Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

High Blood Pressure

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

High Blood Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-04, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High Blood Pressure

First of all I must say that I am in pretty good shape. I am 61yo, having a resting heart rate of 44, LT of 28, and a 41 VO2. However, I have HBP. I was given ADALAT, and LOPRESSOR. Since then I have experienced Nose Bleeds, Flushing, Muscle Soreness, tiredness,fatigue, insomnia. These are supposedly common side-effects. The result on my biking is like I gained 20 lbs. It has really slowed me down.
What other medications if any are any of you taking? Do you experience the same? Let me know.
Old 12-19-04, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Go back to your Doc and tell him this
is not working out. There are many BP meds out there,
and it's common to have to try a few before you find something
that works without screwing your life over.
The idea is to improve your life, not destroy it.
Btw, what was your BP, and have you gotten a device
to track it on your own? Helps to know what's going on.
Old 12-19-04, 08:18 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by netso
First of all I must say that I am in pretty good shape. I am 61yo, having a resting heart rate of 44, LT of 28, and a 41 VO2. However, I have HBP. I was given ADALAT, and LOPRESSOR. Since then I have experienced Nose Bleeds, Flushing, Muscle Soreness, tiredness,fatigue, insomnia. These are supposedly common side-effects. The result on my biking is like I gained 20 lbs. It has really slowed me down.
What other medications if any are any of you taking? Do you experience the same? Let me know.
Tell me about it!

Generally, the first line of defense against HBP is a diuretic such as Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ). I do not know if ADALAT is one of those drugs.

My BP skyrocketed in conjunction with my recent atrial fibrillation (and I believe the drugs I am taking for that).

I can not use Ace Inhibitors because of the side effects of continuous coughing.

I am on HCTZ, Diovan and Norvasc also, and it is pretty much back in control, but still not as low as I would like. The Norvasc takes anout two weeks to be fully effective. I have been on it a week. I also take a small amount of Lopressor (Beta Blocker) to slow my heart down from about 158 BPM to now about 60-70.

For many years I have eaten absolutely no additional salt, and try to choose foods low in salt, and eat a very low-fat diet.

There are hundreds of drugs for blood pressure. You should tell your doc of your concerns and the side effects - the doc can change drugs for you.

Right now, I feel the side effects are not significant, probably because the major factor in my life right now is the atrial fibrillation, which has reduced my heart output by about 30%. I have been walking 3-5 miles per day outside and using my trainer inside. I continue my weight lifting. I am 65 yo. I track my BP daily on an Excel spreadsheet, taking three different BP's at least three minutes apart, and, using the spreadsheet, average them.

It is really a bummer being a walking drugstore!

Good luck!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-19-04 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-19-04, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Raleigh MTRAX, Ribble Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow that's a low resting heartbeat! And I'm only 2/3 your age.
I cycle to try and get my blood pressure lower (it is higher than average).
There are various factors that can affect blood pressure: smoking, alcohol, body weight, diet and excercise. I'd research the possible medications but I'm certain that a combination that does not affect you so adversely should be possible.
Old 12-20-04, 07:05 AM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diueretics are no longer used for BP control. What you are on is known as a "beta blocker". They work for short term but some people are prone to reactions to them. Ask your doctor about changing to an "ace inhibitor" which is a drug of choice for long term treatment of hypertension. For reference a brand name of the drug is Isopril. Generically it is Lisinopril. I too have hypertension and have been on the drug for some time now. My son had a severe reaction to Adalat and his doctor switched him to the Isopril with good results. Check with your doctor and have him check it out for you.

Your cycling will help to reduce your BP a fair amount. Mine came down by 15 after a couple of months of riding.

'bent Brian
Old 12-20-04, 07:13 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by bnet1
Diueretics are no longer used for BP control.
'bent Brian

Table 1 Concomitant Therapy with Oral Diuretics

Many classes of drugs have been used to
treat hypertension, but the thiazide
diuretics have received more attention
recently because of the published
results from the Antihypertensive and Lipid-
Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial
(ALLHAT). The ALLHAT study found that
diuretics have been virtually unsurpassed in
preventing the cardiovascular complications of
hypertension but that these medications remain
underutilized.

https://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Diuretics Best for High Blood Pressure

Cheaper Drugs Are More Effective at Preventing Stroke, Heart Failure

By Jim Kling
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
on Tuesday, December 17, 2002

Dec. 17, 2002 -- When it comes to medications to treat high blood pressure, newer isn't necessarily better. In fact, researchers say that in light of new findings from a landmark study, diuretics should be the top choice for combating high blood pressure.

That is the conclusion reached following a massive clinical trial comparing the effects of newer blood pressure drugs to diuretics, which have been around for a much longer time -- and are much cheaper. Specifically, the diuretic studied -- chlorthalidone -- was substantially better at preventing heart failure and stroke that can occur as a result of high blood pressure.

The main diuretic used today is hydrochlorothiazide, or HCTZ, which has fewer side effects than chlorthalidone, the diuretic used in this study. HCTZ is often combined with other diuretics into one pill.

The results of the study, called ALLHAT (Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial), appear in the Dec. 18 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

The results will likely have doctors rethinking how they treat high blood pressure, which affects about one in four American adults, and is a major cause of heart disease, stroke, and kidney failure.

https://my.webmd.com/content/article/56/65900.htm

BNET1 - where did you get your information about diuretics? Every study I have read says that low dose diuretics are the front line defense.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-20-04 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-20-04, 07:42 AM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by netso
I was amazed when I was diagnosed with HBP at about your age - I am now 64. I had always had extraordinarily low BP (was a professional airline pilot), and like you my resting pulse is 44. Mine was controlled with Cozaar, and then when it was higher than I would like (but high normal), we added 10 mg of Lotrel to the mix and now my BP stays around 115/high 70's. No side affects whatsoever.

Rather than deal with a GP, I went directly to a Neprhologist who specialized in treating high BP. We were immediately successful after determining that the high BP was not being caused by some physiological condition. With modern medicines, you should be able to completely control your BP, and enjoy kicking the butt of the youngs studs on the sprints!
Old 12-20-04, 01:44 PM
'Bent Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had three doctors tell me the same thing. (Sorry about the earlier post about Isopril. The "brand name" drug is actually Prinivil!). All of them told me that a diuretic was not the way to go in my case. They said I needed something for long term, and an ace inhibitor was the recommended way to go. I was told this by my physician in Albuquerque and by my doctors here in Ohio. My father was hypertensive so in runs in my side of the family. He was on a diuretic and it lost effectivenss as time went on. He went through several medication changes over the years and was on an ace inhibitor near the end which was very effective in controlling the hypertension. My son, due to partially working kidneys, has chronic hypertension. His doctors put him on beta blockers (Adalat and some others). He had severe reactions from all of them, which got worse the longer he was on the meds. He was switched to an ace inhibitor with no problems. In fact he takes the same ace inhibitor as I do, just a different dosage. In my case the ace inhibitor was the way to go. I am going for another checkup in a couple of weeks so I will ask my doctor and see what he says about the diuretics. What I offered was a suggestion for netso to take up with his doctor. Of course medical opinions change over time. This is going to be interesting!

'bent Brian
Old 12-20-04, 02:26 PM
Banned.

I don't think they really know and are just bluffing and experimenting until they find something that works on you and me!

I tried the ACE inhibitor and nearly coughed myself to death.

I guess each of our bodies are different. Perhaps the docs in Albuquerque and Ohio need to talk with the docs in Denver. I have had four MD's and one DO prescribe and swear by diuretics!
Old 12-20-04, 02:41 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
I, too, have a resting pulse around 43 to 46. I inherit a tendency toward hypertension from my maternal grandmother, who was once tested at 260/200 (!), but lived until age 94 anyway. When my BP tested out at 140/90 at age 23, I decided I needed to do something proactively. I gave up the salt shaker cold turkey, but sodium restriction proved to be necesssary, but not sufficient, for me. What finally cut my BP by 30/20 was going on the Pritikin low-fat diet, getting my own sphygmomanometer, so that I could monitor my BP between (annual or semi-annual) blood bank donations or (even rarer) doctor's office visits, and practicing slow, deep breathing and relaxation/meditation techniques. Psychologically, I have mellowed considerably with age (I consider myself a reformed hard-driving "Type A" personality), and this undoubtedly has helped me, as well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-20-04, 02:42 PM
'Bent Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DNVRFOX I think you hit it on the head when you said we are all different. I did not have a problem with the coughing. It was relatively minor with a bit of "dry throat". What is interesting is that the ace inhibitor was my first med (I enquired about diuretics but was told they were not that effective for long term treatment) and my son wound up on the same med as me with good results. I think Adalat works quicker than the Prinivil though. As I said this is going to be an interesting thread! My physical is in a couple of weeks and I'm seeing a different doc this time so I'll see what he says.

'bent Brian
Old 12-20-04, 04:28 PM
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 55 and have been battling HBP for some 15 years (extreme HBP runs in the family) and was diagonised in the Spring with Insulin Resistant Diabiteces. Without meds my pressure is 220/160, on my meds (Avapro 300mg, Bisoprolol Fumarate 5mg and Doxazosin Mesylate 2mg, all once a day, plus an 81 mg Aspirin) prior to biking my pressure was 135-145/95. Started biking seriously in late May 04, went to the Cardiologist two weeks ago for the first time since April, pressure in left arm 124/84, in right arm 114/84. Thats at least a 20 point drop on top and 10 points on the bottom. Doctor says if I keep it up, in the Spring when I go for next appointment he'll drop a med.

As far as I'm concerned biking has done more for me in 6 months than all the doctors combined have done in the 15 years. If I can do it anyone can do it, it's a matter of wanting to do it.

Along with biking I've also changed my diet, no white breads, no fried foods, no candy, cake, cookies or soda. I started eating Oatmeal, Yogurts, Cottage Cheese, salads, fruits, cut back on the number of times I eat meat a week, eat more fish, vegtables, rice, chicken, etc. It's taken a bit to get used to, but for a junk food junkie I think I've done dam good.
Old 12-20-04, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bop Bop
I am 55 and have been battling HBP for some 15 years (extreme HBP runs in the family) and was diagonised in the Spring with Insulin Resistant Diabiteces. Without meds my pressure is 220/160, on my meds (Avapro 300mg, Bisoprolol Fumarate 5mg and Doxazosin Mesylate 2mg, all once a day, plus an 81 mg Aspirin) prior to biking my pressure was 135-145/95. Started biking seriously in late May 04, went to the Cardiologist two weeks ago for the first time since April, pressure in left arm 124/84, in right arm 114/84. Thats at least a 20 point drop on top and 10 points on the bottom. Doctor says if I keep it up, in the Spring when I go for next appointment he'll drop a med.

As far as I'm concerned biking has done more for me in 6 months than all the doctors combined have done in the 15 years. If I can do it anyone can do it, it's a matter of wanting to do it.

Along with biking I've also changed my diet, no white breads, no fried foods, no candy, cake, cookies or soda. I started eating Oatmeal, Yogurts, Cottage Cheese, salads, fruits, cut back on the number of times I eat meat a week, eat more fish, vegtables, rice, chicken, etc. It's taken a bit to get used to, but for a junk food junkie I think I've done dam good.
Super story - way to go!!
Old 12-20-04, 04:51 PM
Banned.

Done all of that years ago. Still have high BP!
Old 12-20-04, 06:48 PM
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skydive,

Thank you.

Fox,

I'm sure you have, but I was to stupid years ago to listen to everyone who told me what I am now telling everyone. I only wish I'd listened I may have been off the meds altogether.
Old 12-20-04, 07:46 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bop Bop
Fox,

I'm sure you have, but I was to stupid years ago to listen to everyone who told me what I am now telling everyone. I only wish I'd listened I may have been off the meds altogether.
Mine was doing okay until this *&^%*&^ atrial fibrillation. Then it zoomed (for no known reason??) to 190/90!

I think all of the 6 meds I am taking are interacting causing unforeseen side effects.
Old 12-21-04, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diuretics ARE used for BP control--I've been on Dyazide for ~10 years, and between that and diet/exercise, my BP stays around 110/60. When I go off the diuretic, which I do occasionally (with the doctor's approval) to see if I really need it, it goes up 20-30 points on both sides. No side effects that I'm aware of (there's evidence of a link between the drug and Type II diabetes, but I haven't seen anything definitive).
As other posts said, though, there are a ton of drugs out there for BP control, and your doctor certainly will experiment until you find something that works.
Old 12-21-04, 08:14 PM
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have high b.p & I take one Bendrofluazide (2.5Mg) a day and this seams to keep it right ,it used to be one 5Mg pill a day & before that it was a beta blocker so its all good, if I stop taking the one 2.5Mg pill my bp goes up to 168/90 so just that little diuretic pill every day seems to do the job OK for me.
Old 12-24-04, 08:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of what I have read suggests diuretics can be an important part of treating HBP. However, my new (to me) cardiologist recently indicated he probably would be taking me off the diuretic (lisinopril HCTZ - just drop the HCTZ).

He put me on Coreg, a fairly new beta blocker that seems quite effective and hasn't shown any side effects.

Strange to think how differently people react to the meds.