Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

43F at dawn this morning, time to think about cold weather cycling.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 05:09 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Time to get the bike and myself ready for Fall & Winter. The bike will get lights & fenders. I'll add winter tires once the snow arrives. I'll need to get out the cool weather wear and start layering up today. I should also sign up for a spin class.

How about you? How do you adjust for fall & winter?

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-15-11 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-15-11, 05:45 AM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We started our ride at 44º on Sunday morning. First time I needed to wear a vest in a while. It warmed up quickly though so before long the vest and arm warmers came off. Starting at 44º in sunny calm conditions when it will warm to 80º is way different than later in the year when it might be 44º cloudy windy and only getting to 50º. I can adjust to almost anything but the sudden changes that come in the Fall can be a shock to the system.
Old 09-15-11, 05:56 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...g-Cooler-Temps!!
Old 09-15-11, 06:02 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, it getting cooler in the Arizona desert too. I got up this AM to 75 degrees. We were actually able to turn of the A/C unit and open up the house, at least for a while. Winter here is a great time to ride, but this summer was a scorcher.
Old 09-15-11, 06:53 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Waiting for the cooler weather to sink down to the Gulf Coast. Ordering cold weather apparel. We don't get any snow down here but we have a few freezes every year.
Old 09-15-11, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
35 here this morning.. burrr
Old 09-15-11, 07:18 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Y'all work it all out and by the time winter gets here, I'll have all your input to consider. My preparation for fall riding has been to put in the miles and fine tune the bike to be ready for some century rides.
Old 09-15-11, 07:22 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I thought the same this morning with the temp at 38F at 7 am. Winter coat was ready but by the time I got riding it was base layer- S/S jersy and Pertex. (Pertex is a windproof that breathes) Not long before I wish I had left off the base layer but the pertex came off within 5 miles. Think I am going to get the Jerkin out that is wind proof and Warm as that rolls up into a small pack if I have to take it off.

But Cold Weather is coming.-Just hope it is not wet with it.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-15-11, 07:30 AM
The Mississippi Flash

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock MB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will be my first winter cycling so just have to wing it. We usually don't get much snow down here in NE Mississippi, but it can get below freezing. Got a wind vest in the mail yesterday, just need to pick up some leg warmers. 58 this morning but feels cooler, just ate breakfast so will hit the MUP in a couple of hours, hopefully it will have warmed up by then.
Old 09-15-11, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
The studded snow tires go on in early December, by which time the overcoat, Totes, and overpants will have migrated from the saddlebag to the coat closet, where the ski gloves await them.

Paul
Old 09-15-11, 08:14 AM

Bikes: 1973 Peugeot UE-8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2010 Trek 1.2, 2012 Bianchi Siempre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who are pulling out their winter clothe and wondering why they are more hole than garment, Performance has good sales on Arctic Guard right now. Both Nashbar and Performance have good sales on bib compression tights too. I guess everyone is trying to dump 2011 inventory to make room for 2012. I've never done the tights myself, but I just bought a pair to try out this year.

Now all I need is a snow plow rig.......
Old 09-15-11, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
...How about you? How do you adjust for fall & winter?
I do pretty much as above. I think about my levels of dress on a scale of 1 to 6, summer to winter wear, and I gradually descend down the scale to level 6 in early January. Studded tires go on the beater bike in mid-December, until April.

Unfortunately, I physically adjust not well in these transitional days of September, and I usually get a viral type illness as I have now, with congestion, a low grade cough, and generalized achiness, I stay off the bike hoping it will not get worse. However I'm now in week nine of ten on my training schedule for a century next week.

My cycling miles will then start to decline from almost 200 miles per week now, to winter mileage of about 80.
Old 09-15-11, 08:47 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I gear up for it by getting cranky. I hate cold and like it hot. When it's cold things ache that don't ache when it's hot.

But, after a few days I get used to it. Layers, studded tires in snow and ice, lighting system switched to the more powerful one, are all changes that are made. Excluding blizzard type weather, my mileage will stay about the same.
Old 09-15-11, 09:09 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool weather? Ride. Cold weather? Build a fire and enjoy the indoors or go skiing or trout fishing, or what ever comes up that looks like fun. Bicycles are nice but they aren't everything. I don't feel the need to ride all the time. Spin class? Booooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnng!
Old 09-15-11, 09:14 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I dont ride in cold weather....or when it's windy/rainy/hailing like is typical when October is around the corner. How do I adjust? I'm currently scanning CL for a fluid trainer and I begin the annual climbing of Avalanche Mt about 6blks from here....oh, and it's hunting season.

Hoping to find a trainer and keeping in some kind of spinning shape this winter/off season, though.
Old 09-15-11, 09:16 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by NOS88
I gear up for it by getting cranky. I hate cold and like it hot. When it's cold things ache that don't ache when it's hot.

But, after a few days I get used to it. Layers, studded tires in snow and ice, lighting system switched to the more powerful one, are all changes that are made. Excluding blizzard type weather, my mileage will stay about the same.
That's the problem I have, too. After a hot humid summer of forcing myself to ride when everybody else is dying of the heat I now find it an "all dressed up and no where to go" season. Get used to the cold? Not so easy this year due to the hot weather conditioning.
Old 09-15-11, 09:39 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Yes, it getting cooler in the Arizona desert too. I got up this AM to 75 degrees. We were actually able to turn of the A/C unit and open up the house, at least for a while. Winter here is a great time to ride, but this summer was a scorcher.
I hope it lasts, but am not counting on it. August had the highest average high temperatures, and the highest overall average temperatures, ever recorded for the area. I have races on 9/24 and 10/1. Last year, the race at that time of year was held at 110*+. I hope it isn't the same this year. But, so long as we get cool mornings, the rest is tolerable.
Old 09-15-11, 10:35 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 55F/13C this morning. I have discovered a need for gloves. The pair I had last year were next to useless, so it's off to the hiking store to buy some good ones.
Old 09-15-11, 10:43 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
The studded snow tires
You need studded snow tires in DC?
Old 09-15-11, 11:14 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
OK! You northerner's are making me cold just reading your threads. This morning is was a very nice 75º when I got to our wilderness park at 7:30 am. Got into the mid-upper 80's by 9:00 am. I hope this winter was as mild as last winter and not as cold as the year before last.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-15-11, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pete In Az
It was 55F/13C this morning. I have discovered a need for gloves. The pair I had last year were next to useless, so it's off to the hiking store to buy some good ones.
I'd think a pair of Wells Lamont's from the tack store would be more akin to your area
Old 09-15-11, 12:07 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Just finished tune up on the indoor bicycle resistence trainer, that's what we do when there's "ice and snow" on the ground. I like my bikes way too much to ride them in "slush and muck", jmho. I will ride in cold but otherwise, I'm indoor bike wise, if it's snowing easy, I WALK, if it's hard I take the bus, if that makes me a puss, then so be it!

Old 09-15-11, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You need studded snow tires in DC?
Sure. Our region holds the patent on "freeze and thaw". Also, the trails are not plowed.

Paul
Old 09-16-11, 11:02 AM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Sing it~! I do not get past this stage. It was 46 this AM, 55 right now and cloudy. I hope to get a few hundred more miles in before just riding on my trainer in the garage for the winter. I'll sneak out on the cold but sunny days for 10-15 mile rides, but cold OR rain - never both, I just can't do em both anymore.
Old 09-16-11, 01:22 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I'd think a pair of Wells Lamont's from the tack store would be more akin to your area
Oh I have work gloves for when I'm rooting around in the yard and such. What I need are gloves that will keep my hands from freezing when it's below 20f/-7c and I'm riding down the hills that I will ride up later. 12f at 25 mph gets a bit cool on the fingers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.