Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm a Slug!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 03:17 PM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a Slug!

Lately I've been thinking about winding down for the season which is funny because the whole year has been kind of wound down. I really enjoy this time of year with the more comfortable temps and drier air. I usually get in many metrics on the weekends through to the start of real winter but my pace will be much more relaxed, taking in the sites and just enjoying my time on the bike. So I stopped by the LBS today to see some friends and pick up a complimentary entry to a local metric this weekend. In walked a couple guys, separately, each whom made me feel like a total slacker.

Dean Davis stopped by to pick up a bike he had overhauled. He told us the story of his recent (one of several) national championship in triathlon. He finished first in the 80-84yo category. For a while he was ranked number 2 in the world at the ironman distance. He looks amazing for an 83yo!

Tom Baker also came in to pick up his bike. He was heading out to do a 20 hour training ride on the BRP tomorrow as practice for his non stop attempt to ride the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, all 470 miles in what he hopes will be 45 hours. The record is just under 30 hours for the distance and 48K' of climbing. Tom I think is 65yo.

My excuse is these guys have unlimited freedom to chase their goals. They aren't driving kids to practice or dealing with family in the way those with younger children might. Maybe I'm just rationalizing all this and I'm really just a slug. It made me feel a bit motivated to hear about these guys out there doing it. I'll get through my metric this weekend and see how I feel after that. lol
Old 09-22-11, 03:44 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I really enjoy this time of year with the more comfortable temps and drier air. I usually get in many metrics on the weekends through to the start of real winter but my pace will be much more relaxed, taking in the sites and just enjoying my time on the bike.
Shouldn't one always??
Old 09-22-11, 03:57 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Shouldn't one always??
I do, but sometimes the pace becomes more of a priority. I always enjoy time on my bike but this time of year has a slightly different focus.
Old 09-22-11, 04:05 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I do, but sometimes the pace becomes more of a priority. I always enjoy time on my bike but this time of year has a slightly different focus.
Well, from your previous postings, I know one thing for sure - YOU ARE NOT A SLUG
Old 09-22-11, 04:08 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
It must be interesting to have that level of elite cyclist in your area. It also must be nice to have the Smokey Mountains as your playground!
Old 09-22-11, 04:34 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Well, from your previous postings, I know one thing for sure - YOU ARE NOT A SLUG
Thanks, I guess it feels relative at times. Those guys are in a different league.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
It must be interesting to have that level of elite cyclist in your area. It also must be nice to have the Smokey Mountains as your playground!
You know, I run into them from time to time but not all that often. Probably because while I'm hanging out at the bike shop they are out riding their bikes! lol I think we have it pretty good around here for riding, or hiking, paddling, fishing, whatever outdoors. The best thing though is there isn't a mall within 50 miles! haha

Lots of riders from your area come down to get a jump on the riding season in late March or April. It is becoming a destination for college teams and those looking for a cycling vacation.
Old 09-22-11, 04:39 PM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For most of us, cycling is a hobby, hobbies are supposed to be fun. To me at least, 20 hrs non stop on a bike is not much fun. I ride because I enjoy it. I think some people lose sight of that.
Old 09-22-11, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You are a slug?

I am a strong, fast rider.

That does not, of course, mean that I would finish a 100K ahead of you. <G>
Old 09-22-11, 05:05 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazyb
For most of us, cycling is a hobby, hobbies are supposed to be fun. To me at least, 20 hrs non stop on a bike is not much fun. I ride because I enjoy it. I think some people lose sight of that.
There are a lot of ways to enjoy cycling. I had a great time in a practice race Tuesday evening, including recovering from the total exertion. I don't enjoy the ulta endurance rides, but I know many people who do. The most fun I have on a bike is when I'm in a group, going as fast as I possibly can. Meeting a challenge and testing your limits can be every bit as much fun as "smelling the roses". Try broadening your scope, crazyb: you might find some new things you enjoy!
Old 09-22-11, 05:14 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
There are a lot of ways to enjoy cycling. I had a great time in a practice race Tuesday evening, including recovering from the total exertion. I don't enjoy the ulta endurance rides, but I know many people who do. The most fun I have on a bike is when I'm in a group, going as fast as I possibly can. Meeting a challenge and testing your limits can be every bit as much fun as "smelling the roses". Try broadening your scope, crazyb: you might find some new things you enjoy!
Agreed that there are MANY ways to enjoy bicycling, and we should all be appreciative of the variety of ways that folks use.

Heck, even I, at times, enjoy a steep (for me, that is) hill, because of the feeling of accomplishment and knowing that I got just a bit stronger in the process.

And I truly appreciate the accomplishments of our 50+ racing and training crowd, and enjoy reading their exploits. Thanks.
Old 09-22-11, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are only two things I know about cycling: You can always get better, and there is always someone better than you. By acknowledging those immutable laws of nature, and all their implications, you come to see that others can serve as an inspiration, but you should never compare yourself unfavorably to them.
Old 09-22-11, 05:30 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyb
I often romanticize ultra endurance rides like mega brevets, randonneuring etc but the reality is it is very very hard. I have over the years toyed with the idea of doing an ultra series but then I realize I probably don't have the time or motivation for that type of training. Some people enjoy the challenge and pain for super long rides. It takes all types. I certainly respect the effort though even if it might not be for me.
Old 09-22-11, 05:37 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I often romanticize ultra endurance rides like mega brevets, randonneuring etc but the reality is it is very very hard. I have over the years toyed with the idea of doing an ultra series but then I realize I probably don't have the time or motivation for that type of training. Some people enjoy the challenge and pain for super long rides. It takes all types. I certainly respect the effort though even if it might not be for me.
One of our BF members is a RAAM winner (in his class), and his stories and tips for training are great reading. Nothing wrong with exploring the outer limits of your sport and your own abilities.
Old 09-22-11, 06:17 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, BikeWNC, if you really are a slug, you should come on out to Eugene and join the competition. We have so many there is an annual contest to be Slug Queen. https://www.slugqueen.com/2009/02/10/hello-world/ I don't think we've ever had a Slug Queen cyclist.
Old 09-22-11, 06:27 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheHen
Well, BikeWNC, if you really are a slug, you should come on out to Eugene and join the competition. We have so many there is an annual contest to be Slug Queen. https://www.slugqueen.com/2009/02/10/hello-world/ I don't think we've ever had a Slug Queen cyclist.
I've heard about your slugs. In fact my mother-in-law was talking about the size of them just yesterday. She hates slugs and relishes in their destruction. lol
Old 09-22-11, 06:30 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BikeWNC and slug are polar opposites. Maybe, you are just getting ready to kick your own ass to get it going again?

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 09-22-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 06:43 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
BikeWNC and slug are polar opposites. Maybe, you are just getting ready to kick our own ass to get it going again?
Ha, I hope so. It's been a lost year it seems. I feel the need to regain some better fitness. Those guys in the shop today seem to have enough motivation to go around. I've got 15 miles of hiking the next two days then a metric bike ride on Sunday. It's a start.
Old 09-22-11, 07:05 PM
Banned.

Ha, I hope so. It's been a lost year it seems. I feel the need to regain some better fitness. Those guys in the shop today seem to have enough motivation to go around. I've got 15 miles of hiking the next two days then a metric bike ride on Sunday. It's a start.
For some folks, that would be a finish - literally.
Old 09-22-11, 07:10 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I just want to make it to "Slug" status if you are considering your fitness level a that. You rock and are an inspiration for many of us. Dnvrfox, too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-22-11, 07:14 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andy - Similar feeling here. As you know I have a pair of teenage girls who, although I treasure them both, CAN be a challenge to raise. As a result, my training and fitness this year have been a struggle to keep up with. Done OK on the event rides, but it's been a switch from last year. I've been able to hold wheel and run with the faster riders on the flatter parts of the routes, but not as strong climbing this year. I'm down about 20% in climbing volume, so that's no surprise. Hoping next year I can put it together for a season of PB's on these rides we both know, as well as change up a few, and go back and do the Death Ride in CA. for time in 2012. Perhaps you, jppe, Neal & I can get in something before season's end.
Old 09-22-11, 07:23 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I just want to make it to "Slug" status if you are considering your fitness level a that. You rock and are an inspiration for many of us. Dnvrfox, too.

Bill
Thanks Bill. I've benefited from years of consistency though I'm feeling this year's lack of exercise hours. We all get inspiration and motivation whatever level of fitness we have, from within and from others. One of the great things about boards like this one is the information exchange and the encouragement we can all give others.

LOL DnvrFox. I'm not gonna say I won't be very sore come Monday. The mountain hike with a moderate pack will put a hurting on me.
Old 09-22-11, 07:28 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAlt
Andy - Similar feeling here. As you know I have a pair of teenage girls who, although I treasure them both, CAN be a challenge to raise. As a result, my training and fitness this year have been a struggle to keep up with. Done OK on the event rides, but it's been a switch from last year. I've been able to hold wheel and run with the faster riders on the flatter parts of the routes, but not as strong climbing this year. I'm down about 20% in climbing volume, so that's no surprise. Hoping next year I can put it together for a season of PB's on these rides we both know, as well as change up a few, and go back and do the Death Ride in CA. for time in 2012. Perhaps you, jppe, Neal & I can get in something before season's end.
I'd like to ride with you guys again this year but you will have to reign it in a bit for me to hang. My weight is really dragging on me on the climbs. I'll get that corrected by spring so I can hopefully be back on pace. My daughter is entering her competitive gymnastics season next weekend. From now through Feb. I'll be on the road a couple weekends a month for that. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. Heading over to the Hilly Hellacious Metric on Sunday. Neal and I will be cruising it (at least that is the plan until Neal drops me). haha
Old 09-22-11, 07:48 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More like, slugger! aka big hitter!
Old 09-22-11, 08:15 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Well, slug or no slug, I hear you BikeWNC. With the change in the seasons - less evening light - and an increase in responsibilities - more driving my teenage daughter to various places - my mileage is way down from the summer and I too have been adjusting my attitude to fewer miles and lower performance. And because I'm staying in the wrong part of town for the time being, I haven't been on a proper hill-climbing ride in more than a month! As I ramp down on weekly mileage, and miss whole weeks owing to travel, I can feel my abilities diminish and my first response is a sense of loss - it felt so good to have the fitness I had not so long ago. But I try to take a different attitude - I can't rock and roll when I'm only getting in 150 miles/week, but I can enjoy those miles and build my base and work on technique, etc.

(In fact, in my case this is all kind of temporary - I'm decamping to Australia in October, so everything will soon change, but somehow that doesn't affect much how I feel about this current winding down.)
Old 09-22-11, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,048 Times in 4,478 Posts
Regarding those ultra-types, it's not for everyone, obviously. BF member Shprung just came back from France where he finished Paris-Brest-Paris on a fixed gear!
You may have read my posts about my 65 year old friend who this year completed RAAM solo for the third time.
While these are amazing feats of endurance I would never, ever wish to try either, partly because of the sleep deprivation. Even if I didn't have to work and could ride whenever I wanted I would probably settle on about 400 miles per week, that's what I did the last time I had extended time off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.