preferences. No reason to expect we will all want the same thing from bicycling. I have read some of your posts and appreciate your level-headed approach to things. I don't have to do the same things you do and make the same choices to enjoy reading about your riding experiences.

Things usually stay pretty tolerant and respectful around here, although certain topics can create a fuss, especially when they draw in people who like to fight about them in different forums. I sometimes get drawn into the fray when someone, instead of telling what they do and why, start telling others what they should do or that the choices they make are wrong. The argumentative threads often go on for several pages, but usually nothing new comes into them after the go off the rail. I just stop reading them after a while.

Hope to hear more from you.
Old 09-12-11, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Trek 3900, Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing is that you're out riding. All the BS talk, "I'm faster than you," "I have a better bike than you," and "I'm cooler than you because I shave my legs", is mostly online. When you get out and ride, most folks are actually very friendly out on the road. Have fun and be safe!
Old 09-12-11, 08:47 AM
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by larwyn
I'm beginning to think that I just do not fit in with the bicycling crowd. I only recently started riding again (at 62 years old), got lots of great info from Bike Forums due to google searches.

I also fell into the trap of replying to a few threads on what turned out to be rather controversial topics.

I am a dog owner, a gun owner, my main transportation is a pick up truck, my bibs are denim and made by a company called Liberty, I believe in complying with the rules of the road regardless of the number of wheels under me, I am not impressed by big "talk" from any keyboard and most of all I mourn for the lack of common sense in the world today.

I ride a bicycle for relaxation and am not out to impress anyone. I'm as comfortable on the my old Raleigh wearing shorts and flip flops as I am when wearing overalls and steel toed work boots. If your dog chases me I will stop, pat him on head and and reward his diligence in "protecting you" with a dog biscuit from my pocket. If you flip me off, I will generally smile and wave back.

I am a metal fabricator/woodworker/mechanic and include bicycles in my life, I do not live bicycles. I'm not sure that there is a place here for one who occasionally rides a bicycle among all the "true bicyclists".
I don't know what brought all this about, but from what I've read you sound like about 90% of the people out riding bicycles that I come across when I'm out riding. Most people that I know that ride bicycles for fun, or to just go some place have never even heard of, a carbon frame bike, bicycle specific clothing (that's just stuff those racer types wear), or Bike Forums, let alone posted here. VC type riding to them is just trying not to get ran over by cars...
Old 09-12-11, 09:01 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you decide, don't forget the pie ride next weekend.

From what I gather, you ride fifteen miles (more or less) then eat some pie.

Go here for more details.

Last edited by Pete In Az; 09-12-11 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Found a better explination.
Old 09-12-11, 09:02 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I think you are wrong.

My stats.

I started roadracing motorcycles at 67 years old.

https://www.cehoward.net/fl1.jpg

I started back to riding bicycles at 69 years old.

https://www.cehoward.net/3bikes1.jpg

I am NRA master in 2700 point 3-gun matches, and hunted deer and small game with pistols.

https://www.cehoward.net/skrange2.jpg

I drive a Ford F150

https://www.cehoward.net/653.jpg

I ride old Raleighs, Schwinns and Centurions.

All I wear is Levis/Wranglers and Cowboy Boots.
BTW, my Cowboy boots are made by a company called Liberty too..

Liberty Boots put a pic of me and my wife on their website. I was sporting a pair of their Lefty Handmade Cowboy Boots, they are killers too..

https://www.libertybootco.com/hey-coo...aspx?ItemID=68

This is the internet, all subjects are controversional, take it with a grain of salt.

IMO, the internet, just like everything else, has its GOOD POINTS, and its BAD POINTS. I treat it like I do everything in life. Grasp on to the Good Points, and leave the BAD POINTS alone.

I ain't out to impress anybody either, what I do is for ME, ME AND MORE ME!!!

Welcome to the Club, you are not ALONE!!
Old 09-12-11, 09:07 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by robberry
The only thing is that you're out riding. All the BS talk, "I'm faster than you," "I have a better bike than you," and "I'm cooler than you because I shave my legs", is mostly online. When you get out and ride, most folks are actually very friendly out on the road. Have fun and be safe!
Can't be said any better!!
Old 09-12-11, 09:40 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have a place as long as YOU want it!
Old 09-12-11, 10:09 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Ridley Boreas, Felt AR4, and Haro mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
I think you are wrong.

My stats.

I started roadracing motorcycles at 67 years old.

https://www.cehoward.net/fl1.jpg

I started back to riding bicycles at 69 years old.

https://www.cehoward.net/3bikes1.jpg

I am NRA master in 2700 point 3-gun matches, and hunted deer and small game with pistols.

https://www.cehoward.net/skrange2.jpg

I drive a Ford F150

https://www.cehoward.net/653.jpg

I ride old Raleighs, Schwinns and Centurions.

All I wear is Levis/Wranglers and Cowboy Boots.
BTW, my Cowboy boots are made by a company called Liberty too..

Liberty Boots put a pic of me and my wife on their website. I was sporting a pair of their Lefty Handmade Cowboy Boots, they are killers too..

https://www.libertybootco.com/hey-coo...aspx?ItemID=68

This is the internet, all subjects are controversional, take it with a grain of salt.

IMO, the internet, just like everything else, has its GOOD POINTS, and its BAD POINTS. I treat it like I do everything in life. Grasp on to the Good Points, and leave the BAD POINTS alone.

I ain't out to impress anybody either, what I do is for ME, ME AND MORE ME!!!

Welcome to the Club, you are not ALONE!!
You sir are an inspiration. I rode a ton as a kid in the late 60's and early 70's. Got sidetracked bigtime but finally got serious again about 4 years ago. I will be 58 in October and have gotten younger over the last 3 of those 4 years.

Good luck with the racing and take care, Greg
Old 09-12-11, 10:29 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Larwyn,

I like everyone else on this forum have been in the same situation that you are talking about. I find it to be worse on the Road Bike Forum. When I do a post and start getting bashed for something they don't agree with, I just don't bother responding and getting down to their level. Many of the people here like to antagonize and get heated threads started. I don't know why they get their kicks off that way, but that doesn't happen too often in the 50+ forum. I hope that you will give it another try before you decide to quit coming to BF and when you see something that doesn't appeal to you, shut the thread down and read another one.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-12-11, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It think it's simple. When we are riding we are all cyclists. When we are typing we are just typing.
Old 09-12-11, 10:48 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sdean911
You sir are an inspiration. I rode a ton as a kid in the late 60's and early 70's. Got sidetracked bigtime but finally got serious again about 4 years ago. I will be 58 in October and have gotten younger over the last 3 of those 4 years.

Good luck with the racing and take care, Greg
That's the way it works. If you are YOUNG AT HEART, you get younger as the years go by!!

Enjoy, be safe, and please keep getting younger!!
Old 09-12-11, 10:52 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Larwyn,

I like everyone else on this forum have been in the same situation that you are talking about. I find it to be worse on the Road Bike Forum. When I do a post and start getting bashed for something they don't agree with, I just don't bother responding and getting down to their level. Many of the people here like to antagonize and get heated threads started. I don't know why they get their kicks off that way, but that doesn't happen too often in the 50+ forum. I hope that you will give it another try before you decide to quit coming to BF and when you see something that doesn't appeal to you, shut the thread down and read another one.
And to ADD to your very good reply, there is the IGNORE BUTTON. Somebody irks you, or just seem to want to get on your nerves, hit the ignore button, it is over with after that. Couple people got on my case when I first came on board. They still on ignore, and I always enjoy my visits to BF..
Old 09-12-11, 10:56 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Larwyn,

I like everyone else on this forum have been in the same situation that you are talking about. I find it to be worse on the Road Bike Forum. When I do a post and start getting bashed for something they don't agree with, I just don't bother responding and getting down to their level. Many of the people here like to antagonize and get heated threads started. I don't know why they get their kicks off that way, but that doesn't happen too often in the 50+ forum...
But that IS the roadie Forum.
A mix of tweens thru olde pharts... actually kinda fun.
sometimes we all get sucked into the argument vortex, but mostly it can be easy to ignore...

aside from being sucked into politics, cycling, whether online or in meatspace, is a good starting point to find additional common ground.

and as with the overall population, there are gonna be BFers you'd rather not associate with, and others which might seem kin, and the vast expanse between.

of course the internet is a notorious time waster - one's got know one's limits...
Old 09-12-11, 11:04 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5465 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I like your welding designs.
Everyone has something unique to contribute.
Old 09-12-11, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, if you don't feel like you belong, then go... it's not really for us to say, it's for YOU to decide what value any of this holds for you.

Honestly, I don't hold a high opinion for gun owners, as a whole, and I could care less about what you drive or what you wear. In fact, in kind of smells of reverse elitism to me, though I do swear by my 'Merkin Levis. What does matter is that you ride a bike for whatever reason you do and you seem to enjoy it. That's all you need.

While I am majorly impressed by what many here can do I don't really see where anyone is *trying* impress, they just share and we take inspiration where we can. I don't know.... it seems there have a quite a few newcomers here of late who have been all too willing to point out what this forum is all about after being here for a week or two. We're all moving along in age and have a lot of experiences and life that we've lived. Somehow, I don't think we're as simple as that. Have a another cup of coffee and a smoke, sit back and just read for a while...
Old 09-12-11, 11:08 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

There are no true cyclists...just cyclists that like to find ways to somehow feel superior to others. Have fun and don't worry about them.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.