Thread: All Thumbs

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Thumbs

Was sitting in my car waiting for a light to change and I happened to glance over at a young woman also waiting for the green light. She had both thumbs on her phone and was looking down. Mystically, she started forward when the light changed still looking down, still with both thumbs on the phone. Scary.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding down a street and had a car behind me. The driver waited until there was room to pass with out crowding me or her. Nice to have that happen. So as she passed I waved and looked over at the car. The passanger waved back, but the driver was too busy looking down at her phone resting on the bottom of the steering wheel, as she was texting away. Strange but true.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have been a good time to loudly slap a palm on the side of the car to see if she noticed.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    Was sitting in my car waiting for a light to change and I happened to glance over at a young woman also waiting for the green light. She had both thumbs on her phone and was looking down. Mystically, she started forward when the light changed still looking down, still with both thumbs on the phone. Scary.
    It is my considered opinion that all motorized vehicles be equipped with non-removable cell phone jamming equipment to prevent the driver from use of their cell phone except on the 911 frequency.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cell phone... #1 distraction on the roadways today.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever heard of someone getting a ticket using a cell phone and driving? I haven't. Enforce the law and insist it be enforced. Today's cops(sorry, you guys have a tough job, but...) do not enforce laws. I see people every day break the law when driving. I rarely see a cop pull anyone over for anything but speeding. If I see on person cut a left-hand turn and drive on the other side of the road, I see a hundred do this. If you are a cop, please start writing tickets!
    I see people enter a highway and cross 3 lanes of traffic in one move to pass people in front of them still on the entrance ramp. Pull these idiots over!
    Enforce the friggen laws!! Where are our Police?

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, people get away with murder on the road today. In our town there is a little post office situated at a sharp curve with a double yellow line. I will bet I have seen at least a dozen people pull a U turn there after dropping off their mail.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Lurking
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Imola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen drivers pounding away with their thumbs, and 2 weeks ago saw a cyclist on his road bike sitting up doing the same thing while peddling. Yesterday the High School was just finishing up the day, and saw a few more doing the same thing, peddling and hammering on the keypad while riding.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Have you ever heard of someone getting a ticket using a cell phone and driving? I haven't. Enforce the law and insist it be enforced. Today's cops(sorry, you guys have a tough job, but...) do not enforce laws. I see people every day break the law when driving. I rarely see a cop pull anyone over for anything but speeding. If I see on person cut a left-hand turn and drive on the other side of the road, I see a hundred do this. If you are a cop, please start writing tickets!
    I see people enter a highway and cross 3 lanes of traffic in one move to pass people in front of them still on the entrance ramp. Pull these idiots over!
    Enforce the friggen laws!! Where are our Police?
    I knew it would happen some day. I am in complete agreement with BBW. I spoke with the police captain in charge of my side of town tonight about just this topic tonight. While I understand his staffing limitations, it seems like some of them could be alleviated with a bit of revenue-enhancing enforcement activity.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    Texting while driving is illegal in Georgia but it seems that no one cares. I see this all the time, whether I'm riding or walking or driving.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see drivers texting while stopped at red lights all the time. Every once in a while I'll be behind one so engrossed in texting that he/she does not realize the light has turned green. I usually knock on the trunk or back window to get their attention.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I see drivers texting while stopped at red lights all the time. Every once in a while I'll be behind one so engrossed in texting that he/she does not realize the light has turned green. I usually knock on the trunk or back window to get their attention.
    Suppose you could send them a text message. I was wondering if that was how the girl I saw knew the light had changed.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale_S View Post
    I have seen drivers pounding away with their thumbs, and 2 weeks ago saw a cyclist on his road bike sitting up doing the same thing while peddling. Yesterday the High School was just finishing up the day, and saw a few more doing the same thing, peddling and hammering on the keypad while riding.
    Saw the same thing this morning on the bridge. A guy cycling along, both hands on the phone, looking down, riding in the narrow pedestrian path which is not to be used by cyclists. Guess a pedestrian could carry a bell and hope he is not also plugged into an ipod.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    Cell phone... #1 distraction on the roadways today.
    Last time i saw a report of a study (I did not see the study myself), eating was the cause of far more accidents.

My Bikes
    69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Have you ever heard of someone getting a ticket using a cell phone and driving? I haven't. Enforce the law and insist it be enforced. Today's cops(sorry, you guys have a tough job, but...) do not enforce laws.
    Saw an off-duty cop (in uniform) in his personal car texting while driving.

We need to be very worried.

-G

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a shuttle bus in to work and at times out driver is texting. Thought about reporting her, but technically, I'm not supposed to be on the shuttle, so I just said whatever and usually ride times when I know she's not driving.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always felt that driving was something worthy of solitary attention. I don't allow food in my car. I don't use a phone in my car. When in my car, I drive. I feel the same way about cycling on roads and MUPs. My job isn't to answer a call, change a tune on my portable player, or any of that. Wish more people felt that way.... no, correction.... I wish more people acted that way.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Lurking
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Imola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2010, the California Highway Patrol gave out 397 texting-while driving citations and 11,367 citations to motorists who talked on cell phones that were not hands-free. A very small number is you ask me, but then again, they are probably writing accident reports for those they didn't catch.